Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face Older female hiking solo March of 2017

I am a hippie Grandma who will be hiking this coming March, 2017. I plan to hike solo. But would love to have someone or more than one who would like to travel solo as well but like to meet up at night or check on each other along the trail or hike a few days together.

I am going to start out hiking a section. I have a little over two weeks for this endeavor and I would like to hike from Springer Mountain to Franklin, Nc or Fontana Dam. Or maybe start at Harpers Ferry going south. I plan on this first section being about 125 to 150 miles.....Or maybe hike the Shenandoah Mountain Park. I cannot do a thru hike because of the time involved. I will definitely plan another section hike after this. Does anyone have any ideas on where to start for a section hike?

If I say I will do this....I will! I have started training at the gym....walking....stair stepping, weights, etc. I will be slow at first.....but if Grandma Gatewood can do this with Keds Tennis Shoes so can I.
    Parisiluv

Images

Two weeks on the trail is a great experience. If you are going in March, and you start in Georgia, you'll have plenty of company in camp at night. After a couple of days you'll recognize everyone. There's a pretty good sense of camaraderie and support among the hikers starting thru-hikes, and you'll fit right in as a long section hiker. (That's been my experience anyway.)

Good luck with the planning and the hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Is March the only time you can hike? I could start with you at Springer and walk a week in GA the first week of April. ( I'm a teacher, and that is my spring break). I like to hike alone, or with a quiet partner.

Welcome aboard.
    March, hey? An interesting month to choose for a 2 week section hike. Is that the only 2 weeks you have for the entire year?
    Have fun.

Wayne to

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Actually it isn't the only 2 weeks I have to choose......was thinking that I don't like to hike in the heat and don't mind cold weather.....my timing can change. So, tell me, what is it about March that I need to know? Was raised in the mountains of NC but have been in Texas where the heat is horrible...

Actually I can hike anytime. My husband and I are retired and hiking is not his cup of tea. I was thinking about the weather. Don't like the heat but can tolerate the cold. I realize it may snow, rain and sleet in the mountains.....I may have to rethink my starting so the first week of April is a possibility. I like to hike solo and travel solo....and I am very quiet....introverted hippie. I have traveled all over Europe solo as my husband does not want to cross the "big Pond". Have you hiked before? Is that your trail name?

Images

Hiking during April in Shenandoah National Park is perfect if you like cooler weather and less people. The AT through the park is a well traveled path that is not difficult and offers plenty of opt out options along the Skyline Drive. The Waysides in the park that sell hot food as well as backpacking food are open by the second week in April which cuts down on the need to carry much food. Shelters on the trail are typically 10-12 miles apart and have ample tent sites, some more than others, for setting up a tent.
    Most hikers will take 7-9 days hiking through Shenandoah at a leisurely pace and you might do so also. A 2nd week might see you hiking north of the park ending in Harpers Ferry, W.Va. a great place to get a shuttle back to your car.
    Last edited by johnnybgood; 05-22-2016 at 16:03.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Parisiluv View Post
    Actually I can hike anytime. My husband and I are retired and hiking is not his cup of tea. I was thinking about the weather. Don't like the heat but can tolerate the cold. I realize it may snow, rain and sleet in the mountains.....I may have to rethink my starting so the first week of April is a possibility. I like to hike solo and travel solo....and I am very quiet....introverted hippie. I have traveled all over Europe solo as my husband does not want to cross the "big Pond". Have you hiked before? Is that your trail name?
    I hike quite a bit, especially in the north Georgia mountains, as they are my "home turf". I will be doing the GA section solo in a few weeks. Sometimes in March, I look out my window at the freezing cold rain and think, "Man, I'm glad I"m not on the trail today". I don't know anything about the trail beyond North Carolina, so other folks might have better insight. If you like, we can communicate via email rather than on this forum about it.

Hi ~ I'm a hippie Grandma too. 70. I haven't yet made firm plans for next year but the Appalachian Trail has moved to the top of my list. I'd like to stay in touch with you either via this forum, email or facebook. Just kind of knowing one person before hitting the trail feels good. I've backpacked and hiked all over Colorado (my home state), hiked the Continental Divide Trail thru Wyoming (wrote a guide), traveled solo in 21 countries (with a small pack, on foot and on public transportation). I've slowed up a bit now but still raring to go. I was thinking of starting a little later but will do some research and see what kinds of plans I can make. Keep in touch! ~

Hi ~ I'm a hippie Grandma too. 70. I haven't yet made firm plans for next year but the Appalachian Trail has moved to the top of my list. I'd like to stay in touch with you either via this forum, email or facebook. Just kind of knowing one person before hitting the trail feels good. I've backpacked and hiked all over Colorado (my home state), hiked the Continental Divide Trail thru Wyoming (wrote a guide), traveled solo in 21 countries (with a small pack, on foot and on public transportation). I've slowed up a bit now but still raring to go. I was thinking of starting a little later but will do some research and see what kinds of plans I can make. Keep in touch! ~

Thank you for the info. I appreciate all info.....was also thinking of the Shenandoah too.

Hi Stitches,

Thank you for the reply. Yes we can communicate via email / facebook. I have relatives in the Easley/Anderson, SC area and had family in North George, Hiawassee area, but grew up in NC near the Smokey Mountains. I would like to get back to my roots for a few weeks.

Hi! Yes, do keep in touch....it is nice to know someone before hitting the trail. I am looking at different trails along the AT, reading every book I can get my hands on, listening to pod casts, Youtube, etc. Read Grandma Gatewood's book last week ( a good read). I live in Texas and hate the heat so really want to travel in cooler weather. I grew up in western NC and love the mountains. I am researching gear also because I am buying with the intention of eventually hiking to Maine. I am on Facebook. I am not sure how to give out info on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Parisiluv View Post
    Actually it isn't the only 2 weeks I have to choose......was thinking that I don't like to hike in the heat and don't mind cold weather.....my timing can change. So, tell me, what is it about March that I need to know? Was raised in the mountains of NC but have been in Texas where the heat is horrible...
    I'm in Texas too. March in Texas is much nicer than the south end of the AT. Do you know anything about the weather on the AT in March?

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

ChinMusic's March 2013 trail journal. About normal for March. Not unusual.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=401332

Mid-May, before school is out would be pleasant.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

My as yet unformed plan is to begin at Harper's Ferry and go south as far as I can. I really want to hike sobo through the Shenandoah as I've never been there. In fact, I've done very little hiking in that part of the country. I'd like to go all the way south, but . . . . . if I make it to some point where I can get into Ashville, NC I'll be very happy. I was planning to leave from HF late April/early May. Nice to see so many solo women out there. I know I'll meet some along the way. I hike solo all over but for some reason the AT is a little scary to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheres Lora View Post
    My as yet unformed plan is to begin at Harper's Ferry and go south as far as I can. I really want to hike sobo through the Shenandoah as I've never been there. In fact, I've done very little hiking in that part of the country. I'd like to go all the way south, but . . . . . if I make it to some point where I can get into Ashville, NC I'll be very happy. I was planning to leave from HF late April/early May. Nice to see so many solo women out there. I know I'll meet some along the way. I hike solo all over but for some reason the AT is a little scary to me.
    Hi Wheres Lora,

I too have thought about starting at Harper's Ferry and going South....wanted to end up in Franklin, NC or at least 100 to 125 miles from Harper's Ferry. Shenandoah NP is another place I have thought about starting from and going south. I need a place where my husband or son can pick me up after the hike. I was thinking it would take less than 2 weeks. My email is [email protected] and I am on facebook under Sandra Morgan Walker. I also prefer solo hiking but having never hiked in the AT would like some company occasionally along the way. Are your starting time set in stone? I was thinking of starting a bit earlier than those dates. Kind of wanting to start before the bears wake up.....not sure if that is even a problem? ha.ha. I am still doing research on this. And going to the gym everyday to exercise.....want to lose a bit of weight before I start.

Parisiluv
    (Sandra)

I am also planning on section hiking the Shenandoah/Harpers Ferry Area starting March 12. I am a 23 year old female and I only have until mid April to hike so my dates aren't very flexible. I haven't done much backpacking so I like your idea of meeting up at the shelters at night. I am a fairly quite person who loves hiking. If you are interested in meeting up on the trail/planning a section to do together let me know!

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I have been reading this thread with interest and have felt that I had nothing to add; however . . .PAhiker, if you can work with at least one other person to meet at a shelter at the end of each day, it will be helpful. No need to hike together unless both want that, but sitting around the campfire (if there is one), talking, can make each day out even better.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Sent PM. Already hike SNF, but GA sounds good !
    Just ignore it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++