WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Add-on external pack frame

http://www.ventragear.com/shop/mainframe

This is an interesting product. Has anybody tried this or something similar? I was thinking it would be great to pair with a cuben stuffpack.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Journal Entries

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post

This is an interesting product. Has anybody tried this or something similar? I was thinking it would be great to pair with a cuben stuffpack.
    OR... you could just get an Arc Blast!

Default Add-on external pack frame

I like the price tag on this one, the flexibility potential, and the higher weight limit.

Not really looking for an alternative, but a review on this product or something similar.

Here's a forum discussion on BPL from almost 1.5 years ago, so it's been out a while.

Review.

Frankenpacks are not the way to go. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post

Looks very cool. It could augment an Army ALICE pack by removing the Alice shoulder straps and then see how it works. It would be fun to experiment with this frame by tearing down some old internal packs and see what happens.

Not a review, but I DIY'd an add-on frame for an old Golite Pinnacle last year. I used a 3/8" diameter aluminum rod about 6ft long, some Velcro, and 2 bits of tubular webbing. The rod was bent in a U-shape, and then the uprights were bent to match the contours of my back. On the pack, I sewed the tubular webbing shut at one end, then to the hip belt, close to the pack bag. Several Velcro bits were sewn along the sides and across the top, so it could attach to itself after wrapping around the rod. To attach the frame to the pack, the upside-down "U" is inserted into the webbing pockets, and secured in place with the Velcro. It added approx 18oz to the pack, but I can now comfortably 70+ pounds if needed in a pack that was rated for sub-30#.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    Not a review, but I DIY'd an add-on frame for an old Golite Pinnacle last year. I used a 3/8" diameter aluminum rod about 6ft long, some Velcro, and 2 bits of tubular webbing. The rod was bent in a U-shape, and then the uprights were bent to match the contours of my back. On the pack, I sewed the tubular webbing shut at one end, then to the hip belt, close to the pack bag. Several Velcro bits were sewn along the sides and across the top, so it could attach to itself after wrapping around the rod. To attach the frame to the pack, the upside-down "U" is inserted into the webbing pockets, and secured in place with the Velcro. It added approx 18oz to the pack, but I can now comfortably 70+ pounds if needed in a pack that was rated for sub-30#.
    Great work and ingenuity. I was looking for diy info on making a suspended mesh system and that's what led me to this product. I love the idea of having flexibility in all of my gear.

Can you post a pic of the finished product?

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    Great work and ingenuity. I was looking for diy info on making a suspended mesh system and that's what led me to this product. I love the idea of having flexibility in all of my gear.

Can you post a pic of the finished product?

new twist but a very old idea. Pack boards ( and there's another name I have seen but can't think of now) have been around for a long long time.

++ New Posts ++