WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

Default Billville Winter Warmer - Duncannon, PA - March 3-5

Happy New Year!

I would like to announce the Third Annual Billville Winter Warmer! This year, the Winter Warmer will be held on March 3, 4 and 5 at the historic Doyle Hotel! (http://doylehotel.com)

Q: What is a 'Winter Warmer"?

A: The Billville Winter Warmer is just an excuse to get together and hang out with friends who love the AT and hiking. It is rather loosely sponsored by Billville (a sub-group of AT hikers and trail angels) but all are welcome. There is only one planned event for the Warmer, and that would be a Saturday morning excursion to the Ironmasters Hostel to join ALDHA on a work trip.

Other than that, there are no planned events other than socializing in the bar on Friday and Saturday night. Options for the weekend are numerous, however, with many hiking options in the area. Also, two years ago, several Billvillians took a tour of Gettysburg. If you have never been there, I highly suggest making the trip. Do so with Jester and/or Baltimore Jack if you can!

In the past, if the conditions are not too bad, we have organized shelter-cleaning hikes. This is just a short hike into a shelter to look around and clean up whatever might need cleaning. This would be a good alternative to the Ironmasters work trip for those looking to do something different.

Q: Where is the Winter Warmer?

A: The Warmer will once again be held at the Doyle Hotel and Bar in downtown Duncannon, PA. There are several rooms available, and the quiet hours start at 2 am. If this is too much, there is a campground just down the street, or the truck stop just outside of town. Last year, we had everyone stay in the Doyle, and it should be that way this year as well, especially if you dont mind curling up on a piece of floor.

The Doyle is kind enough to host this event and they have treated us very well in the past. Pat and Vickey are excellent hosts - and we are lucky to have a great, friendly place like the Doyle to gather. We are welcome to socialize in the main bar, which usually has live entertainment, but we also have access to the upstairs bar if anyone wants to organize some sort of event.

Q: What do I bring to the Warmer?

A: First, bring yourself! Bring your hiking gear and be prepared for snowy and icy conditions. Bring your mountain bike, just in case. I'll be bringing mine (and yes, it has studs for ice riding). Bring any photo albums that you would like to share. Got some hiking videos? Bring your DVD's. I have a portable DVD player and the Doyle has a very large TV in the upstairs bar. If you are a future AT hiker, bring your questions. If you are a past AT hiker, bring your answers.

We would like to invite any hikers that are heading down to Springer to stop in at the Doyle on your way south. What a better way to start your AT hike than to hit one of the famous places on the trail and chew the fat with some like-minded people?

Q: Anything else I should know about the Warmer?

A: Well, as always, Contra Dancing is strictly prohibited. Also, if you are planning to attend, please let me know as soon as possible. I spoke with Pat and we have beds for about 12 people right now. There is space at the hotel for more, so please let me know if you plan on attending and what night(s) you will be staying over. If you don't want to plan ahead, and if you don't mind floor space, you can always crash in somone's room for $5/night.

If you would like more information, or you would like to confirm your attendance, you can post a reply here or send me a Private Message. I hope to see many of you at the Third Annual Billville Winter Warmer!

chomp

Very nicely written, Chomp.

Will see you there, and hopefully, will see you before that as well.

Just want to add one thing: Event tho this annual get-together is sponsored by a pretty tight group of friends, it is NOT a closed event, and absolutely anyone is welcome to attend. I particularly like the idea of anyone who's heading South to stop by, as well as those who live nearby who'll be heading down a bit later. This is a very fun, very low-key event, and it gets better every year; hope to see some of you there!

Images

I hope to attend if I can get off from work for a couple days. Haven't been to the Doyle in a year-it's been too long!
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

I live in the Philadelphia area, but I haven't been to The Doyle in years.

It would be fun to go to this just to meet other hikers and buy a few rounds. I'm thinking about driving up for this.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

I hope to attend, depending on how our basketball playoffs shake out. Should be an open weekend for us. Save some single malt for me!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I hope you attend as well, assuming political discussion is permitted a warm a welcome as Contra dancing or drum circles!

Hope to see you there!

If I come Im bringing Contra Strippers and A pile of Bongos filled with bourbon.

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

SOunds great.........can't wait to meet everyone! Gonna try and get the time off.......might be hard concidering I'm only working until the 10th

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

If you're in Paoli it shouldn't be too hard to get there. That name sounds familiar....I seem to remember a Revolutionary War battle, or more like a massacre, with a bunch of Americans getting bayonetted in their sleep because they didn't post a watchman.

Or maybe I have the wrong Paoli.

In any case, our weekend in Duncannon should be a bit more congenial, hope to see you there!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    If you're in Paoli it shouldn't be too hard to get there. That name sounds familiar....I seem to remember a Revolutionary War battle, or more like a massacre, with a bunch of Americans getting bayonetted in their sleep because they didn't post a watchman.
    Nope, you're right...I live not too far from Paoli. Lots of Revolutionary War skirmishes near there and a couple of full-blown battles, for example the Battle of the Brandywine:

http://www.chaddsfordhistory.org/his...d-landmark.htm

Lots of colonial history in my area.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Images

Brandywine battlefield is basically in my back yard. Absolutely lots of history in the area as well as the hometown of the famous painter Andrew Wyeth.
    :datz May the four winds blow me safely to Maine.

www.trailjournals.com/cheesewhiz

Images

Wow! Jack I'm impressed with your knowledge of even the lesser know facts in american history! People that live only 15 miles from here have never heard of it! If you're intressted in some more detailed information on the massacre itself there is a book titled "Battle of Paoli" written by Thomas J. McGuire {ublished by Stackpole BOoks) It brings you through the occupation of Philadelphia up through the Massacre. Touching on the local battles and history as well ( Brandywine, Valley Forge) A few silly facts: 1. Milage wise, I live right in between Washingtons headquarters in Valley Forge( my fav. quick hike spot!) and the massacre site. 2.THe Paoli Massacre actually happend in Malvern, Pa. Paoli itself is only 2sq miles 3. Washington helped plan the never fought Battle of Paoli in a tavern that stood on the same lot as my building.
    I'm so lucky to be immersed in such nationl history. Anyway, sorry for the babble.......I'm really amazed that people know about my little corner of the world.
    PS Wyclif, being so close to Brandywine state park.....do you happen to frisbee golf?

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...

Images

Default re: Brandywine Battlefield

Brandwine Battlefield in Chadds Ford, PA is one of my favourite places. I conducted a land survey there last year where I mapped the topography of the entire site.

I also am a big Revolutionary War history buff. I had distant relatives fighting on both sides...my family is from the UK some generations back.

As for frisbee golf, yes, I have played a lot of rounds and I enjoy the game, but not at Brandywine Battlefield. I have taken a lot of photographs of the battlefield, though.

Anway, not to stray too far from topic, but I hope to be at The Doyle for the Billville event. Hopefully I won't have to work that Saturday. If not, I plan to be there.

~John Muir

Images

I just did a Google search for "Billville", trying to discover the origin of the group and the name. It seems they do a lot of ALDHA volunteering; that sounds like a good thing. But other than finding interesting photos such as this one:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/gathe...-billville/aai

I can't find much text on the history of the group, who started it (Bill? or someone from Billville, IN?). If someone has that info it would be helpful.

Also found a gallery of photos from the 2005 Billville Warmer at The Doyle:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/album55

Seeing those photos of The Doyle are great; I almost forgot about the rickety, broken-in charm and the rough-hewn milieu of the bar.

Seeing those pint pilsner glasses made me thirsty!

~John Muir

Speaking of history, Wyclif, where'd you get your nickname? There was a John Wyclif who lived around 600 years ago, I think he was the first guy to translate the bible into English. Any connection?

Reason I'm asking is if you're a clergyman or of a spiritual bent, we could DEFINITELY use you at the warmer, although for some of us, it's probably too late!

And T-80, thanx for the book information. If you're interested in American history, you'll find a ton of it on the Trail: All sorts of Native American history (there was a major battle on or near Blood Mountain in Georgia for example);
    Colonial and Revolutionary history---we go by or near all sorts of places connected to early explorers of the south, the French and Indian War, and of course the Revolution----the rebels passed by the present Overmountain Shelter on their way to the battle of King's Mountain in 1780; up North, the Battle of Bennington in 1777 is just off the Trail. The loss of either battle would've meant we'd be speaking English today. Whoops. A loss at either place would mean we'd BE English today. Oh, and it just occurred to me that Waynesboro, Virginia is named for Mad Anthony Wayne, a fine general who happened to be the one who dropped the ball at Paoli. And of course, there's an extraordinary ammount of history connected to the War Bewtween the States. Harpers Ferry is a great place to spend some time; it's not far from Sharpsburg (or Antietam, for you Yanks). And the Trail cuts Rt. 30 just west of Gettsyburg, but I rather suspect you've been there a time or two.

Anyway, if you're interested in American History, you'll find plenty on the Trail.

Whether or not this includes Duncannon, I don't know. All sorts of stuff has happened there over the years, tho happily most of it wasn't recorded or written down!

Wyclif---

I seem to recall dating a girl from Mishawaka around 20 years ago, but other than that I can't think of any Billville connections to Indiana.

The history and origins of Billville are a mystery wrapped in a riddle tied in an enigma and was then lost somewhere along the Trail.

Actually, there is a story behind the birth of Billville (or Williamstown as our more genteel members put it) and if you're really unlucky, we'll bore the hell out of you in Duncannon and tell you all about it. All you need to know is that Billville is more a state of mind that an actual place. It's a bunch of folks, all Trail related, most of whom (but certainly not all) have thru-hiked, do Trail Magic, or both. We get together half a dozen times over the course of the year and do various things. Sometimes this involves volunteer work for the Trail. Sometimes it involves feeding hungry hikers. Sometimes it involves distilled products from Scotland and Ireland. It always involves good stories, good times, and good people.

And we're always looking for new ones. Hope to see you in Duncannon.

Images

Default single-malt

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    We get together half a dozen times over the course of the year and do various things. Sometimes it involves distilled products from Scotland and Ireland.
    Count me in; I'm a single-malt man myself; my last name is Scots Gaelic.

What's your poison?...I like Laphroaig a lot, when I can afford it. Also Oban.

~John Muir

Laphroaig's great, tho I'm partial to Glenmorangie. The Glenlivet 18 0r 21-Year Olds will do fine, too.......especially when someone else is buying!

On a hiking budget, tho, I'm a Jim Beam loyalist, as several of my more outspoken detractors here seem to enjoy pointing out.

Looking forward to sharing one with you in a few weeks.

Images

Glenfiddich all the way! Thanks for the info Jack! I'm gonna look some of that up before I leave......I really like the info on Mad Anthony. His homested is right in my neighborhood. I was wondering about the name "Waynesboro in my planning. That is the name of a township here, as well as the name of his homestead.
    Wyclif: THere is no frisbee at the Battleground, but the near by Brandywine state park in De has the most wide ope course I have ever played. I go there when I don't feel like playing Pinball witht he trees :-)
    Also a pretty decent course in Fairmount Park in Philly.(first on the east coast if I remember correctly) Maybe we'll toss a few.
    ANyway, putting my request of for the 3-5 today....hope I get to meet you all very soon!

Images

This thread had better get dumbed down a bit or I ain't coming.

I'm working on getting the Billville Ohio folks organized, but no firm "Yeah sure, I'll drive 7 hours to stay at the Doyle." answers , yet.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++