WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Zpacks Zero

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    My frustration is that the Zero concept was built around a total no-frills pack that could be built to order for each user's needs. I don't want/use side mesh pockets. Just one more thing to snag on tree branches. The Zero gave me the opportunity to skip those and save a few bucks. Want a roll top vs drawstring closure? Just check the appropriate box and it's built to order. This version seems to eliminate that ability, so the entire concept is out the window and it's time for a new name. At one point the decision between the Zero and the MLD Burn was easy because I got precisely what I wanted to choose in the Zero. Now I can't do that, and Ron's making the Core which is stripped down to the fundamentals and (IMO) is a less expensive and better manufactured option.
    Yeah, I hear ya, but I'm a bit biased because those side pockets are where I always carry my water in my other packs, and sure miss them in my zero. Is it possible however that the new zero top closure is actually lighter than the old zero? Seems like some wasted fabric in the old zero.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Adjustable torso length straps and load lifters on whats billed as a minimalist pack...

Its not only about weight..its about simplicity. It looks busy, gadgety, and oriented toward non-serious UL hikers.

Extra wt...so they can only make 1 size.

Ick...
    Well let's see how they bill it.... if they call it 'minimalist' I will certainly agree on that point... it ain't minimalist! Fortunately plenty of options remaining with other producers for truly minimalist and custom packs.

Adjustable torso on a minimilast pack. It doesn't make much sense to me if it adds weight to the design

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Hopefully the seams are taped as a standard

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    Users experienced with minimalist packs, do you carry your water on a fuel belt to keep the shoulder load light and comfortable?
    For the Core I use the shoulder strap water bottle pocket thingies.

But the kit for those is going to be SUL or SUL-ish and the shoulder load is going to be quite light anyway. MLD is known for those comfortable shoulder straps and it is a well-deserved reputation IME.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Hopefully the seams are taped as a standard

Up to now they've taped everything so that will likely remain the same.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    For the Core I use the shoulder strap water bottle pocket thingies.

But the kit for those is going to be SUL or SUL-ish and the shoulder load is going to be quite light anyway. MLD is known for those comfortable shoulder straps and it is a well-deserved reputation IME.
    I don't have a super light frameless pack... Yet. But most I see with really light packs, most still use the side "water bottle" pockets. Bottles attached to me shoulder straps would annoy me I think

AT 2012

I don't have a super light frameless pack... Yet. But most I see with really light packs, most still use the side "water bottle" pockets. Bottles attached to me shoulder straps would annoy me I think

i think the key to shoulder strap bottles is to keep the weight/size down. i find that .75 liter is fine, and actually ends up being really convenient. just a bit more -- 1 liter -- annoys me. i do like that the weight in the front is balancing pack weight a tad, but i guess that is an imaginary advantage.
    Lazarus

They annoyed me for about an hour. Since then I'm totally sold on them. Instant access on the trail when I'm thirsty, and I can refill at a creek without even taking my pack off if I have Aquamira in a handy pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    i think the key to shoulder strap bottles is to keep the weight/size down. i find that .75 liter is fine, and actually ends up being really convenient. just a bit more -- 1 liter -- annoys me. i do like that the weight in the front is balancing pack weight a tad, but i guess that is an imaginary advantage.
    24 oz/.75 liters sounds about right to me as well. I've gone higher, but it's generally unnecessary with a pack this light anyway. If I need to surge some extra capacity for a campsite that's not near a source I'll just fill up a collapsible 3l bottle before getting there.

When I use the Core my water bottles are 20 oz Gatorade. I thought they might bother me but, as with Caleb, after a little while I didn't even notice they were there. They don't flop around, which is what I suspected they might do... and that would have annoyed me.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well have to see what zpacks is doing with the new zero. The whole point was to build the pack from scratch. So.. we must wait
    I think they did away with all custom options on this pack and it will now just come standard the way pictured. I am still considering it just to try but also considering A palante pack or A custom ULA CDT pack. I do like to do my pack business with ULA as they have always been great with me and A custom cuben 35L pack would be nice.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

It's not exactly custom though. I mea mmn yeah but no lol.. you pick a size, then you pick specific options to add on to the pack. All of which are zpacks spec.

Made to order. Yes. A custom pack. I would say no because zpacks is probably making all the add ons and then just "assembling" the pack with those specific add ons.

However, if you can't build the pack from their choice of add ons and accessories. It's in my opinion they just bombed the zero line of packs

I'm wondering if the picture on the website is just a teaser. It maybe it's a collaboration with all the most popular add ons. But seriously, how many people put load lifters on a pack like a zero? I doubt many put that foam pad holder either.

Or I'm completely wrong and they sell lots of em like that.

Who knows? We'll find out soon

Journal Entries
    Images

Ii have heard thru the grapevine that this is how they are offering it now ,it will come with standard features such as side pockets and back pocket and that is the way they will come with all standard features. I am sure if you contacted zpacks prior to ordering they will leave something off of it but not adding anything extra to it that isnt prefabed for the zero itself.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

So much for the promised March launch. Maybe they're taking it back to the drawing board?

LOL - Looks like they renamed it at the last second (and dropped some options to reduce the price?):
    http://zpacks.com/backpacks/nero.shtml
    Last edited by CalebJ; 04-03-2017 at 17:09.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    LOL - Looks like they renamed it at the last second (and dropped some options to reduce the price?):
    http://zpacks.com/backpacks/nero.shtml
    And rid of loaf lifters and adjustable shoulder strap
    And shed a couple oz

Maybe they read this thread last minute lol..

Looks like a nice pack

Think I'm gonna pick one up. Now to decide on a color.. black or green are my top picks

I succumbed and order an army green one. Never had a cuben pack before. Really excited. Price is pretty good too for a cuben pack. I think it'll make a fantastic day/overnight pack for me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++