WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

More is considered. I choose low glycemic index sweeteners myself, although I am not a diabetic I learn a lot about food from others. I prefer Mahadavi light agave syrup, a low glycemic index sweetener if any.

If I want something sweet, I think of fruit like dried mango, raisins, or dates and then only very little. I use very little jerky as well, because commercial jerky is far too salty.

edit: The shelf-stable NoneSuch condensed mincemeat provides sweet taste.

I like the bacon jerky I mentioned because so little is required for full flavor, same with Jack Links Sriracha beef jerky I also like in small amounts at a time. I especially like the flavor kick it gives other food. I recently found Sriracha packets at DutchWare Gear, and McCormicks brand has Sriracha that is easily brought backpacking.

I did not intend the lists to be Top 10 what to carry in your backpack. My intention was only to draw attention to looking at food carried as Kcal/oz, protein/oz, and nutrition/oz in terms of weight and volume carried in the backpack. Aaron Owens is a registered dietition in profession and prepared for the PCT iand is hiking the PCT right now doing that, so I invited attention to her. How that goes for her is interesting to me. At one point, she posted her adapted recipe list, and I am eager to see the full recipes of what worked well for her thru hike.

I posted the thread to draw attention to Aaron Owens effort, and to the Facebook group Backcountry Meal Planning for Thru Hikers.

There is also Facebook Dehydrating Divas & Dudes, that answers a lot of questions to make your own backpacking convenient food supplies.

Not everyone has town resupply near their hikes, and more than a few hikers like to stay out longer than a 3-day weekend or 4-5 days.
    Last edited by Connie; 04-12-2017 at 07:42.

++ New Posts ++