WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    As long as you don't take tips on tats from this cat.Attachment 38859
    Meoooowwwww
    "Hell ain't half full. Hike on!" - Chena

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    To Hikernutcasey - (I don't know how to do the quotes thingy) - I think Scare Bear was just commenting on your tat - and maybe not in a negative way. I looked at the photo for while before I figured it out. . . I like it, and it's an unusual rendering of the AT logo. At first I was trying to "read" the little squiggly lines inside the circle (thought maybe it was names of the shelters?) until I figured out the design is a tree and it's the year lines. At any rate, you got a great design, and one that is uniquely yours!
    Thanks man!
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    This is excellent advice. This is what I did. I got my first tattoo at 44. I literally wear my heart on my sleeve. My tattoo is a tribute to our daughter who died named Autumn and it is fall leaves of New England. I knew what I was looking for in a tattoo so I found an artist who could do the work.

This is mine.

Attachment 38832
    Truly beautiful.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Not sure why you think it's a "cop out" when a tattoo is hidden. A tattoo is personal and has meaning to the person who has it...it isn't acquired for you or your viewing pleasure.
    Theres no pleasure in viewing vast majority of tatoos, or bodies sporting them...

The difference between art, and graffitti, is often only location
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-27-2017 at 09:33.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Theres no pleasure in viewing vast majority of tatoos, or bodies sporting them...

The difference between art, and graffitti, is often only location
    Sorry, I don't understand. It sounds like you'd appreciate people not being flamboyant with their tattoos and bodies by choosing to be discreet, instead of criticizing that it's a "cop out".

I'll get a "HYOH" on one calf and "You're doing it wrong" on the other ;-)

Journal Entries

Not sure why you think it's a "cop out" when a tattoo is hidden. A tattoo is personal and has meaning to the person who has it...it isn't acquired for you or your viewing pleasure.
    I agree. While I don't understand some tats I've seen, no one asked me to get one like on my body.
    Blackheart

The difference between art, and graffitti, is often only location[/QUOTE]

The difference between art and graffiti would be ownership and the right to perform said art. Your body, your art. I have tattoos from my ear lobes to my tippy toes. I find that if I don't make a big deal out of them others do the same.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Every time I think about getting one, there's always something else that needs doin' with $400 bucks. Think I'll give myself one with needle and ink.

...thinkin' about a bake potato on my forearm, with butter.

Journal Entries

Sorry, I don't understand. It sounds like you'd appreciate people not being flamboyant with their tattoos and bodies by choosing to be discreet, instead of criticizing that it's a "cop out".

You have every right to do as you like with your body.

You also might have the right to paint polka dotted shutters on your house, and put up a zebra striped fence.

But if I have to look at it.....I will call it like I see it.

Whats displayed on your skin , can say as much about you to others as how you dress, act, or speak.

Whats anyones impression of this guy?
    high achiever?
    Smart?
    Good match for your daughter?

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/att...chmentid=38859

Ill defend this guys right to destroy his face
    But id also tell him.....mistake....big frickin mistake
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-27-2017 at 16:07.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

* Scar tissue on my arms and legs from falls, scrapes, and other mishaps from 20 years of outdoor fun.
    * Sun-spots on my cheek bones from being blase' about sun protection when I was younger
    * Wrinkles in the corner of my eyes when I smile now that I am in my 40s. Partially related to item two above.

I guess those are my outdoor tatoos.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

You also might have the right to paint polka dotted shutters on your house, and put up a zebra striped fence.

Whats displayed on your skin , can say as much about you to others as how you dress, act, or speak.

high achiever?
    Smart?

I think most of us would agree that the guy you linked to probably didn't think that through very well but it's a big jump from that to someone getting a tattoo that is personal and means something to them and is tastefully done.

Your statements seem very judgemental in nature and for those of us who have made the decision to get a tattoo it comes across as offensive. Look, I don't really care what you think of my tattoo or anyone's for that matter but making blanket derogatory statements isn't cool. Just because you have a tattoo doesn't mean you are a degenerate, underachieving, dumb or have necessarily made a mistake. If it isn't for you fine, but don't judge people because they are different than you.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    I think most of us would agree that the guy you linked to probably didn't think that through very well but it's a big jump from that to someone getting a tattoo that is personal and means something to them and is tastefully done.

Your statements seem very judgemental in nature and for those of us who have made the decision to get a tattoo it comes across as offensive. Look, I don't really care what you think of my tattoo or anyone's for that matter but making blanket derogatory statements isn't cool. Just because you have a tattoo doesn't mean you are a degenerate, underachieving, dumb or have necessarily made a mistake. If it isn't for you fine, but don't judge people because they are different than you.

I honestly dont care if someone had a tattoo.

But people have every right to be judgemental about choices others make, and their appearance.

And trust me, they are. Maybe not to someones face, but they are.

If someone deviates voluntarily from generally accepted norms in appearance . Thats their choice, but their problem, and they must live with any consequences. Visible tattoos may disqualify you from many jobs, or prejudice people about you. Things to consider first, you know?

Im not here to protect anyones ego.

high achiever?
    Smart?

Hey, I totally got this part. What I don't get is why you think it's a "cop out" for someone to hide their tattoo!?! You're saying opposite things.

But no matter, it wasn't my intention to get into a stupid argument...I was merely curious.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...thinkin' about a bake potato on my forearm, with butter.
    You ain't right.

Quote Originally Posted by daveiniowa View Post
    I do not have any tatoos. My wife has several. I was never really interested in getting any because I did not feel passionate enough about anything, because I have changed so much over the years. If I got a tattoo years ago I am sure it would mean very little to me today. Then one day within the last few months, I realized that hiking and camping, etc. has always been there for me. I love it so much that I think I could get a small tattoo representing what I love to do so much. But what? Where?

Art work? Mountains? Words? And would anyone that saw it even understand it?

So I am looking for ideas here. Hike on.
    I'm partial to compass tattoos. Check out Pinterest for ideas.

Journal Entries

Hey, I totally got this part. What I don't get is why you think it's a "cop out" for someone to hide their tattoo!?! You're saying opposite things.

But no matter, it wasn't my intention to get into a stupid argument...I was merely curious.
    Not proud enough of it, or afraid of repercussions to display it.

I got more respect for the guy that tattoos a giant spider on his face (even if I think hes a dumbass), that the person that hides a butterfly next to their areola...

Friend of mine got fraternity letters on his ankle in college
    Within a few weeks, he realized he only got it because he wanted his fraternity bros to think he was cool. He kept it covered with sock and was ashamed if it really. About a year later he asked his dad to pay for it to be removed.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-27-2017 at 18:01.

Default Tatoo for AT, Hiking, Mountains, & Camping?

"Generally accepted norms"?

I'm pretty sure MW is my father in law. Lol
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

I'm partial to compass tattoos. Check out Pinterest for ideas.
    I'm partial to highway warning signs....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++