WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

ah, thanks.... I missed that.

No worries. You're welcome.
    Apparently the cap wasn't necessary the next day.
    I still have to wonder about these bare bones solutions for load carrying.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    If it's virtually empty and if you add a ball cap "hack", it's a great pack for a few hundred bucks?
    What's it like with a real load for a week or two, low temperatures in the 20s and no baseball cap?
    Wayne

I have the arc haul zip with a base weight at 11lbs but have loaded it up and hiked with fishing gear including my rod/reel, vest/gear, net, and river shoes so it was pretty heavy but I didn't weigh it - I would guess 30lbs. It carried everything quite well but I did not do big miles, for that I wouldn't be bringing the fishing equipment. I do have the optional lumbar support so the baseball cap can stay on my head. It's a great pack.

I would like to hear from people who have had the Arc Haul and the Arc Blast for a long period of time. My question is how well do they hold up to normal abuse.

I have been looking to lighten up my load, and looking for a new pack. I want something that will last. Been looking at the GG or ULA. love to hear from these people too.

Floyd

"I have the OPTIONAL lumbar pad."
    Reason enough for me to avoid the product.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    I would like to hear from people who have had the Arc Haul and the Arc Blast for a long period of time. My question is how well do they hold up to normal abuse.

I have been looking to lighten up my load, and looking for a new pack. I want something that will last. Been looking at the GG or ULA. love to hear from these people too.

Floyd
    I have had an Arc Haul for 3 years now. My main hiking partner has had the zip version for about a year. First, it is an outstanding pack .. light and comfortable. I've had a bear can in it and I'd say it is really comfortable up to about 25 pounds and okay up to about 35.

Both of us have had problems with the stays. One of mine poked right through the spot where it is held into the pack, at the bottom. My partner had a stay snap as he was bending it to get the "arc" set. In both cases, Zpacks was wonderful in terms of repairing them. The points where the stays are held to the pack are obvious high stress areas prone to failure. I believe they have changed to a different type of stay and have beefed up the stress point. I'd still have some concern for it though.

I have also had a ULA. IMHO, it is a bomber pack that is really hard to destroy. It isn't as comfortable or light as the Zpacks for me, so there is your tradeoff.

I have 2 older style Arc Blasts (2013-14 vintage) and an Arc Haul.

The Dyneema X grid of the Haul is definitely more durable and the one to get if you're the least bit rough on gear.

Cuben does not like encounters with rock.

From personal (and of course highly anecdotal) observations of thru hikers in my neck of the woods I would say that for those using Zpacks products, Arc Haul outnumbers Arc Blast by a wide margin.

The possible necessity of the optional lumbar pad (I really needed it!) with the new frame design should not IMHO be a deal breaker.

I have 2 Arc Blasts and an Arc Haul. One Blast has several hundred miles on it with only dirt and a mouse made hole in the mesh. The Haul has probably 150 miles on it with absolutely no visible wear. No stay issues with any so far.

I would recommend the Haul for most uses as it is only slightly heavier but much more durable.

"I have the OPTIONAL lumbar pad."
    Reason enough for me to avoid the product.
    Wayne

Don't knock it until you try it. I agree that the belt itself should be thicker through that area but according to Joe their machines can't handle anything thicker, hence the lumbar pad (I tried asking them to make me a custom one).

With the exception of the thinner belt at the lumbar area I have foubd this pack super comfortable and have put over 150 miles on the Arc Haul and it has zero wear marks

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Don't knock it until you try it. I agree that the belt itself should be thicker through that area but according to Joe their machines can't handle anything thicker, hence the lumbar pad (I tried asking them to make me a custom one).

With the exception of the thinner belt at the lumbar area I have foubd this pack super comfortable and have put over 150 miles on the Arc Haul and it has zero wear marks
    You can show me. Perhaps you'll make a believer out of me.
    Wayne

Wayne

Show you what?

People have offered their honest first-hand observations and experiences with the packs in question.

Yes, it's an expensive pack (although FAR from the most expensive... see McHale!) and I have been saying for some time that IMVHO the lumbar pad should be standard and not optional because I've read enough reports from people who had the same issue I did. I have also read a number of reports (I have no statistics, sorry) of people have reported no problems without the optional lumbar pad.

Hey, it's your money and your choice, but to pass up a product that is otherwise perfect for your needs in every other way — and might need a $20 tweak to reach perfection — is IMO just a little bit silly.

Show me as in just over a month from now I will be able to see the pack in person.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Show you what?

People have offered their honest first-hand observations and experiences with the packs in question.

Yes, it's an expensive pack (although FAR from the most expensive... see McHale!) and I have been saying for some time that IMVHO the lumbar pad should be standard and not optional because I've read enough reports from people who had the same issue I did. I have also read a number of reports (I have no statistics, sorry) of people have reported no problems without the optional lumbar pad.

Hey, it's your money and your choice, but to pass up a product that is otherwise perfect for your needs in every other way — and might need a $20 tweak to reach perfection — is IMO just a little bit silly.
    Who is being silly, you don't need to actually SEE or USE something to be able to totally dismiss it? I guess all of us who love it must be wrong.

lol, well I didn't realize you meant it literally.

But it's still difficult to fully appreciate until you have worn it for a couple of hours with a load and are able to play with the adjustments.

Wayne

Maybe, although mine is even more modified than just an optional lumbar pad since I am so petite and kinda bony I need even more padding than most (I need extra padding on the ULA Circuit and the SMD Fusion too). I love everything else about the pack so a $10 modification for me was worth it...I tried the other packs out there and they didn't work as well for me. You'll definitely be able to check it out on our trip though.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Who is being silly, you don't need to actually SEE or USE something to be able to totally dismiss it? I guess all of us who love it must be wrong.
    I guess my post wasn't clear to you. And from the punctuation in your first sentence I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make.

SIMPLY: I have an Arc Haul which I totally like, in addition to the 2 old-style Arc Blasts I mentioned above, and also a Zero, and really like all of them as well.

CLEARLY: IMVHO I think that totally dismissing the Arc Haul ONLY because of the possible need for the optional lumbar pad is not warranted.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 07-21-2017 at 09:49.

Folks,

I appreciate your first hand accounts of the Z packs arc blast and arc haul.

As I mentioned I'm looking for a new pack, my current one is a osprey atmos 65 2013, no AG suspension. Love it, but the circumstances of my life has changed. I have but a great deal of miles on this pack with 30+ pounds in all seasons.

As mentioned before, I was looking at the ULA circut, GG Mariposa, and the Granite Gear AG.

Being devils advocate, besides the weight of the pack, what makes the packs so special. I do love that you can customize it to suit your needs. Is it the the way that is carries, and transfers the weight to the hips? Is there something else.

I have heard with these packs 20+ pounds is the sweet spot, well if I load this in my osprey, it would feel pretty good as well I hope you get what I'm saying.

Any information, subjective, is appreciated.

I know I have to lighten up, and I have to start with the big three.

I want something that will last, within reason, as long as it is taken care of

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I guess my post wasn't clear to you. And from the punctuation in your first sentence I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make.

SIMPLY: I have an Arc Haul which I totally like, in addition to the 2 old-style Arc Blasts I mentioned above, and also a Zero, and really like all of them as well.

CLEARLY: IMVHO I think that totally dismissing the Arc Haul ONLY because of the possible need for the optional lumbar pad is not warranted.
    I agree 100% with your opinion, I was pointing out that those who are quick to dismiss it have never used, much less even seen the pack in person.

Clarification on my part.
    The optional lumbar pad, in my personal opinion, is like buying a new car and the salesman asks, "Would you like the optional turn signals?"
    Fair enough?
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    Folks,

I appreciate your first hand accounts of the Z packs arc blast and arc haul.

As I mentioned I'm looking for a new pack, my current one is a osprey atmos 65 2013, no AG suspension. Love it, but the circumstances of my life has changed. I have but a great deal of miles on this pack with 30+ pounds in all seasons.

As mentioned before, I was looking at the ULA circut, GG Mariposa, and the Granite Gear AG.

Being devils advocate, besides the weight of the pack, what makes the packs so special. I do love that you can customize it to suit your needs. Is it the the way that is carries, and transfers the weight to the hips? Is there something else.

I have heard with these packs 20+ pounds is the sweet spot, well if I load this in my osprey, it would feel pretty good as well I hope you get what I'm saying.

Any information, subjective, is appreciated.

I know I have to lighten up, and I have to start with the big three.

I want something that will last, within reason, as long as it is taken care of
    Mister Floyd,
    As I recall from our previous discussions about your feet, you might be close to Maryville, TN. I had the pleasure of shopping for a ULA pack at the dealer there Memorial Day weekend 2016. The Little River Trading Co. https://www.littlerivertradingco.com
    I bought a Catalyst and used it Colorado. Fine pack. Solid. Versatile. It handled more load than a Fossil like me has any business carrying up too 12,100'. Then I let my granddaughter talk me out of it.
    My only quibble was the frame size. I measured as a medium frame, just like my other 2 packs. However, after the Colorado trip, I noticed that the frame was about 2" shorter than my Dana Design pack. I should have tried the size large. It may have been better for me.
    For me the Catalyst worked perfectly with 7 days food and 3 season gear at altitude. About 35 pounds, more or less.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++