WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Zero day in Marion or Atkins?

I'll be hiking the section from Damascus to Pearisburg in late May. I'm trying to figure out the best spot to take a zero day and resupply midway. Is it easy to get a shuttle to Marion? Or just as well to hike right off the trail in Atkins to the Relax Inn? Any input is welcome.

I have hitched a ride on VA16 twice with no problem into Marion and I have stayed at the Relax Inn last fall. Marion is by far the better resupply point, meaning more options. The Relax inn will probly be full or close to it in May with the thru-hiker bubble coming along. You can get some resupply at the gas station next door to the Inn and there is a nice little Mexican restaurant in the next station up the hill(closed Mondays). The Barn restaurant has decent food as well.

Thanks! I'm also wondering if I should hike a little farther and stay at the Quarter Way Inn. I'm sure everything will be crowded.

Images

A brand new hostel is close to opening near Marion.

If you want more privacy, Quarter Way Inn offers that and more...Tina offers a super clean and friendly accommodation.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMartin View Post
    I'll be hiking the section from Damascus to Pearisburg in late May. I'm trying to figure out the best spot to take a zero day and resupply midway. Is it easy to get a shuttle to Marion? Or just as well to hike right off the trail in Atkins to the Relax Inn? Any input is welcome.
    There's not much in Atkins. At the I-81 crossing is the Relax Inn and a couple of gas stations. A few miles west, in the actual town of Atkins, there is a Comfort Inn and a couple of gas station/country grocery stores. A Dollar General. A laundromat.

Marion has far more choices: several motels, plenty of restaurants, and several large grocery stores within walking distance of the hotels. A good bbq place and an army/navy store in the downtown area (not really walking distance but hitching isn't hard).

Also, there is public transit from both the Partnership Shelter and the gas station at the I-81 crossing. The bus runs several times per day (you have to call first to let them know to come), it's dirt cheap, and it'll take you to and from Marion.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I actually intended to zero at partnership shelter since it has a solar shower but got in and out of Marion quick enough to nero and cowboy camp close to I-81. I got up too early so I couldn't stop at the breakfast place by the interstate the next morning.

As noted, Marion is much better for resupply as it has several major supermarkets and a Walmart. I usually hitch into town and call a taxi to get back, but might try the bus next time.

The Relax inn is a real dump. But the room was warm, the shower hot, the TV worked, the price was right and it was cold and raining outside the day I stayed there. And I had just spent the night before in Marion. Sometimes that happens...

With the gas station convenience store you walk right by in Atkins, you don't have to load up too much on snacks in Marion and get a lunch there or at the Barn too.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    I actually intended to zero at partnership shelter since it has a solar shower
    Just to clarify: the shower at Partnership was heated, not solar, but the heater is broken so it's cold showers for the foreseeable future, according to the folks at the ranger station.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I took a day off in Marion and loved it. Took the bus from the ranger station into town. I think it was 50 cents. Also used the bus several times to get around town, they would pick you up and drop you off. Also got back to the trail by bus. All you had to do was give them a call and they were usually there in less than half an hour.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

The relax Inn is terrible. I've stayed in shelters that were cleaner. I wouldn't advise staying there one night, let along zeroing there.
    The barn food was so-so but it will fill you up at a relatively cheap price, worth the stop there for that reason alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

Default Zero day in Marion or Atkins?

Quote Originally Posted by jj dont play View Post
    The relax Inn is terrible. I've stayed in shelters that were cleaner. I wouldn't advise staying there one night, let along zeroing there.
    The barn food was so-so but it will fill you up at a relatively cheap price, worth the stop there for that reason alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well it depends on your perspective. The Relax Inn isn't suitable for a vacationing family or couple when there is a nice new Holiday Inn Express, or a Country Inn nearby. But it fine for a hiker.

The rooms are older, obviously built in the 1950's and well worn, but I found my room very acceptable and clean with an operating TV, hot shower, and a very well operating AC (it was hot in June 2015). Plenty of room to spread stuff out to air out.

What more does a hiker want for 40 bucks?
    Last edited by Deacon; 03-26-2017 at 14:50.

Marion shelter you can order pizza and they have a shower

Images

Quote Originally Posted by righand View Post
    Marion shelter you can order pizza and they have a shower
    These things are true, with some caveats. The shower is now cold-water only since the heater died. No word on when it might be fixed (I'm checking in again with the ranger station next month.) The pizza places will sometimes deliver, but they may have a minimum order that is more than one pizza or even two. It's a long drive from Marion where the pizza place is located to the shelter. Also, tip the driver well
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++