WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pole tips.

Default Pole tips.

On our third section hike I saw a lot of hiking poles without tips.

Then I lost both of mine and replacement tips as well.

First time I saw or had that issue.

Is it common?

Is there a better brand of tips?

We use black diamond poles if that makes a difference.

Used two different brands so far. REI recommended and hiker box special.

Journal Entries
    Images

Do you mean the rubber tip covers or the replaceable metal tips?o
    Grampie-N->2001

Strange I've got around 1,000 miles on my original BD alpine carbon cork tips...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

I never hike with tips. Carbide out, leaf baskets on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    On our third section hike I saw a lot of hiking poles without tips.

Then I lost both of mine and replacement tips as well.

First time I saw or had that issue.

Is it common?

Is there a better brand of tips?

We use black diamond poles if that makes a difference.

Used two different brands so far. REI recommended and hiker box special.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Do you mean the rubber tip covers or the replaceable metal tips?o
    the rubber tip covers.

Funny but I never use the rubber tip covers as I rely on the titanium point-tip to grip the trail and the rocks and for creek crossings etc. And over the years I've had to replace about 6 pole tips because the titanium point falls off---mostly due to the downward pounding whereby the metal tip gets pushed down into the hard rubber and falls off. Easy enough to replace with a two pairs of pliars and a replacement tip.

Btw, you can use Leki replacement tips on Bk Diamond poles if you cut the end of the pole off an inch or so with a hacksaw. Or better yet, just get Bk D pole tips.

Journal Entries

Ive picked up many rubber tip covers off trails.
    At one point a few yrs ago I had half dozen in door pocket on my truck.
    They simply dont stay on , due to tapered shape of end of tip

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Ive picked up many rubber tip covers off trails.
    At one point a few yrs ago I had half dozen in door pocket on my truck.
    They simply dont stay on , due to tapered shape of end of tip
    ****....I thought I was the only one who picked up those damn things....I thought OP was talking about carbide tips....I tossed those covers before I ever used the poles....I assume if you hiking on asphalt they'd serve a purpose....useless for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same opinion, rubber pole tipes are great for asphalt and concrete but rapidly become litter on the trail. I have picked up more than a few. I do replace the actual pole tips when the carbides wear out (which they eventually do).

GA-ME 2011
    Images

What is the easiest way to remove tips?

I watched the outfitter in DWG use a large adjustable wrench. He opened it enough to clear the pole and with one hard smack knocked the tip off.

Apparently the tips are tapered and just pressed into place, no adhesive or fasteners are used.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Stick 'em in boiling water for about 30 sec and they'll come right off by hand.

You can't get 'em hot enough in water (212). Use cooking oil to heat 'em in.

I usually just take a big crescent wrench and adjust the jaws so they are up close to the diameter of the pole. I then hold one end of the pole and quickly slide the wrench along the shaft catching the top edge of the tip. I usually takes a couple of taps and they come off.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I usually just take a big crescent wrench and adjust the jaws so they are up close to the diameter of the pole. I then hold one end of the pole and quickly slide the wrench along the shaft catching the top edge of the tip. I usually takes a couple of taps and they come off.
    Huh. They came off a lot easier when hiking. Only noticed they were missing well after they were gone.

We are jumping between the permanent tips and the replaceable rubber tips. The replaceable rubber tips just slide tight on. The permanent tips are pounded on a tapered fit.

I've found the carbide tips don't wear out, they get pushed up into the plastic ends. They are just press fitted into the housing and there is no stop to prevent them from being pushed up into the housing.

I've also found the boiling water trick to work well to get the housing off the end of the pole. I lost the whole tip assembly in MD when the basket got stuck between some rocks and came off when I tugged on the pole to get it out. But I didn't notice until a few miles later. Or it could have been a couple 100 feet, no way to know. Having no tip was a real pain and couldn't get a replacement until I reached Waynesboro. ( I was SOBO).
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I've found the carbide tips don't wear out, they get pushed up into the plastic ends. They are just press fitted into the housing and there is no stop to prevent them from being pushed up into the housing.
    Ive heard people say they wore the carbide out
    They must be cheap quality if so somehow

They fall out the aluminum, or bend or fall out tj plastic in my experience

1500 miles on these, the cup is still quite evident in the carbide tip. The edge of the cup is a little worn. It might take 10000 miles just to get past the cup on end of tip. Then 3/4 of carbide is still left.

But as you can see, the aluminum insert is pounding into plastic and bulging around edge of it
    IMG_20170527_173558.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-27-2017 at 18:45.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I have the same opinion, rubber pole tipes are great for asphalt and concrete but rapidly become litter on the trail. I have picked up more than a few. I do replace the actual pole tips when the carbides wear out (which they eventually do).
    This has been my experience as well. I have a pair of the rubber tips for my BD poles. Their main purpose is to cover the carbide tip when to protect my duffle bag when I'm traveling by air or rail. I never found them useful for actual hiking.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I have worn out carbine tips on Lekis. Of course I live in the whites that tend to be a lot more rocky. I have also seen where the plastic around the pole tip wears out and what is left of the tip disappears.

Minor rant - The tips are supposed to be replaceable but more than a few outdoor gear retailers would much rather sell new poles.

My BD poles are somehow able to keep the rubber tips on pretty well and are handy when walking on hard surfaces or where there is a lot of leaf litter. That said, my hiking buddy could not keep rubber tips on his Leki poles and ended up drilling a small hole through the rubber tip and the end of the pole itself, using some light aircraft safety wire to hold them on. Hasn't lost one yet and he can remove them quickly when needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++