Happy New Year!

I would like to announce the Third Annual Billville Winter Warmer! This year, the Winter Warmer will be held on March 3, 4 and 5 at the historic Doyle Hotel! (http://doylehotel.com)

Q: What is a 'Winter Warmer"?

A: The Billville Winter Warmer is just an excuse to get together and hang out with friends who love the AT and hiking. It is rather loosely sponsored by Billville (a sub-group of AT hikers and trail angels) but all are welcome. There is only one planned event for the Warmer, and that would be a Saturday morning excursion to the Ironmasters Hostel to join ALDHA on a work trip.

Other than that, there are no planned events other than socializing in the bar on Friday and Saturday night. Options for the weekend are numerous, however, with many hiking options in the area. Also, two years ago, several Billvillians took a tour of Gettysburg. If you have never been there, I highly suggest making the trip. Do so with Jester and/or Baltimore Jack if you can!

In the past, if the conditions are not too bad, we have organized shelter-cleaning hikes. This is just a short hike into a shelter to look around and clean up whatever might need cleaning. This would be a good alternative to the Ironmasters work trip for those looking to do something different.

Q: Where is the Winter Warmer?

A: The Warmer will once again be held at the Doyle Hotel and Bar in downtown Duncannon, PA. There are several rooms available, and the quiet hours start at 2 am. If this is too much, there is a campground just down the street, or the truck stop just outside of town. Last year, we had everyone stay in the Doyle, and it should be that way this year as well, especially if you dont mind curling up on a piece of floor.

The Doyle is kind enough to host this event and they have treated us very well in the past. Pat and Vickey are excellent hosts - and we are lucky to have a great, friendly place like the Doyle to gather. We are welcome to socialize in the main bar, which usually has live entertainment, but we also have access to the upstairs bar if anyone wants to organize some sort of event.

Q: What do I bring to the Warmer?

A: First, bring yourself! Bring your hiking gear and be prepared for snowy and icy conditions. Bring your mountain bike, just in case. I'll be bringing mine (and yes, it has studs for ice riding). Bring any photo albums that you would like to share. Got some hiking videos? Bring your DVD's. I have a portable DVD player and the Doyle has a very large TV in the upstairs bar. If you are a future AT hiker, bring your questions. If you are a past AT hiker, bring your answers.

We would like to invite any hikers that are heading down to Springer to stop in at the Doyle on your way south. What a better way to start your AT hike than to hit one of the famous places on the trail and chew the fat with some like-minded people?

Q: Anything else I should know about the Warmer?

A: Well, as always, Contra Dancing is strictly prohibited. Also, if you are planning to attend, please let me know as soon as possible. I spoke with Pat and we have beds for about 12 people right now. There is space at the hotel for more, so please let me know if you plan on attending and what night(s) you will be staying over. If you don't want to plan ahead, and if you don't mind floor space, you can always crash in somone's room for $5/night.

If you would like more information, or you would like to confirm your attendance, you can post a reply here or send me a Private Message. I hope to see many of you at the Third Annual Billville Winter Warmer!

chomp