WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default camp shoes: Coo & Mo or Ultra II VIVOBAREFOOT

I am looking for a light weight camp shoe that takes up less space than my crocs. I've seen recommendations for the Utra II Vivobarefoot, and they look great, but I am on a budget and don't need top of the line quality for hanging out cooking and poking a campfire with sticks.

I came across Coo & Mo Coo & Mo Women's pull on water shoes, which look comparable at a lower price. However, I haven't been able to find an exact weight. On amazon, one person graciously weighed hers for me but she used a luggage scale and I suspect it doesn't have the same precision backpackers are accustomed to.

Anyone have any experience with either of these? Recommendations?

OK, just to be devil's advocate here, since it is the UL forum... Why not just take off your socks and loosen up your trail runners?

$4 flip-flops from the drug store.

my only beefs with the cheap flip flops, are durability and not secure for creek fording. The durability....maybe not such a big deal. Not much worse that having a strap brake, but then again it would be repairable with a bit of cord, good enough to get by with for a while..... but having something with a heel strap just strikes me as a bit more multipurpose.....

Dawgz or hounds found on Amazon. Brother got a pair. Nice camp shoes

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I dont have any experience with either but want to thank you for bringing the Coo & Mo shoes to my attention! They look good for river crossing and camp shoes. Not to mention a killer savings compared to the Ultra IIs. I'll be following this thread to hear more.

Dual purpose: water crossings and my feet sweat no matter what kind of socks I wear and for foot health I let my shoes dry over night.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    OK, just to be devil's advocate here, since it is the UL forum... Why not just take off your socks and loosen up your trail runners?
    Dual purpose: water crossings and my feet sweat no matter what kind of socks I wear and for foot health I let my shoes dry over night.

Journal Entries

I'm going to be checking out these xero shoes on my '17 flip flop of the AT

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    CSS

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glassman View Post

A bit pricey for sandals but, there's a 5000 mile guarantee on them and they look supper flexible!

CSS

Journal Entries

https://xeroshoes.com/?aid=gttle

CSS

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hyperjo View Post
    My feet sweat like crazy and the only solution I've found is marino wool socks and a moisture wicking trail runners. Like I said I'm also going to try these https://xeroshoes.com/?aid=gttle
    Not sure which one yet but......

CSS

I've commented on this topic a few times before and will again as I hope it's helpful. Cheapo flip-flop will break. The lightest pair of quality flip-flops I've found (and I really researched this) are Teva Mush II at 7.4 oz pair in size 12. Not only will they never break, but they are super comfortable after a hard day's hike.

Stream crossings: the only fords on the A.T. are in northern Maine
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skin-Shoes-W...T8BXtPWW0X9sTQ

i bought a pair of these at 6$, they seem to be of good construction with solid rubber soles & mesh upper. The largest size weighed 7 oz, the only problem is the asians dont make size 13, wanted to see if i fit into the size 12's, and it was a no-go. I imagine the smaller sizes would be even lighter.

These. You can also find them at Walgreens right now...

https://www.usadawgs.com/products/me...nt=17579876676

Quote Originally Posted by Marcovee View Post
    Stream crossings: the only fords on the A.T. are in northern Maine
    Irrelevant. Just this week I crossed Ivy Creek on the AT in Virginia and enjoyed having water shoes as we camped nearby. Fording a river is not the only water crossing you may encounter on the AT. You might not feel the need for water shoes, but that has nothing to do with me.

My feet sweat like crazy and the only solution I've found is marino wool socks and a moisture wicking trail runners. Like I said I'm also going to try these https://xeroshoes.com/?aid=gttle
    Not sure which one yet but......

Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm pretty limited in my selection of trail runners and I use special inserts due to foot issues. Letting my feet dry out with a pair of camp shoes is cheaper, easier, and better for my feet than starting the search over and dealing with trial and error.

Needing camp shoes isn't a problem. Trying to find the right pair for me is the question I'm interested in.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.

Update: I used the Coo & Moo shoes for camp shoes for a week on the AT in Virginia. They are lightweight and held up fine. Dried quickly and were comfortable worn in walks down ravines to water sources.

My one complaint is that they are not slip on. It would be nice to not need my hands to put them on. OTH, this makes them more secure wading in the creek and foraging for fallen branches for firewood.

I reduced the weight a few grams by removing the decorative charms. Will probably also cut out some of the webbing on top of the foot and along the sides for more wiggle room as well as shaving unnecessary grams. It's not a lot, but if I don't need it why carry it.

I will probably use them until they wear out and look into something different in a few years.

BTW, final weight on Women's size 5.5 was 262 grams.

++ New Posts ++