WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    A smart phone is just a piece of equipment, no different than any other pieces of equipment used when hiking. Hiking equipment has improved over time, making hiking a more enjoyable experience. My point is that a smart phone can be an extremely useful piece of equipment, and I don't understand why some people are so dead set against them when hiking. Rather than focus on the frivolous way many people use smart phones, I tend to focus on all the things they can do to make a hike more enjoyable.
    To me a smartphone is not the same as other pieces of equipment I use when hiking. When I'm at home I don't use my backpack or my hiking pole or my boots or my tent or my sleeping pad (uh except for backyard sleeping), my hiking shorts, my MSR stove, my cook pot, my water filter, my little radio---like I use my phone at home. --- ETC ETC.

But when I'm at home I do use my laptop and my cellphone and my car and dozens of things I don't want to use on a backpacking trip; in fact, I don't want to see a car or a computer or a smartphone or a television or a hundred other things when I'm out. Going out for several weeks is my pitiful neanderthal attempt to get away from this crap. If I have to explain it then people just aren't getting it.

I go backpacking to get away from Screens. Get away from forums and the Interwad. Most certainly away from News and TVs and telephones and online blogs and electricity and air conditioning and the usual detritus of modern Syphilization.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    ... A smart phone is just a piece of equipment, no different than any other pieces of equipment used when hiking. Hiking equipment has improved over time, making hiking a more enjoyable experience. My point is that a smart phone can be an extremely useful piece of equipment, and I don't understand why some people are so dead set against them when hiking. Rather than focus on the frivolous way many people use smart phones, I tend to focus on all the things they can do to make a hike more enjoyable.
    Really???

Never saw ANY BACKPACKER or those assembled atop a mountain summit in a trance like Zombie state solely focused, ignoring everything and everyone else, including where they were going - IF they were Zombie like sleep walking around - on their cuben tarp, trail runners, trekking poles, Ti cookpot, sleeping bag, water purification system, backpack, hat, hiking socks, paper map,...

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    To me a smartphone is not the same as other pieces of equipment I use when hiking. When I'm at home I don't use my backpack or my hiking pole or my boots or my tent or my sleeping pad (uh except for backyard sleeping), my hiking shorts, my MSR stove, my cook pot, my water filter, my little radio---like I use my phone at home. --- ETC ETC.

But when I'm at home I do use my laptop and my cellphone and my car and dozens of things I don't want to use on a backpacking trip; in fact, I don't want to see a car or a computer or a smartphone or a television or a hundred other things when I'm out. Going out for several weeks is my pitiful neanderthal attempt to get away from this crap. If I have to explain it then people just aren't getting it.

I go backpacking to get away from Screens. Get away from forums and the Interwad. Most certainly away from News and TVs and telephones and online blogs and electricity and air conditioning and the usual detritus of modern Syphilization.
    I fully understand wanting to get away from tvs, news, etc. A smart phone will do things you may want to get away from, and you can choose not to use those particular functions, but it will do so much more that can enhance the outdoor experience. It can take photos, store maps, be used as a compass, and more, even if you are only using those functions as a back up to your camera, paper maps, compass, etc.

TW, you're most entertaining rants are about those infatuated with the wheel/wheeled couch potatoes and this.

"Going out for several weeks is my pitiful neanderthal attempt to get away from this crap. If I have to explain it then people just aren't getting it.

I go backpacking to get away from Screens. Get away from forums and the Interwad. Most certainly away from News and TVs and telephones and online blogs and electricity and air conditioning and the usual detritus of modern Syphilization."

LOL...lollollol.

Journal Entries

I know a lot of 18-25 YOA who I would swear breathe through their thumbs and get their O2 from their phones.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries

I just found this video and could not stop laughing.
    Blackheart

I have to agree with you Tipi in most respects. However, I will NEVER disrespect A/C, for it is the God of the South. :-)
    Last edited by scrabbler; 07-15-2017 at 00:10.

Entitlement....one of the great obstacles to human development especially in the affluent parts of society. No one needs these devices unless their job requires them. Take them away and after a while people may function normally again.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    Entitlement....one of the great obstacles to human development especially in the affluent parts of society. No one needs these devices unless their job requires them. Take them away and after a while people may function normally again.
    The definition of normal is very subjective, what is normal to one (doing without any technology like phones, electricity, cars, etc) is an outlier to another who finds technology to be a useful tool (like phones, electricity, cars, etc). Hard to pinpoint where normal is in this particular issue other than in degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    The definition of normal is very subjective, what is normal to one (doing without any technology like phones, electricity, cars, etc) is an outlier to another who finds technology to be a useful tool (like phones, electricity, cars, etc). Hard to pinpoint where normal is in this particular issue other than in degrees.
    Hard to pinpoint yes, but doable...take away electrical devices from "today's kids" they're like fish outta water, they can't breath, heat rate goes up, deminished oxygen to organs, Truth!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Hard to pinpoint yes, but doable...take away electrical devices from "today's kids" they're like fish outta water, they can't breath, heat rate goes up, deminished oxygen to organs, Truth!
    Much as taking the car away from us at 17.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Much as taking the car away from us at 17.
    especially on Friday night before a hot date!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    While watching the video I had {*HAD*} to take a couple of hits off my inhaler ...

Anyone who can't go camping without access to wifi..should just stay home and not go camping. This is so ridiculous it makes my head spin. camping is to get away from it all, not to bring it all with you.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Anyone who can't go camping without access to wifi..should just stay home and not go camping. This is so ridiculous it makes my head spin. camping is to get away from it all, not to bring it all with you.
    Why? I know many people that camp for cheap accommodation while they travel and so they can make a fire and enjoy being outside, and not be stuck in a questionable overpriced hotel with nothing to look at but cheap furnishings and the tv.
    I like wilderness sites or primitive campgrounds, but realize that others often don't.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    that was pretty good. "He thought all the shelters were like hostels! haha"

It's actually very easy to have wi-fi on your camping. Just camp in your backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Camp your own camp. People have different reasons for camping. Not all camp to "get away from it all." I don't see how having wifi in a campground interferes with me at all.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

When the word campground enters into the equation...all bets are off. I like my ithingy's.

...besides, what it I get lost on the way up to the community pavilion, and it's dark and all campers have gone to bed, I might need my geepéz

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++