WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lukabrazi View Post
    Also I had never heard of the Chameleon. That looks awesome!
    yup, it's the new thing.

I ended up going with the Edge tarp and the Wookie underquilt. Next up is an order with dutch for some titanium.

Edge is a great lightweight tarp. Get 4 hair ties to "snake skin" it for easy packing and deployment. Wookie will offer great insulation with "no fiddle factor" adjustments. Great choices and hope they work out for you. Even though I don't have my Edge anymore... My YouTube channel has older videos that show it and the hair ties if interested.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

That wookie looks like a sweet underquilt

The reason I ended up going with the Wookie was because of the simplicity. I didn't want to be trying to place smaller pads in the right spots and for me I just roll around too much at night to think everything was going to stay put without lots of messing. Eventually I might get a Cuben tarp but for now this is what the budget allowed. Does anyone use any of Dutche's hardware?

The reason I ended up going with the Wookie was because of the simplicity. I didn't want to be trying to place smaller pads in the right spots and for me I just roll around too much at night to think everything was going to stay put without lots of messing. Eventually I might get a Cuben tarp but for now this is what the budget allowed. Does anyone use any of Dutche's hardware?
    I use his CRL for my Winter Palace tarp which comes with the Tato tarp connectors and a wasp. Pretty simple set-up. I also make use of the whoopie hooks for my hammock suspension...WARNING: Dutch bling can be addictive, there's a support group on Hammock Forums

dutchware is great. I use their tree huggers with dutch clips and whoopie slings as a suspension and it is a simple/quick setup. Also his fleaz on my ridgeline and again simple/quick setup. Once you get that Edge outfitted I'd really like to hear what you used and what your final weight is since I'm looking to replace my tarp this spring. Thanks.

My hammock came with the whoopie slings attached. I can see how it would be simple to use the dutch biners to connect the whoopie to the tree strap but how would I go about using the lighter whoopie hooks since the whoopie would need to be threaded through the hole in the hook? Hope that makes sense...

My hammock came with the whoopie slings attached. I can see how it would be simple to use the dutch biners to connect the whoopie to the tree strap but how would I go about using the lighter whoopie hooks since the whoopie would need to be threaded through the hole in the hook? Hope that makes sense...
    Mine came with the hooks already on the whoopie sling so I can't be of help in how to add them

Maybe I should qualify my answer...my Dutch hammock has continuous loops on the gathered ends which in turn attach to the whoopie hooks on the whoopie slings. From there I attach my whoopie slings to the Dutch tree straps. There are three separate components to my hammock suspension.

One of the learning curve issues most people have is getting their underquilt right. The wookie is a solid choice in this regard. I haven't heard a bad thing about it yet. First big underquilt innovation I've seen in a long time.

Picture is from the dutchware site. What does the free end of your whoopie sling look like? You may be able to attach it to the tree hugger in the same way.

Capture.PNG

Thank you! In my head I had this reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger2012 View Post
    Picture is from the dutchware site. What does the free end of your whoopie sling look like? You may be able to attach it to the tree hugger in the same way.

Capture.PNG

I would get Dutch Quilt Hangers for your Wooki.

I would decide if you want a Continuous Ridge Line or Two Ridgelines to attach to the Edge D-Ring.

I went with the Two Ridgelines for my previous Edge and my current HG Palace. One Line has 12ft of Line with a Wasp. The other line is 12ft on a Stingerz.

As far as whoopies and tree huggers - that is dependent on your hammock itself. The Dutch Bling I suggest for all hammocks is Dutch Clips for straps. My current choice for the latest straps are the Dutch Beetles.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

I would decide if you want a Continuous Ridge Line or Two Ridgelines to attach to the Edge D-Ring.

I went with the Two Ridgelines for my previous Edge and my current HG Palace. One Line has 12ft of Line with a Wasp. The other line is 12ft on a Stingerz.

As far as whoopies and tree huggers - that is dependent on your hammock itself. The Dutch Bling I suggest for all hammocks is Dutch Clips for straps. My current choice for the latest straps are the Dutch Beetles.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post

If you learn a few tarp knots (taut-line hitch for the stake outs, truckers hitch for around the tree), you won't need any hardware at all. Dutch bling is pretty and titanium's light but using no hardware is even lighter and just as fast for putting up the tarp. I wouldn't bother with quilt hooks either. The wookie eliminates the need for any devices to help keep the quilt in place. Fire and forget, especially on an XLC which is what it was designed for.

A hammock is a no brainer for me when it comes to simplicity and weight (even though some tents come close). I highly value getting off the ground when it comes to critters, ticks, etc

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    You will be able to sell your XLC for almost what you paid for it on hammockforums and get yourself something lighter and more comfortable (XLC has a bad calf ridge problem)

Dutchware Half Wit Hammock 1.0 Hexon with suspension..... 14 oz
    HammockGear Cuben tarp with doors.... 7 oz
    Klymit Insulated Static V-Lite pad (you should have a pad instead of underquilt if you want to ever sleep in a shelter or go to ground)..... 19 oz

Total 40 oz.

This system will easily get you to 20F assuming your bag or quilt is rated that low. The klymit is the perfect hammock pad and works better than other, better ground pads in a hammock (i.e. Neoairs) due to it's baffle shape and width.
    Question on the sleeping pad. Why the Klymit Insulated Static V-Lite pad VS say a Neo Air? I ask this because I'm going to try out hammocking this year and I was hoping to reuse my existing sleeping pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    Question on the sleeping pad. Why the Klymit Insulated Static V-Lite pad VS say a Neo Air? I ask this because I'm going to try out hammocking this year and I was hoping to reuse my existing sleeping pad.
    You'll be fine with your Neo. The Klymit has a distinct baffle shape that makes it likely better suited that's all. I think Klymit even makes one with side baffles specifically for hammocks. I wouldn't go buy another pad until you determine if hammock sleeping is right for you.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I use the same insulation top & bottom (Thermarest Prolite & Warbonnet top quilt) whether I'm hammocking or tenting, so the only consideration for me is the weight of the hammock & tarp vs. the tent:

Warbonnet Blackbird 25 oz.
    Warbonnet Edge tarp 10 oz. TarpTent Rainbow 35 oz.

Voila! No difference. I just consider whether the hike I'm going on will be better suited to tenting or hammocking. When I thru, if I go NOBO, I plan to tent until past the Smokies (easier to stay warm), and then switch to the hammock. Comfortable sleeping is so important that I'm not going to quibble about ounces, same goes for the pack. I'll gladly take an extra half-pound of sleeping system and an extra half-pound of pack (what's that - a half a day of food?) to get a comfortable hike & sleep.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++