WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Dalton pit stop

:banana Dalton pit stop

Hey all, I bought a spot in Dalton right on the AT. I am going to allow hikers to pitch a tent in the back yard and use the shower for $5. If I am free, I can provide rides. Pending availability I might be able to put someone up inside. This is all new so bare with me as I figure it out! Hopefully will be able to do some cook outs in prime traffic season! Cheers guys and stay dry!

Brown Chicken (2011)

Do yourself a favor and set up house rules. If you are letting folks in the house you have two choices, consign yourself to petty and sometimes not so petty theft or figure out a way to keep sections of the house isolated by locks from guests. I seem to remember a nice post from the owners of Tiggers Treehouse ? in the Hanover area a few years ago cataloging how much gear had disappeared when they allowed hikers to stay at their place.

The other issue is decide up front on how many days a guest can stay and if you are an alcohol/pot free location (now that mass has recreational pot). If you elect to allow either expect that on occasion you could have unpleasant issues that you have to deal with. If you do have neighbors make sure they are cool with it as many wouldn't be and next thing you know the zoning enforcement guy is knocking on the door.

Remember the second that you ask to be paid for services, your homeowners insurance is null and void as you are running a commercial establishment. That means you could lose the house and everything you own if someone gets hurt as you probably no longer have insurance. Even if they don't get hurt they can sue you anyhow and that means you need a lawyer. If you decide to stick with donations realize they have to be truly donations, if you in any way try to make pay a requirement for stay you are a commercial establishment. If you strictly stick with donations expect the majority will not donate.

I am sorry that the real world sucks and that I may have popped your bubble but many would be hostel owners have learned the hard way that even if 99% of the people are great that 1% can really screw things up.

++ New Posts ++