WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    US units suck. Here it is in proper units:

The mass of a Honda Fit is about 1200 kg. Let's lift that a distance of 30 m. The acceleration of gravity is 9.80665 m/s^2. F=ma=11,778 N (i.e. kg-m/s^2). Work=Fd=353039 J (i.e. kg-m^2/s^2) = 353 kJ = 84.4 kcal.

So to lift 10 cars you need 844 kcal. If you engine is only 50% efficient, you need to feed it twice that or 1688 kcal (or 1688 food Calories).

Remind me. Why are we lifting cars?
    so we can rebuild china

The point being made saying, "A can of soda and 4 oz skinned chicken breast have about the same number of calories but one is pure sugar and the other is loaded with protein. Invest in your calories wisely", is to counter the idea that food is simply calories and that calories within the matrix of food are all the same acting upon our bodies, minds, and emotions equally based on the same caloric content...I thought that it was obvious I was not hyping protein. Some in the hiking community have a belief, a feeling, that junk food is OK and is no longer going to act as junk food empty calorie food products simply because the higher caloric needs of hikers.

If we observe those engaged in activities where performance, endurance, health, and well being are the goal that consume similar calories as LD hikers like triathletes or some Olympic and Professional athletic competitors we will note optimal nutrition plays a key role in obtaining the desired outcomes. What I suppose it comes down to is do we desire to excel at what we engage, aim to intentionally opt to consume nutrient dense real foods to support our well being to the best of our ability, or do we desire to just make do, get by, believing empty calorie food products are "just fine?"...which often are off trail junk food dietary habits that are now applied to trail activities? NOTE: you do not need to be an aspiring athlete or FKTer to desire being healthy and have optimal well being as your goal.

Of course eat what you want but expecting to indiscriminately consume anything will always result in the same impacts in terms of energy output, endurance, cognitive ability, joint and musculoskeletal condition, decreased inflammation, obesity and weight control, eating disorders, digestive system health, immunology(increasing body of evidence that relates nutrition to health of the immune system spurring a new sub branch of medicine - Nutritional Immunology), cardiovascular disease, liver disease, diabetes, stroke, various cancers, fatigue, digest ...is a misconception. It's a misconception that so many now having health problems are finally recognizing...sometimes only after it's too late.

Written by a nephew who attended a beloved Uncle's funeral recently because he ate himself into an early grave. Perhaps worse, he had limited vitality during most of his life because of indiscriminate "I'm just enjoying myself" consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    This information is fine for a short hike or a section hike but for a thru-hike its not worth the effort. My thru-hike philosophy is to eat well in town stops. Take a few fresh items for the first day after resupplying in town and take a lot of high calorie junk food. Little Debbie stuff is just loaded with calories. You just can't eat right to replenish the calories you burn hiking.
    Same here. Apples and roma tomatoes for the first 2 days out, then high calorie, sometimes junk, food for fuel. Salad and yogurt in town.

Had to get off the trail due to a shoulder injury. Headed for the AT to flip-flop.

Here is her update, with a report.

https://thetrek.co/pacific-crest-tra...ning-makeover/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++