WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Zpacks Zero

Default New Zpacks Zero

Should be released in the next few days.

I'm kinda dissapoint with the photo in the website though. Especially if zpacks doesn't let you customize it as much as before.

No side compression straps but load lifters? I'm confused.

Thoughts on the new zero anyone

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Glad I have an old one

Thom

I was waiting to pick one up, then I saw the pic they posted of it and felt the same way. Then Saturday one was listed on hammock forums fs, looks new. The seller said he's used it 6 nights I think. I jumped on!
    I was wanting to see it a little better, if I wasn't going to like it I was thinking of getting Appalachian Ultralight, there packs look great and they'll do custom work I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. I kinda want a palante pack Colorado pack. I really like gossamer gears way of doing things though with the sit light pad holder against your back. But.. I don't like the lid and stuff on the kumo.

Well have to see what zpacks is doing with the new zero. The whole point was to build the pack from scratch. So.. we must wait

I have 2 Zimmerbuilt packs . Great quality and he will make what you want.

Thom

Default New Zpacks Zero

Looks like they keep adding options as standard equipment.

I bought the original Exo pack, the predecessor to the Arc Blast. It weighed in at 14 oz. Now the Arc Blast is 24 oz.

Looks like they're doing the same thing with the Zero. But we'll see once it's released.

Zpacks makes changes as the gear is used on the trail. I had the Arc Blast on my thru hike last year and they updated stuff twice while I was on the trail. They listen to feedback so email them with your questions/concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Looks like they keep adding options as standard equipment.

I bought the original Exo pack, the predecessor to the Arc Blast. It weighed in at 14 oz. Now the Arc Blast is 24 oz.

Looks like they're doing the same thing with the Zero. But we'll see once it's released.
    The new Arc Blast is 21 oz and the Haul is 24 oz. My old-style Blast with hip belt and shoulder pockets is 17.9 oz (52l, m/m size)

It seems kind of big to do either the AT or PCT. Maybe if they had a smaller version of their small, it would be good. Trim down some of the extra space and give hikers a lighter pack in the 2 or 3 oz instead of 4 oz. If they are advertising it for the ounce counters, well it should be sized for an AT or PCT thru-hike. I haven't done the CDT yet, so it might be the right size for hikers who need to carry a lot water.

Just my two cents.

Wolf

The Zero hasn't been a 'zero' for quite some time!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    It seems kind of big to do either the AT or PCT. Maybe if they had a smaller version of their small, it would be good. Trim down some of the extra space and give hikers a lighter pack in the 2 or 3 oz instead of 4 oz. If they are advertising it for the ounce counters, well it should be sized for an AT or PCT thru-hike. I haven't done the CDT yet, so it might be the right size for hikers who need to carry a lot water.

Just my two cents.

Wolf
    What size would you be interested in wolf? Something in the 25L range?

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    What size would you be interested in wolf? Something in the 25L range?

Well when I thru-hiked the Colorado Trail in 2015, I used a Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil 20L (2.4oz). 25L would work too. It would let me play a little bit more.

Wolf

Journal Entries

Ick.........

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Ick.........
    Not my cuppa joe, either, but it seems a little early to pronounce it ick.

It can't be that much different from my older one and I like it... sometimes it's the best choice for certain trips. Certainly capable of week-long trips in milder weather, with no bear can (which is rarely required where I do most of my hiking...)

It may turn out to be a decent pack, but it clearly needs a new name. They've destroyed the entire concept of a 'Zero' pack by going down this path.

Images

My first thoughts are tentative, but kinda neutral-positive... I own an old Zero at 9.5 ounces with my options, so this is 3 more ounces but includes side pockets (which I wish I had), and that little foam pad could be left off to save maybe an ounce, and looks like the top closure is better. I bet those load lifters (which my zero has) are only a few grams. given the other gear I have, I have faith in the zpacks team!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Not my cuppa joe, either, but it seems a little early to pronounce it ick.

It can't be that much different from my older one and I like it... sometimes it's the best choice for certain trips. Certainly capable of week-long trips in milder weather, with no bear can (which is rarely required where I do most of my hiking...)

Adjustable torso length straps and load lifters on whats billed as a minimalist pack...

Its not only about weight..its about simplicity. It looks busy, gadgety, and oriented toward non-serious UL hikers.

Extra wt...so they can only make 1 size.

Ick...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

Its not only about weight..its about simplicity. It looks busy, gadgety, and oriented toward non-serious UL hikers.
    Or perhaps oriented towards UL hikers who have evolved a bit past the older totally-unnecessary-complete-minimalist mind set that actually does sacrifice some worthwhile conveniences for a few grams that aren't noticeable at UL baseweights. the only thing that looks too gadgety to me is that back pad/strap thing, not sure what that's about.

My frustration is that the Zero concept was built around a total no-frills pack that could be built to order for each user's needs. I don't want/use side mesh pockets. Just one more thing to snag on tree branches. The Zero gave me the opportunity to skip those and save a few bucks. Want a roll top vs drawstring closure? Just check the appropriate box and it's built to order. This version seems to eliminate that ability, so the entire concept is out the window and it's time for a new name. At one point the decision between the Zero and the MLD Burn was easy because I got precisely what I wanted to choose in the Zero. Now I can't do that, and Ron's making the Core which is stripped down to the fundamentals and (IMO) is a less expensive and better manufactured option.

Default New Zpacks Zero

Users experienced with minimalist packs, do you carry your water on a fuel belt to keep the shoulder load light and comfortable?
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++