Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default female changing clothes at shelters in smokies

I am taking my 17 y/o daughter on a section hike after graduation in May, from Newfound Gap to Hot Springs. Being that we will likely have to use the shelters in the smokies, what is the standard practice if she needs to change clothes at camp? Do females usually change in the privy? Just trying to make sure this is covered before we leave.

thanks,

Mike

If you are worried bring along a small tarp or poncho to set or hold up for modesty for her. She could wear a sports bra or tankini and shorts under her clothes so she doesn't have to undress completely. I don't recommend changing in the privies!

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

There's no standard practice as far as I know, it depends on how modest the person is.
    Other hikers are generally very respectful of this.
    Here are a few suggestions.

Change in the sleeping bag if she's not wet and muddy

Change behind the shelter while you be the lookout

Change a few minutes before getting to the shelter

Ask people to turn around

Walk a little ways from the shelter and stand behind a tree

* Hiking females have a knack for changing and removing articles of clothing without actually undressing, it just takes a little practice.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 03-15-2017 at 17:15.

Most of the time when I see a female hiker changing, I just turn my back. Otherwise, I get embarrassed if Im caught gawking and its pretty awkward.

Usually, women hikers arent that shy, I've noticed. They change in shelters in their sleeping bags or don't give two ****s who sees them. I think it comes from confidence in themselves and their bodies and trust in fellow hikers.

Journal Entries

I haven't had to change clothes in front of people yet, but if I'm cold and wet, I'm getting into dry clothes one way or another. If somebody sees me, oh well. Most of the time I go off in the trees a little ways away.

I remember hiking in a windy rainstorm one afternoon. We were drenched when we got to the shelter, and what bliss - nobody was there! We both (husband and me) stripped down, dried off as well as we could, and changed into dry stuff. Couple minutes later a few hikers showed up, likewise drenched, then some more, and a few more after that. All of them managed to change modestly in that shelter, despite the crowd. It takes some practice, but it's possible to sit down with a jacket over your lap and change the bottom half. Upper half is more difficult if you're not skinny.

If I were young and attractive hiking alone, and needed to change in a shelter where it was only guys, and it was raining, I'd use the privy.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Not all of the GSMNP shelters have privies:
    To the best of my recollection only Spence, Mt Collins, Icewater Spring, and Pecks Corner have privies.
    If she happens to need to use the privy, that can be a good place to change while she's at it. I believe all of these privies have been updated to be about 12' wide (the toilet see taking up one of three 4' wide sections at a time).

[Update]
    Spence, Mt. Collins, Icewater Springs, Pecks Corner, Tricorner, & Cosby Knob are the GSMNP AT campsites with privies.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 03-16-2017 at 09:34.

I don't worry about changing if it's pants or a top. The undies are like a bikini, yeah?

If it's more than that, I'll usually warn anyone that I'm about to get all the way naked and they'll make themselves scarce. No one likes a surprise butt, even if it is a nice looking one.

That's a nice section. I hope y'all enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience has been that if it's a dry day folks go behind the shelter or tree or change in their sleeping bag. If it's wet...and I've seen this a number of times.....folks just loudly announce "Naked man or Naked women" whatever the case may be and other hikers just turn away for a few minutes.

Journal Entries

When no ones near many just face direction no ones in, and change away. Ive inadvertently seen a few things returning sooner than expected from privy, water, hanging, etc. You just look away and retreat.

Your daughter has you to look out for strays though

And men have exact same problem around shelters. Theres plenty of women on the trail. Even if not , almost no one wants to get a surprise. Ever see an 80 yr old naked? You dont want to. Not more than once at least.

Nothing wrong with privy if theres a bunch of people around either. Dont overthink it, youll figure each instance out just fine at the time. Walk away behind bush, etc. Its common sense.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-15-2017 at 21:03.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nascarmikeb View Post
    I am taking my 17 y/o daughter on a section hike after graduation in May, from Newfound Gap to Hot Springs. Being that we will likely have to use the shelters in the smokies, what is the standard practice if she needs to change clothes at camp? Do females usually change in the privy? Just trying to make sure this is covered before we leave.

thanks,

Mike
    My experience comes from coed locker rooms and adult leagues I've played in. I don't think it's going to be a deal to other hikers, like others have said no one wants to get caught gawking. I think another thing if you are really concerned is to make sure other hikers know that you are papa bear. I've played hockey with some husband wife pairs and in the locker room everyone is buck naked but wouldn't dare staring at your teammates wife, besides we all were really worried about getting our own equipment on or off. I imagine the shelter community will be similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Not in the privy, ew. Very cramped and not sanitary.

Inside the sleeping bag works for some people.

The classic is to step behind the shelter. I bring my sit pad or ground sheet to stand on. Change top first, then bottom, one is never really uncovered for more than an instant.

If the weather is bad, step to the back of the shelter. It's polite to say something to other hikers as a warning. Both my wife and daughter have changed into camp/sleeping clothes using both of these methods.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

thanks for all of the great tips/advice. I;m sure she will find the right solution, having never section hiked the AT, i just needed the tips. Yes, we are most definitely looking forward to this section in particular. Should be very nice. while I'm here, do any of you know what approx. night time temps to expect in late may 20th-28th

Quote Originally Posted by nascarmikeb View Post
    . . . do any of you know what approx. night time temps to expect in late may 20th-28th
    Check out http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate...tates/ustn0196

or

As per the NPS:

Spring
    March through May: Spring brings with it unpredictable weather. Changes occur rapidly - sunny skies can yield to snow flurries in a few hours. March is the month with the most radical changes; snow can fall at any time during the month, particularly in the higher elevations. Temperatures in the lower elevations have a mean high of 61ºF. Low temperatures, which are often below freezing, have a mean of 42ºF. By mid-April the weather is usually milder. Daytime temperatures often reach the 70s and occasionally the 80s. Below freezing temperatures at night are uncommon in the lower elevations but still occur higher up. April averages over four inches of rain, usually in the form of afternoon showers. May is warmer, with daytime highs in the 70s and 80s and lows in the 40s and 50s. May rainfall averages about 4.5 inches.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Well, one issue is that Smoky Mountain shelters are double decker's and it's impossible to sit up without hitting one's head on the roof or the upper bunk. Changing clothes is a challenge, as it has to be done laying down if done in the bunk.

It's not too often one has to change undies, so exposing private parts usually isn't an issue. You just have to slip the pants on or off while getting out or into your bag or changing a shirt. It's pretty universal that guys will discretely look away while woman change clothes.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Never had a problem changing in the shelters. Like everyone said, just went behind the shelter and if that wasnt possible just ask folks to look away for a minute. Enjoy your trip, sounds like fun.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    To the best of my recollection only Spence, Mt Collins, Icewater Spring, and Pecks Corner have privies.
    If she happens to need to use the privy, that can be a good place to change while she's at it. I believe all of these privies have been updated to be about 12' wide (the toilet see taking up one of three 4' wide sections at a time).
    OP, bear in mind that some privies are not enclosed. They'll have a plywood privacy screen from mid-calf up to armpit, open above and below. Also may not have a door. Still better than nothing.

I know Double Spring Gap did too and I'm pretty sure Tricorner Knob did as well.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Not in the privy, ew. Very cramped and not sanitary...
    Have you seen the Privies that are in GSMNP now?
    Yea, the few privies they used to have (LeConte, IceWater, Spence) were single width boxes with no extra room.
    But since then, the privies have been replaced and are now about 9' to 12' wide. The toilet can be placed in three different positions. The other two positions are just blank platforms.
    Here's a picture I found with a quick Google image search of one of the GSMNP privies. Not sure if the door has been ripped off or is simply all the way open so that you can't see the door.
    Picture of typical GSMNP Privy

Quote Originally Posted by copro View Post
    I know Double Spring Gap did too and I'm pretty sure Tricorner Knob did as well.
    I've double checked with the GSMNP website (if you attempt to get a General Backpacking Permit, the calendar page indicates if there is a privy or not).
    Double Spring Gap does NOT have a Privy, but Tricorner Knob, as does Cosby Knob.

Here's an update list.
    GSMNP AT Shelters with Privy:
    Spence Field
    Mt. Collins
    Icewater Springs
    Pecks Corner
    Tricorner Knob
    Cosby Knob

GSMNP AT Shelters/Campsite WITH OUT Privy:
    Mollies Ridge
    Russell Field
    Derrick Knob
    Silers Bald
    Double Spring Gap
    Davenport Gap

Images

1) Hikers are generally respectful and will almost always turn away if you say something like "Excuse me, I'm going to change my clothes."
    2) But modesty standards are definitely lower on the trail. When you "live" in close proximity to others with limited or often zero private space you lower your expectations of the privacy level available - out of necessity. If you're uncomfortable in "bathing suit" level of exposure in public, or seeing others in theirs, you might be uncomfortable around shelters.

Average high temps in the low to mid 60°'s. A "cold" day would be highs in the 40°'s. Average low temps in the low to mid 40°'s --- but plan on at least a couple nights as low as 30°, just to be safe. 15° to 20° diversions from average temps is very normal over the course of a full week.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Have you seen the Privies that are in GSMNP now?
    Yea, the few privies they used to have (LeConte, IceWater, Spence) were single width boxes with no extra room.
    But since then, the privies have been replaced and are now about 9' to 12' wide. The toilet can be placed in three different positions.
    Clearly I am remembering the old ones. Cool, thanks for the update.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++