WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Wait, did you say a stripper bar is across the street in Lexington? What away to pass the transfer layover.

Just this past Tuesday my flight out of Charlotte, NC was cancelled to Providence because of the snowstorm with no open seats on Wednesday or Thursday to anywhere in the Northeast (NY, Hartford, Providence or Boston) and no hotel rooms in or near Charlotte. So, I caught the Amtrak out of Charlotte at 1:45 am on Wednesday morning. I got to RI at 7:15 pm.

Wow, there were a lot of late night characters in the Charlotte train station. I guess they have a lenient policy because the Amtrak lady went around to everyone sleeping on the benches asking if they were on the train (most were not) but let them go back to sleep.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Wait, did you say a stripper bar is across the street in Lexington? What away to pass the transfer layover.
    Same side of the street. Walmart on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I've mostly managed to avoid Greyhound so far. But mostly good experiences with Amtrak.

Cathy I said as we boarded a Greyhound in Pittsburgh
    Michigan seems like a dream to me now...
    Ah, a man after me own heart!
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    Just this past Tuesday my flight out of Charlotte, NC was cancelled to Providence because of the snowstorm with no open seats on Wednesday or Thursday to anywhere in the Northeast (NY, Hartford, Providence or Boston) and no hotel rooms in or near Charlotte. So, I caught the Amtrak out of Charlotte at 1:45 am on Wednesday morning. I got to RI at 7:15 pm.

Wow, there were a lot of late night characters in the Charlotte train station. I guess they have a lenient policy because the Amtrak lady went around to everyone sleeping on the benches asking if they were on the train (most were not) but let them go back to sleep.
    I spent the night at the Providence station once. Tarried too long after a Grateful Dead show and missed the last train back to Boston.

To get a rock bottom discount on Greyhound, order online at least 21 days in advance, for Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, with departure before 10 am. Tickets are discounted as much as 60% off walking up to the counter the day you want to ride. Unlike discount competitors like MegaBus, etc. that mostly cruises the East coast corridor between Boston and D.C. and central NC to Atlanta, Greyhound services all of North America. I get no kickback for promoting the company. I've written and published the only comprehensive public transportation guide to the Appalachian Trail, and have been studying the industry for the past four years.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I had a late night layover in Ohio on the greyhound, Cleveland or Columbus??? asked the guard where to go for a drink - the place he gave me directions to was a strip joint - they said I could not bring in my pack but agreed to keep it behind the counter - waived the cover charge - cut it tight returning, but made the bus

I've never used Greyhound, but have had nothing but good experiences with concord trailways.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    Same side of the street. Walmart on the other side.
    Wow a Wally World too. That ruins it for the strip club.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cranky View Post
    To get a rock bottom discount on Greyhound, order online at least 21 days in advance, for Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, with departure before 10 am. Tickets are discounted as much as 60% off walking up to the counter the day you want to ride. Unlike discount competitors like MegaBus, etc. that mostly cruises the East coast corridor between Boston and D.C. and central NC to Atlanta, Greyhound services all of North America. I get no kickback for promoting the company. I've written and published the only comprehensive public transportation guide to the Appalachian Trail, and have been studying the industry for the past four years.

Where can I get your guide? I would be interested.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Oh man. Talk about timely. I already bought my ticket to ATL from DAL on the greyhound. My friend then informed me it's not in a "great" part of town. Most of Dallas is "not in a great part of town." LOL. I am going there tomorrow to check out the area. At least my bus leaves in the broad daylight! LOL. But as memory serves, the Boston bus station wasn't all that great either and it never really bothered me.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Where can I get your guide? I would be interested.
    Pennypincher -- Thanks for the interest. The title of the guide is Philbrick's Appalachian Trail Transit Guide, it is an Ebook available at Swashwords and Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Oh man. Talk about timely. I already bought my ticket to ATL from DAL on the greyhound. My friend then informed me it's not in a "great" part of town. Most of Dallas is "not in a great part of town." LOL. I am going there tomorrow to check out the area. At least my bus leaves in the broad daylight! LOL. But as memory serves, the Boston bus station wasn't all that great either and it never really bothered me.
    The DFW GH station is not in a bad area. It's a modern station but might close during the wee hrs.

I have heard some bad things about the bus. how come no one ever mentions taking the train?

Quote Originally Posted by methodman View Post
    I have heard some bad things about the bus. how come no one ever mentions taking the train?
    More people have access to the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by methodman View Post
    I've got more more bad train stories then bad bus stories:0) truth is I lived through them all . so they ain't that bad

thom

I had a good experience on the hound from Harrisburg PA back to DC. I will say that hanging out in bus terminals isn't fun and to be avoided but the bus itself was clean and on time. I'm planning a combination of train and bus to get to Delaware Water gap later this spring but I think the bus isn't the hound but some local commuter line.

Images

I have had lots of great train rides over the years. Some of the stations have been, er, interesting -- looking at you, Trenton! -- but the train is great. Comfortable, good leg room, you can get up and walk around, and the cafe car has beer. Yeah, it's $7.50 a bottle, but it's beer. Food ain't too bad, too, or bring your own.

Last Amtrak ride I reserved the Business Class car -- well worth the extra $50 per person for a 12 hour train ride. More leg room, car was half full (rest of the train was packed), attendant with free (soft) drinks.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Almost always good experiences with Amtrak.

Because the price is 4 times as much....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++