WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Getting hit by two hurricanes in the HMW is really bad luck and highly unusual. I got hit with one half way through the HMW once, but it was mostly a noon to noon event so we didn't loose much time. Didn't get much sleep with the heavy rain beating on the tin roof inches from our heads. It was deafening.

Anyway, with modern forecasting, you should have plenty of warning that such an event might happen and plan accordingly - like stay in Monson for a few days.

If you take advantage of the food drop service, getting through the HMW isn't nearly the challenge it was years ago. The whole point of getting a UL pack is to get UL gear to go with it. Even though a pack might be rated for XX amount of pounds, it's always a good idea to stay well below that figure. But if you do need to approach or exceed the recommended load limit due to extra food, at least it will only stay that way for a few days as you eat some of the load. But those first few days won't be fun and the extra load will slow you down, so you might not gain anything.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    I believe the pack comes with 2" extensions. But 4" extensions are available for an extra 12 bux

https://seekoutside.com/search.php?s...ery=extensions
    Price wise it doesn't come with the extensions, the 2" and 4" extensions cost extra, but the added weight wouldn't be noticeable-ounce or two at most.

I have a Seekoutside Unaweep and it's by far the most comfortable bag I've ever used. I will add that given the additional weight over the ULA, the way it distributes the weight, you won't notice it. Everything ggreaves has said about Seekoutside I agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by eggymane View Post
    Price wise it doesn't come with the extensions, the 2" and 4" extensions cost extra, but the added weight wouldn't be noticeable-ounce or two at most.

I have a Seekoutside Unaweep and it's by far the most comfortable bag I've ever used. I will add that given the additional weight over the ULA, the way it distributes the weight, you won't notice it. Everything ggreaves has said about Seekoutside I agree with.
    ... and, you won't be walking around with an extra few pounds of water impregnated pack material every time it rains. There's a video I saw where a guy put a bunch of dry stuff in a unaweep pack, sealed it up and then held it underwater in the pool like sitting on a beach ball. Everything came out bone dry. You won't need a pack cover or a trash compactor bag or a giant packa poncho. You may need to seam seal though. not sure.

... and, you won't be walking around with an extra few pounds of water impregnated pack material every time it rains. There's a video I saw where a guy put a bunch of dry stuff in a unaweep pack, sealed it up and then held it underwater in the pool like sitting on a beach ball. Everything came out bone dry. You won't need a pack cover or a trash compactor bag or a giant packa poncho. You may need to seam seal though. not sure.
    The Divide bag would require seam sealing for full waterproofness, the Unaweep doesn't. I've since retired all my other packs after using this one. This will be the last pack I ever purchase-bonus on these packs is that if you want a larger or smaller pack size you can order the pack for about half the price since the frame and suspension are not a required purchase after the initial buy. Every aspect of these packs is that they are completely user serviceable.

I'll cast another vote for the Seek Outside packs. The Unaweep weighs a few more ounces than ULA and Osprey packs I own but the adjustability options and the weight distribution....you have to see to believe. I can't imagine a better pack system. Seek Outside is a small, "cottage" operation and the customer service couldn't be better.

As stated above: The whole point of getting a UL pack is to get UL gear to go with it.

I took the divide I bought over Xmas out for the first time a few weeks ago and I have to agree it's a pretty awesome pack. One of the reasons it feels lighter than it is IMO is because a lot of the weight is in the belt and yoke. The frame and x-pac bag weigh next to nothing.

I sealed it with seam grip inside and out, then had Zimmerbuilt make me some x-pac pockets with molle attachment on the back (no extra cost). It's pretty much the perfect pack for me...unfortunately a lot of my other backpacks are now obsolete.

So, you're basing a pack choice on your intermittent very rare fears? That's not UL philosophy.

UL philosophy incorporates skills, logistical considerations,.... UL philosophy is not just about gear.

Going UL can entail reducing some aspect(s) of your kit or consumables wt and bulk while adding something, like food, back in. For example, 100 MW has very good spaced out and reliable water sources. Availing oneself of this water beta helps reduce unnecessary water wt hauls. Considering the majority of NOBO's hit the 100 MW in fallk it will be cooler too.

Whitehouse Landing has reopened. Definitely check ahead but you'll need 1.5 to 2 days less food from Munson through the 100 MW if you avail yourself of WHL's facilities and food supplementation. WHL used to, and may still, hold boxes. It's been a mistaken assumption that one needs to haul 100 miles worth of food through the so called 100 MW. And, as others have stated most AT NOBO's get through 100 MW in 5-6 days which you'd likely already be VERY VERY familiar on a NOBO... at a time when you're in primo LD hiking condition. AND, at this stage in a NOBO you'll likely have gained new gear, consumables, and wt saving strategies compared to now or at the Springer Mt start.

AND, long before you reach the 100 MW you should have ascertained its condition.

In short, little need to base buying a backpack for what may occur on a 2200 mile hike for short durations when you have ample time and availability to adapt on a shorter notice or avail oneself of existing opportunities .

If for some reason you still wish to go downpour pack choice reasoning the ULA Circuit I know can handle 35-40 lbs on a short term basis as each day your food load wt is being decreases.

Good luck with your hike.

Not the reality of the pack fabrics used in all the OP's pack choices. 100-210 D ULA Ripstop and Robic, 210 hybrid Cordura and Cordura These can also be sprayed with a WPing or WR DWR should extra water protection be absolutely required.

Sounds like you need a non-UL backpack.

Osprey and Gregory make good packs for handling heavy loads that will be infinitely more comfortable than any of the options mentioned. I see ULA, gossamer packs mentioned, none of these could compare to my gregory pack for 50+ loads, I guarantee it.

Oh duh, I just read you are thru-hiking, thought this was just for the maine wilderness. Just get one of the UL packs you mentioned and don't worry about it, it won't be the most comfortable under load, but carrying something more than you need for some small sections doen't make any sense. It will be uncomfortable but you will deal.

As an alternative, I know full moon fusion 50 is rated almost double for what other UL bags are, almost 60 lb if i remember right, they are sturdy little units. If it is really playing on your mind, I would check out the fusion.

Not one of the three you mentioned, but when I was researching packs recently, the Hyperlite Mountain Gear packs were rated for heavier loads than the others I was looking at - the "tall" size is rated for 21+" torso lengths.
    Have you looked into them?
    https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.co...backpacks.html

Cool

Unaweep Fortress 4800 backpack. 2" or 4" extensions are a no cost option.
    "Infinite adjust harness custom fits any torso length"
    Based on the load chart and photos, these packs will handle loads that mere mortals can't or won't lift.
    https://seekoutside.com/unaweep-fort...00-5800-combo/
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Based on the load chart and photos, these packs will handle loads that mere mortals can't or won't lift.
    Wayne
    Honestly I dont think the extensions are really even required for the majority of body types using thru-hiker pack weights.

I have a pretty long torso (23") and can still get a 45deg angle on my load lifters. The extensions, as far as I can tell, just help you get more lift on the shoulder straps (vice pulling the pack closer to your body). There's still enough adjustment on the yoke left to fit any torso length.

None of the other packs mentioned (while good for what they're meant to do) will get close to the amount of lift that the Seek Outside packs get. That's part of the reason you could carry over 100lbs in one.

Wayne
    So, you folks are saying a 78 L - 3 lb 5 oz - 3 lb 15 oz backpack will be necessary for one calling themselves an UL hiker getting through the 100 MW on an AT NOBO completion during fall on the last 280 miles off a 2200 mile thru-hike?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    So, you're basing a pack choice on your intermittent very rare fears? That's not UL philosophy.

UL philosophy incorporates skills, logistical considerations,.... UL philosophy is not just about gear.

Going UL can entail reducing some aspect(s) of your kit or consumables wt and bulk while adding something, like food, back in. For example, 100 MW has very good spaced out and reliable water sources. Availing oneself of this water beta helps reduce unnecessary water wt hauls. Considering the majority of NOBO's hit the 100 MW in fallk it will be cooler too.

Whitehouse Landing has reopened. Definitely check ahead but you'll need 1.5 to 2 days less food from Munson through the 100 MW if you avail yourself of WHL's facilities and food supplementation. WHL used to, and may still, hold boxes. It's been a mistaken assumption that one needs to haul 100 miles worth of food through the so called 100 MW. And, as others have stated most AT NOBO's get through 100 MW in 5-6 days which you'd likely already be VERY VERY familiar on a NOBO... at a time when you're in primo LD hiking condition. AND, at this stage in a NOBO you'll likely have gained new gear, consumables, and wt saving strategies compared to now or at the Springer Mt start.

AND, long before you reach the 100 MW you should have ascertained its condition.

In short, little need to base buying a backpack for what may occur on a 2200 mile hike for short durations when you have ample time and availability to adapt on a shorter notice or avail oneself of existing opportunities .

If for some reason you still wish to go downpour pack choice reasoning the ULA Circuit I know can handle 35-40 lbs on a short term basis as each day your food load wt is being decreases.

Good luck with your hike.
    I agree with Dogwood. While many are answering the question asked, I believe the logic going into the question is flawed. For an AT thru hike the HMW is less than 5% of the trail. I would not base a pack decision on the 5% especially when you are assuming super worst case scenarios. Let me give you another option in addition to the ones that Dogwood laid out. Hurricane hits are you are stuck in a shelter for a day. How many calories do you really need to eat? Certainly not a normal day's worth. Garlic often talks about minimizing food carries and he is right, you aren't going to die going with less or no food for a day or less. Don't carry the extra day's food, problem solved.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

So, you folks are saying a 78 L - 3 lb 5 oz - 3 lb 15 oz backpack will be necessary for one calling themselves an UL hiker getting through the 100 MW on an AT NOBO completion during fall on the last 280 miles off a 2200 mile thru-hike?
    No.
    I'm saying that this ONE backpack will cover all eventualities. And, if I'm not mistaken, the 3 lb. 5 oz. weight includes the 1,000 cu. in. Talon. The Talon is optional and used as needed. The 4,800 cu. in. Fortress is closer to 3 pounds, maybe a bit less. Call the folks at Seek Outside. No guessing. No more "The XYZ Pack is great at 21.375 pounds, but it is a Real Pig at 21.625 pounds" foolishness.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

No.
    I'm saying that this ONE backpack will cover all eventualities. And, if I'm not mistaken, the 3 lb. 5 oz. weight includes the 1,000 cu. in. Talon. The Talon is optional and used as needed. The 4,800 cu. in. Fortress is closer to 3 pounds, maybe a bit less. Call the folks at Seek Outside. No guessing. No more "The XYZ Pack is great at 21.375 pounds, but it is a Real Pig at 21.625 pounds" foolishness.
    Wayne
    Here's where I have a problem Venchka. One on a AT thru-hike is not going to need a 78 L backpack for the large portion of the 2000 miles. SO, why carry something so voluminous which translates into unnecessary pack wt for what has been said is a hike based on UL philosophy? The logic is flawed. A 78 L backpack for a typically time framed AT NOBO is overkill and well above average pack volume for AT thrus. Consider most of these thrus aren't even advanced ULers.

What "eventualities" will occur is the OP will evolve as he or she gets further into their AT thru-hike. Since AT NOBOs are mainly a summer time scenario do you really think it necessary to carry a 70L+ backpack during these warm months?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Not one of the three you mentioned, but when I was researching packs recently, the Hyperlite Mountain Gear packs were rated for heavier loads than the others I was looking at - the "tall" size is rated for 21+" torso lengths.
    Have you looked into them?
    https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.co...backpacks.html
    I have the southwest 55l its not bad under 30 and if you have ultra light gear it should be. I got black which is very very durable
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

I never claimed to adhere to any particular philosophy. I just want to hike my own hike.

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfraidOfBears View Post
    Oh duh, I just read you are thru-hiking, thought this was just for the maine wilderness. Just get one of the UL packs you mentioned and don't worry about it, it won't be the most comfortable under load, but carrying something more than you need for some small sections doen't make any sense. It will be uncomfortable but you will deal.
    I wasn't ever planning to carry something more than I need, despite all the encouragement here to opt for a heavier pack. I want a reasonably light pack for my through-hike. I'd narrowed the selection down to 3 light packs with similar characteristics, and figured that knowing which one would be most comfortable on the last, more heavily loaded stretch would help me make a final choice. I've excluded the Mariposa based on helpful information provided in this thread. I haven't heard yet from anyone who's loaded down the newest design of the Crown V.C. 60, so that pack's still in the running.

I do appreciate the efforts people make in their suggestions, even if most of them seem to be urging me toward a heavier pack.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++