WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Wind River Range early Sept: Revisiting backpacking trip suggestion

Re-posting due to thread title not being completely visible and maybe missed by those who showed initial interest:

This was a subject that was brought up by a couple of people in another thread a while back when I shared my Solitude Trail hike blog

Was anyone who commented in that thread still interested in a few days backpacking the Winds during early September? I'd love to do the WRR for a few days but I absolutely refuse to do any solo hiking in Grizzly country.

(Mods please close other thread).

I'd really like to do a hike out there someday, but it would have to be for more than a few days to justify the effort it would take me to get there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Cool I would like to be there.

Put me down as somewhere in between a definite maybe to an ABSOLUTELY! I'll be there.
    But seriously.
    A friend and I are talking about the Weminuche Wilderness in August. That would be a perfect warm up before the Winds in early September. If that trip doesn't work out, I'll find someplace to hike for a week to get ready for the Winds. The Tetons perhaps?
    Okay, the bad news. I'm old. I may be slower than you. Altitude doesn't bother me. I'm fully geared up and aiming for 1 week trips. If I have to set an alarm an start early and hike late to keep up I will.
    Do you have an idea for a route? Will you have a car so we can set up a point to point hike without needing to hire a shuttle? Will you bring your dogs? They are not a problem for me. Just curious.
    Please keep me in mind. PM me if you like.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Re-posting due to thread title not being completely visible and maybe missed by those who showed initial interest:

This was a subject that was brought up by a couple of people in another thread a while back when I shared my Solitude Trail hike blog

Was anyone who commented in that thread still interested in a few days backpacking the Winds during early September? I'd love to do the WRR for a few days but I absolutely refuse to do any solo hiking in Grizzly country.

(Mods please close other thread).
    Which route are you thinking?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

We are headed there in August
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Just wanted to say I was there last late August and it was unreal. This year I'm heading to check out the Sierra Nevada for the first time or I would consider joining. Enjoy the trip.

To answer some questions:

Mainiac: I have no route in mind...was thinking that if people showed interest there might be some brainstorming going on and some particular areas people would most like to do. I'm not picky. Hoping to find 3-4 others who would be really interested and would want their input also. Any recommendations are also welcome.

I am thinking the first full week of September, starting Labor Day so the crowds are pretty much heading out at that point.

I'm generally a 10-12 mile day kind of hiker, maybe up to 15 if absolutely necessary. I like to stop and smell the roses as I hike, take pictures, shoot some video etc. I like to do week-long trips; longer if the weather is favorable, less if it's icky.

Venchka...I will have my vehicle and probably my RV since would likely be my last back country trip up here before heading south for the winter. And yes, I will have my dogs...

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

To answer some questions:

Mainiac: I have no route in mind...was thinking that if people showed interest there might be some brainstorming going on and some particular areas people would most like to do. I'm not picky. Hoping to find 3-4 others who would be really interested and would want their input also. Any recommendations are also welcome.

I am thinking the first full week of September, starting Labor Day so the crowds are pretty much heading out at that point.

I'm generally a 10-12 mile day kind of hiker, maybe up to 15 if absolutely necessary. I like to stop and smell the roses as I hike, take pictures, shoot some video etc. I like to do week-long trips; longer if the weather is favorable, less if it's icky.

Venchka...I will have my vehicle and probably my RV since would likely be my last back country trip up here before heading south for the winter. And yes, I will have my dogs...
    any and all are welcome to join us..we'll be heading up glacier trail from dubois. 2 couples
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    any and all are welcome to join us..we'll be heading up glacier trail from dubois. 2 couples
    Shame you are going in August. I will be on the Medicine Bow 100 during that time.

I'm good for 10-12 miles per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I have mapped out a rough idea of a trail on CalTopo starting from Big Sandy TH and ending at Boulder Lake that looks like it might catch some of the highlights and crossing the CD 4 times. It would be right around 65 miles, which for me is doable in about 5.5-6 days.

I can post a link to the map if anyone is interested.

Or maybe 7 days if we happen upon a campsite that is to nice to leave and perfect for a day hike exploration?
    Does your route include Cirque of the Towers and Titcomb Basin?
    Shucks, I'm not that picky. Just tell me where to be and when.
    Wayne

A link would be great. Thanks.
    Wayne

It goes right by Cirque of the Towers but not Titcomb Basin which is quite a bit further north. I did mark Titcomb Basin on the map for reference.

Here's the map link. I'm obviously happy for suggestions of rerouting or better ideas (like staying on the Fremont or Highline trail to got to Titcomb Basin)...gotta love CalTopo.

https://caltopo.com/m/BGQP

I'm also contemplating the Wyoming Range National Scenic Trail but I'm not finding much about water availability along that trail.

It goes right by Cirque of the Towers but not Titcomb Basin which is quite a bit further north. I did mark Titcomb Basin on the map for reference.

Here's the map link. I'm obviously happy for suggestions of rerouting or better ideas (like staying on the Fremont or Highline trail to got to Titcomb Basin)...gotta love CalTopo.

https://caltopo.com/m/BGQP
    Thanks for the map. What would the logistics look like to get from an airport to the trail? What are some good options?

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Thanks for the map. What would the logistics look like to get from an airport to the trail? What are some good options?
    Jackson would be the closes airport but not the cheapest and a shuttle to the trail head is expensive. I think most people fly to Salt Lake and rent a car to drive from there. I will have a vehicle with me, but only have three seats in it and will be parking it at one of the THs. Sounds like Venchka would be driving or flying and renting also.

Another possible trail would be this one:

https://caltopo.com/m/QT98

The second hike would be possible in 6 days at 12 miles a day. I have to limit my food carry to five nights, six days since I will have to carry one meal for the dogs and that's about all I can manage since I only weigh in at 110# (and maybe less after all the hiking I'll be doing this summer).

Cool

Jackson would be the closes airport but not the cheapest and a shuttle to the trail head is expensive. I think most people fly to Salt Lake and rent a car to drive from there. I will have a vehicle with me, but only have three seats in it and will be parking it at one of the THs. Sounds like Venchka would be driving or flying and renting also.
    I will drive from home. I may be backpacking in southwest Colorado before heading to Wyoming. My other option would be to go to Wyoming directly from home for some backpacking before this trip. It's really too early to know. For shuttle purposes, if I don't bring too much stuff, my wagon will handle 4 people and backpacks. Not sure how many people and dogs.
    In my experience, Jackson Hole Airport is the most expensive to fly into. Denver is the least expensive and Salt Lake City and Idaho Falls are in between Denver and Jackson. I've seen Denver flights low enough to pay for the rental car and still be less than Jackson. According to Google Maps, Denver to Big Sandy Campground is an 8 hour drive. Salt Lake City to Big Sandy Campground is 5 1/2-6 hours. Boulder Lake Campground to/from Big Sandy Campground is 2 1/2 - 3 hours of mostly unpaved road.
    When you get down to the nitty and the gritty this starts to get complicated.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    When you get down to the nitty and the gritty this starts to get complicated.
    Wayne
    Which is why I'm putting this out there now

I know it's definitely a lot more complicated for others than it is for me since it is only across the state for me and a generally short/easy drive. IO'm pretty easy going on stuff...so I'm good with whatever people want to do or go with other suggestions. Easier access to trail heads would be nice I must admit.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++