WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Website lists one week wait time...much less time than I had to wait.

Lots of other packs that work well besides zpacks.

I recently got my order from Zpaks very promptly indeed

Look at HMG packs, the two larger size Windrider and Southwest may suit you: those have stays to keep transfer the load to your hips and keep from having your back sweat-drenched.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Are zpacks stuff in stock ? I had to wait a few weeks for mine. I think a lot of weeks

thom
    Yup, tents and packs going out next day or two days later recently as with accessories.

I got an Arc Haul zip a few months ago and have been very happy with it. It took a little getting used to how it sets up and sits but now it's very comfortable and I really love the zipper - no more digging around in my bag looking for something at the bottom! I just unzip it and I can find anything in my bag and get it out qucikly.

I just ordered the Arc Haul Zip in Jet Black Gridstop today and most of the bells and whistles that go with it. I'll be 62 when I start my AT thru hike next Feb and look forward to using this pack. And like Jayne I'm stoked about the zipper access. I also am stoked by the flex arch flex system that allows lots of ventilation between the back and the backpack.

I got one shoulder pouch, the hip side pockets of course, two of the 4 in 1 pouches, one as a brain and the other for the chest area. Two pack top pockets, the roll top closure straps, trekking pole holsters, Rock stuff sack and tent peg bag. Price for all this stuff is $576 but I think it's a superior pack to all others and I've looked at them all and read many reviews. Some of the packs come with side pockets and mesh on the front and other like features but the materials are inferior to zpacks and so is the workmanship such as the waterproofness on such as the side pockets.

For my food bag I am getting the REI stainless steel Armored Outdoor Gear Ratsack Cache Food Storage Bag medium 19x18 and will use odor proof bags inside it. I don't plan to hang my food but will if someone complains about it. Our clothes and everything about us smells of food and cooking so hanging is a moot subject IMHO.

https://www.rei.com/product/846495/a...od-storage-bag

I found that peppermint is a deterrent to rodents and raccoons, ect, so I've ordered a 4oz bottle of 100% extract from wally world to mix about a 2oz small sprayer with the stuff to spray around my pack in shelters and even inside and out of my tent area.

Images

Just purchased an Arc Haul this season and am super grateful for the opportunity. Coming a Granite Gear Blaze AC 60, I am super impressed by the Haul's frame set up and comfort. My base weight is is about 7lbs, but I've met folks with much heavier gear loving the Haul.
    I recommend it.

I use an ARC Haul zip. Definitely recommend the zip. Digging through your bag for stuff at the bottom is a real PITA at times.

I just finished a 4 day Foothills hike, I started with a 19 lb ArcHaul including 1 liter of water It worked great. Prior to this I hiked 8 days in the GSMN, I had the often heard of complaint about lower back or lumbar pain. I used a ball cap visor slid up under the hipbelt for 1 day that alleviated the problem, the next day I was able to adjust it out, I have not had a problem since. I think this is a great pack.

If it's virtually empty and if you add a ball cap "hack", it's a great pack for a few hundred bucks?
    What's it like with a real load for a week or two, low temperatures in the 20s and no baseball cap?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Today I finished 133 miles with my new Arc Haul Zip and love it. Adding belt pouches/pockets was nice. They are large and hold phone, snacks, etc. Decided to use the smaller outside zipper compartment as a wet area. Tent and rain gear go here. The large compartment is for everything else. This arrangement seemed to work well while tenting in wet weather.

I just received my Granite Gear Crown 2. I'm stoked about the velcro adjustable hip belt, as I expect to lose my spare tire by about Virginia on the AT next year, and I would need a replacement hip belt with other manufacturers' packs. I went with a Medium pack, as the GG folks say if you're within ½" of the midpoint (18"-21" Medium, 21"-24" Long) you can go either way, and my torso is just under 21½". But hey, a couple ounces saved is still a couple ounces. Plus the new pack includes hip belt pockets (a must for me) and a lid (removable to shed weight). (Also the end of Crown V.C. 60 ugly color combos!)

Crown2BackORIG.jpgCrown2FrontORIG.jpg

19 lb. is virtually empty ? I thought this was a UL forum. Maybe you a should load up a 60lb pack and go have a picnic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    If it's virtually empty and if you add a ball cap "hack", it's a great pack for a few hundred bucks?
    What's it like with a real load for a week or two, low temperatures in the 20s and no baseball cap?
    Wayne

Splitting hairs again.
    Later.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by mitch View Post
    19 lb. is virtually empty ? I thought this was a UL forum. Maybe you a should load up a 60lb pack and go have a picnic.
    I used my Arc Blast on a 3.5 day-3 night Black Forest Trail loop in early April with somewhat heavier UL kit (for the weather... rain/sleet/snow) and my pack weight was right at 19.5 lbs including food and 20 oz water.

So 19lb is far from 'virtually empty' where UL is concerned.

I'd pay $300 to drop another 5 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    I wonder if I should buy the tent and keep my bag. It may weigh 5Lb but it carries loads like a dream with 0 discomfort and it's completely waterproof and water sealed. I wonder if it would be worth the tradeoff? My pack should weigh in at around 20ish lb with the zpacks tent and backpack and 25ish with the tent and my pack.
    I'd pay $300 to drop another 5 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne

Ball Cap hack????

Post #30.
    Wayne

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++