WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

Default My experience with the trail shoe: Saucony Excursion Trl 9

I figured I would do a small review on this shoe.

My 9's are over a year old at this point and have gone through hell. I have hiked dolly sods in them through two days of mud. I wore them to work pretty much 5 days a week since I got them. I also hiked local trails, day trips, old rag, etc. They have been through numerous terrains in all conditions. (They smell at this point.)

For being less than $60, these shoes have held up pretty good in the last year as well.

After a year of full everyday use;
    - Tread is still usable for everyday use but has gotten less grippy. They are slippery to wear if you are mopping a store, or hiking over slick rocks.
    - Back Heel inside stuffing has bunched up, but it does not chafe the heel at all. It doesn't even both me. The stuffing bunched up after running them through the washer and dryer. (Dolly Sods)
    - The sides of the shoe are starting to pull away from the shoe, but it is still very much secure to the sole.

Other than that. These were actually really good budget shoes. The faults didn't even phase the wear of the shoes. These shoes dry fairly fast since they are made of some sort of mesh material. They are flexible, and lightweight to wear. They come in medium and wide. (thank god) And, dark colors to hide the mud (mine are grey)

I have plantar's fascitis. For the first time in a long time, I hiked a good 13 mile distance and my feet did not hurt. I even speed walked a total of 12 miles, pushing myself because I wanted to see the sunset from the top of a overlook, and my feet felt great in the end. No pain. No pain the next day.

I just ordered the Trl 10's, and am excited to get to try them. For now, the old shoes are going to be spare work shoes for when my normal shoes are wet.

Links:
    Old- http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAUCO...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

(I got mine from dsw and they had wides at the time.)

New- https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/sa...womens-/358633

(New Versions.)

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

Thanks for the review, FooFooCuddlyPoops.

Based on your review and the fact that Saucony has been one of the two brands that usually fit my feet better than most, I decided to shop for some of my own. The TR9s are last year's model, so of course they've already been superseded. The TR10s were noted as being relatively stiff and heavy compared to the previous model, so I hunted around and managed to find a pair of the discontinued TR9s in my size. (I had no choice of the color scheme, but at the closeout price for an already low-priced trail runner I'm not going to complain about them being ugly.) So that makes one pair of the ~4 pairs I'll need for next year's through-hike that I can start to break in. I thought about also getting a pair a half size larger for further down the Trail, but struck out on that search.

I'm using the 10s as beater shoes at work. Surprisingly durable. Pretty horrible insole stock.

Worn exclusively for the last 5 months of 18 hour days on concrete floors
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

I had the 9s before and definitely think they were a more comfortable shoe. Gave up as they just blew out the sides. Over a thousand miles of Acadia granite, peak bagging whites and 5 katahdin climbs. Pretty good for a sub 50$ shoe when I purchased em

The upper durability was pretty poor several holes. Soles did well at the end they were pretty much devoid of tread.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

++ New Posts ++