WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I am fairly lucky. I went to do the collegiate loop last summer with my youngest son. He soon decide that he would rather do other cool things in Colorado rather than hike the western half. (I question rather he is really my son.) So this year I will do the west as part of the CT so everything worked out.

The TCT is very nice. Can't compare it to the west trail. How does this connect up into Idaho? We crossed over the crest and went on some trails and dirt roads into Yellowstone last fall. I didn't really the TCT, as in the named trail, continued into Idaho.
    Purists saw that the TCT starts south of the park just over the line in Idaho.
    http://www.awayfromthegrind.com/hiki...e-teton-crest/
    I know what you mean about quotas, permits and food containers for dummies. I try not to say too much.
    Have a great summer.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    If I did the kind of trips I would like to do, Mrs. Wayne would change the locks or sell the house.
    Wayne

I hear ya....know the feeling!

I lied. One version of the TCT starts in Wyoming very close to Idaho.
    "He dropped me at Highway 22. I pointed my thumb west. Second car pulled over. A school teacher and his little boy, commuting from Driggs. His passion was backcountry skiing. Climb up and zoom down. No the trail starts at Coal Creek just over Teton Pass as we whizzed by the North Fork trailhead.

Well, that’s decided. I’m hiking in at Coal Creek, the longest of the three “no cheaters here” routes. It was dusk as I headed up the trail, looking for a flat place to pitch my tent beyond earshot of the road."
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Garlic
    Images

Back to the OP, having hiked both ways, yes for me, too.

How difficult would the logistics be to only hike the west side? Would like to see the area but vacation time is finite.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    How difficult would the logistics be to only hike the west side? Would like to see the area but vacation time is finite.
    One way rental from Denver to Leadville...hitch to TL hike 80 miles to MC..hitch or Chaffee shuttle back to Leadville for another 1 way rental

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I am fairly lucky. I went to do the collegiate loop last summer with my youngest son. He soon decide that he would rather do other cool things in Colorado rather than hike the western half. (I question rather he is really my son.) So this year I will do the west as part of the CT so everything worked out.

The TCT is very nice. Can't compare it to the west trail. How does this connect up into Idaho? We crossed over the crest and went on some trails and dirt roads into Yellowstone last fall. I didn't really the TCT, as in the named trail, continued into Idaho.
    Malto & 10k...
    When you get your resupply stops dialed in I'd be interested to hear your choices....I'm not nearly as fast as you but would be on a 21-21 day hike so in out resupply timing is important to me....thx

Journal Entries

Don't want to de-rail the thread, but any of you experienced CO hikers have a clue when the loop might be passable this season - the snotel maps seem to be kind of spotty, but maybe I'm reading them wrong. I know it's probably too early to tell, but can't help thinking about planning.

I did the CT in '13 starting on June 23rd and only hit a lot of snow going up to Georgia Pass, and it was still pretty easy.

I'm hooping to do the Collegiate Loop (looking forward to seeing the W side, even though I thoroughly enjoyed the E) this summer with eldest son, but would like to start in early July if possible. We were thinking of doing the Tahoe Rim Trail, but the Echo Peak snotel showed 400% of median last time I looked - I doubt it will be passable in July?

Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paddlefoot View Post
    Don't want to de-rail the thread, but any of you experienced CO hikers have a clue when the loop might be passable this season - the snotel maps seem to be kind of spotty, but maybe I'm reading them wrong. I know it's probably too early to tell, but can't help thinking about planning.

I did the CT in '13 starting on June 23rd and only hit a lot of snow going up to Georgia Pass, and it was still pretty easy.

I'm hooping to do the Collegiate Loop (looking forward to seeing the W side, even though I thoroughly enjoyed the E) this summer with eldest son, but would like to start in early July if possible. We were thinking of doing the Tahoe Rim Trail, but the Echo Peak snotel showed 400% of median last time I looked - I doubt it will be passable in July?

Thanks!
    If you want snow free everywhere in the CT loop region, think mid-August. If you're OK with a bit of snow travel, not the post-holing type stuff, the old, hard, slick stuff on the north sides of the high passes, think mid-July (bring microspikes and maybe a UL ice axe). Any earlier and my guess is some more serious snow, meaning some post-holing here and there. Doing the east side first will help, delaying the higher west by 4-5 days or whatever.

We're getting some good systems coming through these last few days, with much more in the forecast next few days, but this is very typical March/April weather (our two snowiest months). check back end of April. We'll be doing some peak snow-climbing (spring couloir season!) up there starting in May and I'll have eyes-on and can report in.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    If you want snow free everywhere in the CT loop region, think mid-August. If you're OK with a bit of snow travel, not the post-holing type stuff, the old, hard, slick stuff on the north sides of the high passes, think mid-July (bring microspikes and maybe a UL ice axe). Any earlier and my guess is some more serious snow, meaning some post-holing here and there. Doing the east side first will help, delaying the higher west by 4-5 days or whatever.

We're getting some good systems coming through these last few days, with much more in the forecast next few days, but this is very typical March/April weather (our two snowiest months). check back end of April. We'll be doing some peak snow-climbing (spring couloir season!) up there starting in May and I'll have eyes-on and can report in.
    Bummer! But thanks so much for the advice. If it were just me, I wouldn't be worried about some moderate exposure - but I'll have my 16 year old son with me, so it's probably a "no-go".

I'm going to have to look back at the records, but maybe 2013 was a low-snow year. I guess I'd also be concerned about lightning since it is later in the summer. Had a couple of uncomfortable moments on my thru-hike, and the western half of the loop is more exposed, right?

I'm hooping to do the Collegiate Loop (looking forward to seeing the W side, even though I thoroughly enjoyed the E) this summer with eldest son, but would like to start in early July if possible.
    if you start early july, and do the east side first, you won't have any trouble with snow when you hit the west side a 5-7 days later.

Images

Bummer! But thanks so much for the advice. If it were just me, I wouldn't be worried about some moderate exposure - but I'll have my 16 year old son with me, so it's probably a "no-go".

I'm going to have to look back at the records, but maybe 2013 was a low-snow year. I guess I'd also be concerned about lightning since it is later in the summer. Had a couple of uncomfortable moments on my thru-hike, and the western half of the loop is more exposed, right?
    Not sure what you mean in your first sentence about "moderate exposure" on the snow travel. I doubt if you'll be exposed to any significant falls where there is leftover hard snow, just wear microspikes. No guarantees though... and yes, the west side has long sections above treeline meaning always an afternoon thunderstorm danger, you just have to hike early and time it well to no be above treeline in the afternoons if the weather is not perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post
    if you start early july, and do the east side first, you won't have any trouble with snow when you hit the west side a 5-7 days later.
    Not sure what you mean by "trouble", but I believe this year will have significant leftover snow on the north facing areas up high in to August, and especially in mid July. Unless we have a dry spring starting now, always a distinct possibility, so stay tuned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++