WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Campers want wifi

and in other news...

Americans are camping in record numbers, but still want wifi.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxne...wi-fi.amp.html

Taking the family to the GC this summer and have booked a cabin on the north rim.
    My daughter cannot believe that there is no TV or internet.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

This gives me a great idea to mess with people. Maybe this spring when I'm on trail I'll start posting papers in the shelter listing fake Wifi network names and passwords!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

The increasing attempt to commercialize and own Nature..the environment.

Sleeping in a metal box on wheels is not camping.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    This gives me a great idea to mess with people. Maybe this spring when I'm on trail I'll start posting papers in the shelter listing fake Wifi network names and passwords!
    Put an entry for it in the register. "Picked up a weak network uphill about 400 feet on the ridge" "Happened to notice an open WiFi network about 100 feet past the second water hole. If you can't see it, you may have to key it in manually, but it was called...." Sit back, cook dinner, and watch people periodically trudge uphill or downstream.

I wonder if you could spoof a WiFi hotspot without having your device actually connected to your provider. Maybe there's a router that works on batteries...
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Get some of those "FREE WI-FI" stickers they put in coffee shop windows and stick it to the register box in the shelter Some shelters already have dummy electrical outlets to add to the fun.

Actually, it wouldn't be hard to have cell based WI-FI at many shelter sites, it just cost money to do so. Get a corporate sponsor?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Oh! I love this game! Yes!

Default Campers want wifi

"Free beer and Wi-Fi at the next shelter"
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Journal Entries
    Images

LoL, there is an outlet on the side of the privy at Pogo campsite in MD...made me laugh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Get some of those "FREE WI-FI" stickers they put in coffee shop windows and stick it to the register box in the shelter Some shelters already have dummy electrical outlets to add to the fun.

Actually, it wouldn't be hard to have cell based WI-FI at many shelter sites, it just cost money to do so. Get a corporate sponsor?
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

I like my electronics and doubt I'd ever hike without em.

Cool Laugh all you want.

The Rio Chama RV Park in Chama, NM has a lovely, large, grassy and shaded area for tent campers. Away from the big rigs, yet convenient to the clean restrooms and hot showers. Free Wi-Fi, picnic table and fire ring included.
    Rate: $15/night. $3-$5/night cheaper than the primitive Forest Service campgrounds up the road.
    It's a great place to clean up, fill up & resupply if you're backpacking in the area.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The Rio Chama RV Park in Chama, NM has a lovely, large, grassy and shaded area for tent campers. Away from the big rigs, yet convenient to the clean restrooms and hot showers. Free Wi-Fi, picnic table and fire ring included.
    Rate: $15/night. $3-$5/night cheaper than the primitive Forest Service campgrounds up the road.
    It's a great place to clean up, fill up & resupply if you're backpacking in the area.
    Wayne
    Good rates. However, I wouldn't camp at a RV park that DIDN'T have WiFi these days...

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

From a recent hut trip:

33101336716_eab49e7f88.jpg

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

What? Wait! You mean their isn't free WiFi at all the shelters?
    That's it! I'm calling off my 2019 thru attempt!

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/201...with-no-wi-fi/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please be kind to your shelter maintainers and don't stick any stickers anywhere in the shelter. The suggestion to write it in the register gave me a good chuckle, though.

I wonder if this little wifi notice isn't from someone using their phone to set up a temporary wifi network while they stayed overnight in the shelter?

I've done that in a hostel …

(But like the dutiful boy I am, I took down the sticker when I turned off my network …)

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Put an entry for it in the register. "Picked up a weak network uphill about 400 feet on the ridge" "Happened to notice an open WiFi network about 100 feet past the second water hole. If you can't see it, you may have to key it in manually, but it was called...." Sit back, cook dinner, and watch people periodically trudge uphill or downstream.

I wonder if you could spoof a WiFi hotspot without having your device actually connected to your provider. Maybe there's a router that works on batteries...

I really think we're on to something here! This could provide a lot of entertainment for me this summer and if I do it right and people are gullible enough, I might even be able to set it up so that it it causes people to concentrate use onto areas that are best for trail management!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++