WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Puffy---with hood or not?

I'm looking at down puffy jackets. A hooded one would be warmer, but when raining, seems the hood would get wet even under my rain jacket hood. Which do you have? Hooded or not.

Images

I prefer a synthetic "puffy" just for this reason. A rain jacket will NOT protect your "puffy" from getting wet while hiking, either from sweat or rain infiltration. If the "Puffy" is synthetic, when you might rarely use it while hiking, it won't have disastrous results when it does get wet. I also prefer one with a hood - MUCH warmer than separate jacket/hat/buff combinations, but either will work.

Only rarely should you need a "puffy" while hiking. Base layer and a reasonable mid layer under a rain/wind shell usually keeps me warm while hiking well below freezing temperatures.

I DO use down for my sleeping bag, no contest there.

I never hike in my puffy. Thats just silly beans. Too damn warm to hike in a puffy. It stays in my pack 90% of the time. Comes out when I stop for the day. To keep me warm. Or another layer to sleep in, in which case, a hood helps.

No hood for me...it just gets in the way. I prefer the modular system of a puffy and a warm hat

thanks y'all
    not thinking of hiking in it, but for warmth at camp. Seems like the hood would get in the way or get wet under the rain shell, but be warmer and good for extra sleeping layer.
    decisions, decisions....

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I prefer a synthetic "puffy" just for this reason. A rain jacket will NOT protect your "puffy" from getting wet while hiking, either from sweat or rain infiltration. If the "Puffy" is synthetic, when you might rarely use it while hiking, it won't have disastrous results when it does get wet. I also prefer one with a hood - MUCH warmer than separate jacket/hat/buff combinations, but either will work.

Only rarely should you need a "puffy" while hiking. Base layer and a reasonable mid layer under a rain/wind shell usually keeps me warm while hiking well below freezing temperatures.

I DO use down for my sleeping bag, no contest there.
    I have a synthetic Patagona for that mid Laura to go with a light hoody for that reason.

The down is only for after camp is set up and I'm in a tent and shelter out of the rain.

No hood for me because I use a quilt. Need a hat not attached to a jacket to be versitile and use with my sleep system. Also allows a choice between a Beanie and a True Down Hat in Camp. I much prefer my Black Rock Down Hat with my UL Down Jacket than I would the Anorak; but i's all a personal choice.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

A hooded puffy jacket means you need a second warm hat when its too hot for the puffy jacket, but too cold to go bare headed. And like the person above, I use a quilt so I want my warm hat to sleep in and I rarely wear my jacket to bed as its my pillow.

I liked the idea of a hood. But a regular jacket has served me better

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The only time I might desire a puffy w/ hood is when I'm not active - belay jacket, car camping sitting around jacket, after climbing bivying on exposed ledges/traverses, etc.

I don't have a hooded puffy to wear when hiking. I like being modular/component oriented.

I only use my puffy in camp, as any time other than December to February, it would be waaay to hot to actually hike in. As mentioned by another poster up-thread, I prefer Primaloft insulation instead of down because it's less affected by dampness. In the summer, I rock a bag which is notionally rated at 32-degrees, but it's true comfort temperature limit is probably more like 40 or 42 degrees. Since I usually have a few nights where goes down to the low-30s, I tend to sleep in my puffy, wearing both a beanie and a hood. The beanie is better insulation, but I like using the hood too because you can cinch up the drawstring and essentially seal off 70 percent of your head from the cold air. I find it much warmer to use both the beanie and my hood.

Anyway, think about how you want to use your puffy. I carry a lighter bag and rely on my puffy to get me through the 10% of nights which are colder than can be handled by my bag alone. If you just need a jacket for camp, don't worry about a hood. But if you are wearing it to bed, then I'd say the hood is golden.

Boyz in da hood here.....only worn my down parka once while hiking....over my wind jacket and rain parka. I find the hood adds way more warmth than a hat and buff alone but combined is nice and toasty.....compressed insulation isn't effective...why it was worn outside needless to say I wasn't sweating! 50mph wind at 20*!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No hood. A light wool beanie and my rain jacket hood suffice just fine, even below freezing. Although I prefer to save it for camp, I have hiked with my down sweater on occasion when it got real cold, like last at the end of March when I was night hiking on a ridge in the Smokies and the wind chill was down around zero. Dual use and all that.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hear hear.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I never hike in my puffy. Thats just silly beans. Too damn warm to hike in a puffy. It stays in my pack 90% of the time. Comes out when I stop for the day. To keep me warm. Or another layer to sleep in, in which case, a hood helps.

No hood for me; I prefer a separate hat/beanie set up. I do have a hood on my marmot essence shell that comes in handy now and then... but that's a whole different topic

No hood on my puffy jacket. I've got a fleece beanie for my head and a merino wool buff for my neck. There's a hood on my mummy bag, a hood on my silk bag liner, and a hood on my Frogg Toggs jacket. I think I've got enough options to keep my head warm on those cold occasions when a hood on a puffy jacket would have been welcome, and I don't have a hood that's just in the way on warmer occasions.

Marmot is having an end of year sale. Just got a great coat for $75 including shipping.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well the posts are in both directions. Funny when most of us use a light weight mummy bag with a hood and push it away or sleep on top, on a warm night. Due to some current medication I can't fit into my old mummy bag at the moment. So I put on a treated down puffy with a hood and yes I carry a fleece beanie for the trail. Imagine for a moment that you put the coat on and shimmy into the bag... On the coldest nights you mover deeper into the bag as you are doubling up. Most puffys are under one pound with or without the hood.

My vote is with a hood. I like more feathers....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I always advocated for puffy jackets with a hood, and both of my current down jackets are hooded. That would normally be my only really warm head covering -- I'd carry a light fleece beanie in cold weather for hiking, and count on my puffy hood in camp, and my sleeping bag hood when sleeping.

So, now I mostly use a quilt for sleeping, and I own a separate insulated hood. I can use the hood around camp when it's cold, as well as when sleeping, making the hood on the puffy jacket redundant. I'm not going to get rid of my parkas any time soon, but when they need replacement in a few years, I'll go the hoodless route.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++