WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by FrogLevel View Post
    I loved the book. I never understood the hate he got for it- its just a humorous book about trying to hike. Its typical Bryson. People take things way too seriously.
    Maybe because Bryson rarely passes up a chance to make fun of southerners, not only this book either.

I always loved the book. Never understood the hate.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

The book was my introduction to the A.T. and the reason I hike today. He is a masterful writer, the sort of guy who could go to the hardware store to buy a hammer and somehow come back with an interesting, humorous story. The film is a lightweight affair, absent of Bryson's wonderful history and lore of the trail, but still a pleasant diversion if you enjoyed the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Maybe because Bryson rarely passes up a chance to make fun of southerners, not only this book either.

To be fair we do give him lots of material.

I enjoyed his book. As a pretty pathetic hiker and an even more pathetic humor writer, I thought it was a good blend of both. And now I'd like to shamelessly plug my blog.

www.theauthorofsarcasm.com

In all honesty, I was sort of disappointed that he didn't finish it. I realized it when I was nearing the end of the book and they were only in VA.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JLorenzo77 View Post
    I enjoyed his book. As a pretty pathetic hiker and an even more pathetic humor writer, I thought it was a good blend of both. And now I'd like to shamelessly plug my blog.

www.theauthorofsarcasm.com

In all honesty, I was sort of disappointed that he didn't finish it. I realized it when I was nearing the end of the book and they were only in VA.
    You're a good writer! I enjoyed your essay on crayons.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Well thank you illabelle! I appreciate that!

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I've read a lot of A.T. books and Bryson's is still probably my favorite. From what I've seen it Seems like an author pretending to be a hiker can do a better job of telling a tale than a hiker pretending to be an author.
    As the thousands of accounts at TrailJournals certainly attest! One can literally see the failure of the American school system when attempting to read such excrement.

I imagine Bryson isn't overly concerned about what some sanctimonious thru-hikers or forum dwellers think of him. The guy's doing all right, and the fact he loves walking is a nice peculiarity in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I like the way this fella thinks...thanks for da tip!

-

this is the interweb - everyone likes to hate on everything

I am a lifelong big reader - likely over a million pages - IMO opinion the only 2 AT authors who could write are bryson and model t

the only AT movie that I ever considered subjecting my non-hiker wife to, was a walk in the woods

Images

The first time I seen a "Bill Bryson is a candy ass" tee shirt, Baltimore Jack was wearing it.
    Settled law, in my opinion.

V8
    ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

-

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    As the thousands of accounts at TrailJournals certainly attest! One can literally see the failure of the American school system when attempting to read such excrement.
    obviously your education did not learn you the definition/ purpose of a journal, it is a quick unedited account - as a opposed to a "memoir"

I liked A. Digger Stoltz' stories of a semi-fictional hike. Stumblin Thru. They are pretty funny.
    Last edited by egilbe; 03-17-2017 at 16:56.

Default Pansy-Ass

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    i didn't hate either one though. as Jack always said, Bryson might be a candy ass. But he made a butt load of money off a lot of us. :0
    From a while ago but funny.

From Just Passin' Thru by Winton Porter: Jensine, from the hostel in Franklin, says "That pasny-ass wouldn't know which side of the mountain to walk off when I was done with him. You know he pissed off a lot of people along this trail, and he better not show his face around here again. Did you hear what he sad about my chili? And the bunkhouse - what does he expect, the Hilton? With a Continental breakfast?"

I'm not a southerner and I've never through-hiked the trail, but I agree with you. I thought Bryson came off as being very smarmy and condescending all around. There were funny things in the book and he's a very good writer, I just didn't care for his attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by GANGGREEN View Post
    I'm not a southerner and I've never through-hiked the trail, but I agree with you. I thought Bryson came off as being very smarmy and condescending all around. There were funny things in the book and he's a very good writer, I just didn't care for his attitude.
    I'm a southerner, and took no offence. Even southerners, like Jeff Foxworthy, make fun of southerners.

Bryson is the only guy who made millions of dollars off the Trail and right now he's got his feet up, smoking a cigar, sipping some sherry and isn't even thinking about the A.T. or your opinion of him for that matter.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++