WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone gone from a hammock to a tent?

I have hammock camped for the last 4 straight years. I'll be honest, I didn't sleep well. I felt like I was a really light sleeper in it. This year I was going to try an air pad and a tent. I hot a static v lux. I used it twice with good results but last weekend it sucked. I'd wake up every hour or two and roll over. Maybe it was a bad night. Overall, I can see the pros and cons to both. In the tent, I really enjoyed the privacy and the ability to adjust how much of the elements you were exposed to. The hammock seems easier to find a place to set up. For lounging and reading, the hammock is eternally comfortable. I am torn. Is there anyone out there with the same dilemma? Or has anyone been a long time hammocker and gone to a tent?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I switch between the two regularly, I can't always make up my mind so why fight it! There's some situations why I like a hammock or a tent over the other, but I finally found my most modular system that works for me. I use a hammock with a cuben tarp, that way if I want to hammock, I can; if I want to sleep on the ground I can, because a tent is basically a tarp to keep out the elements and my cuben tarp does just that. When I carry a hammock I always have a sleeping pad and ground cloth with me anyway, so for minimal weight I have a very modular system.

Long time hammocker, experienced tenter here.

My first backpacking shelter was a Hennessy Hammock setup.

I still use hammocks. But on longer backpacking trips, I found a ground setup fits my style of hiking better.

Some trips just call for different equipment.

I have actually sold all my hammocks and other shelters in preparation for a thru hike aside for one rig. And it's a ground setup.

My next hammock will probably be a diy. And it will be more for car camping imo. Something really comfy and warm with a bunch of bells and whistles. Prob weigh in a little over two pounds for the whole setup.

My thru hiking shelters weighs 14oz.

But yeah, I have gone from hammocking to tenting and in between.

I have found it IS easier for me to camp in COLD weather while under a tarp or in a tent.

Throw down a ground sheet. A thin ccf pad. A neo air xtherm. And a 0 degree mummy bag. I'm warm, cozy, and comfortable.

Never been that easy for me in a hammock in that cold of weather. Shug does it on the regular though.

I like both hammocks and ground tarping. Truth is.. I've been comfortable doing both. And I've been uncomfortable doing both.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Just switched from a hammock to tent. Haven't used it as long as you have. There are definitely pros and cons to it. It seemed I could never get everything arranged right in the hammock. I used a foam pad underneath me and it seemed it would always slide out from under me. Obviously an underquilt would have been better but I never liked the hammock good enough to get one. One thing I noticed is I would wake up sore. I think it was from the sides of the hammock around my body. Another thing I noticed with a hammock is it seems you can never find two trees just right to set it up with when you are ready to make camp. Doesn't happen when your hiking, there is always a perfect spot to make camp when you don't need to make camp!!!I just got my tent about two weeks ago so can't tell you the advantages of that. Tent seems less complicated, just set up tent, blow up air pad, get in sleeping bag and crash. Dunno. Got the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3 cuz my wife always goes with me. Less complicated to get two in a tent than two in a hammock!!lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I slept on my hew Hennessy a few times in me yard before setting off for a week long hike in Florida this winter. As a woman I didn't like the lack of privacy in the hammock. No place to get dressed or tend to personal libations. I also slept poorly on nights when using it as a hammock. My compromise was to string it up low enough to be on the ground like a tent. I carried a plastic sheet as a ground sheet and a foam air mattress.

My hammock straps failed during the Florida hike so I returned it to REI when I got home. Bought a TarpTent. It's the new one, a Merlin? Will be setting out on the Colorado trail in a few weeks so we will see....

I go both ways (hammock versus tent, that is) and like them equally well. What I have gravitated to is using a tent in the shoulder seasons and a hammock during the summer, where the hammock sleeps a much cooler. I sleep about the same in both, which is not that well. Then again, I don't sleep well at home, either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lots of things can affect how well you sleep. Rain and wind keep me up, or wake me up periodically. Or if it's a little too cold for my set up. I toss and turn during the night as a matter of course anyway - no matter where I sleep. Which drives me crazy in a hammock, since that's hard to do.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

I will take my hammock tarp a hammock gear hex I also have a grizzbeak so can put doors on one end and pitch the other low, basically looks like a protrail and a bivy if the place requires it. The grand canyon for example I perfer my hammock. I have conditioned my self to sleeping on the floor on my xlite. I started getting back issues after about 4 months. Went to the hammock and it has been great so far. I will not sleep poorly on the AT.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

I started out in a tent, switched to a hammock, and am in the process of switching back. Got my first overnight without the hammock in a while coming up, so I'll see how I do.
    I love my hammock. Comes in at 13 oz with suspension, and is 11 feet, so it gives me a lot of comfort (I am 6'2, so I need a long one). I take it with me all the time when I go hiking. Takes about two minutes to set up, and is extremely comfortable in short periods of time. However, I'm a stomach sleeper, so I just couldn't fall asleep in a hammock. It's a great thing to have and take with you on overnights or day hikes, maybe even week-long trips like the Wonderland Trail, but for stomach sleepers like me, hammocks just don't really work out.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I can see the allure of the hammock. Easier to find campsites, less weight. But I tried one at Trail Days and there is no way I could sleep in one. I toss and turn too much, and cannot sleep on my back. So I have to put it in the category (for me) of being one of those ideas that sound great on paper but don't work in real life. YMMV.

Switched over to a nice hammock setup back several years. I toss and turn a lot when I sleep, so the hammock didn't work for me. Plus the set up was always so finicky. Loved the ability to sleep wherever there were two trees. I have gone back to the ground in a conventional double-wall one person tent and am very happy.

Yeah die hard hammock hangers tend to never talk about any negatives associated with hammock hanging. Don't get me wrong, I like hammocks, but there have been nights I wish I was on the ground.

On a night when I'm restless and can't sleep. Body can't relax, tossing and turning. I feel more uncomfortable in a hammock than on the ground on those nights. I can't stretch out in the hammock like on the ground. Sometimes it feels confining because you pretty much have to sleep in one position.

And, all though I'm not a regular shelter dweller. On trails with shelters. I have been dissapointed a night or two I couldn't just throw down in the shelter cause I didn't have my ground pad.

I'm too much of a gram weenie to carry both. And haven't figured out the pad in a the hammock thing. I like underquilts.

I will say, I always smile when I wake up in my hammock and it's pouring out though. High and dry is one of the biggest positives of hammock hanging.

Cold wind can be tougher to deal with though.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I switched back and forth for a few years but mostly staying in hammock. Last fall I did the foothills trail in a tent and wished I were hanging. For me it a quality of sleep issue - I sleep like a rock and seldom get up in hammock but on a pad I can toss and turn.
    My hammock set up include a synthetic under quilt and 3/4 z-rest and a wing extender type device which I have had down into the mid 20's. The set up is a little heavier than it could be nut I think it is a best of both worlds in that if I want to be on the ground or in a shelter I have it covered.

One issue I found with Hammocks is versatility. You either hang or.... you hang... meaning, unless you actually use a pad in your hammock, which is certainly, IMO, no where near as efficient or effective as an under quilt, you can not go to ground comfortably. Also, in GSMNP, correct me if I am wrong but there are many areas that you are not allowed to hang and other areas where you are required to use 2" straps to protect trees. With a hammock, you will still need your sleeping bag (quilt), pad or UQ, tarp, hammock, bug net, cordage, etc.
    I tried the pad as a base in a hammock and didn't like it. I know some use it but it wasn't for me. Therefore, I would need another option if I ever used a shelter on the AT while using a hammock. Just a few random thoughts....

I switched over to hammocks years ago and would not go back. However, I have put off the Smokies due to the park rules and am considering buying a one man tent to use when I do the Smokies, which will start this summer. My understanding if the shelter is full, you can tent camp around the shelter. I would rather sleep off to myself.

I sleep in hammocks, exclusively so far. I am considering ground options, because there are some places you can't hang that i want to experience, like GSMNP along the AT, and the floor of the Grand Canyon.

I spent six years in the Marine Corps as an infantryman so I know what it's like to sleep on the ground.

I would never willingly sleep on the ground given an option, but do recognize that hammocks aren't for everyone. Each individual has to decide which option works best for them.

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    I sleep in hammocks, exclusively so far. I am considering ground options, because there are some places you can't hang that i want to experience, like GSMNP along the AT, ....
    Sure about that? I thought that, although you are required to stay in shelters, if they're full, you can tent outside - and for purposes of this rule, a hammock is treated as a tent. Thus, the strategy for those wanting to avoid having to stay in the shelter is to arrive too late to find a space in it. May not work in winter - but by now, maybe it would.

You can't hang your suspension on the shelter, but you can set up your hammock in the vicinity (as you would a tent).

That's my understanding. It could be wrong.

BTW, put me down for probably going back to tenting over hammocking. I want it to work, because I like being off the rocky, rooty, muddy ground, but I just haven't slept as well as in a tent. Still trying, but not sure for how much longer. Not being a back-sleeper makes it tough.

I started out in a tent. I switched to a hammock and loved it. My first hammock was a Hennessy. I'm a side sleeper and found I could easily find a good fetal position in the hammock. I also have an Eno single-nest but am not thrilled with it--too short and too narrow. I am looking for a double-layer Warbonnet Blackbird to give me the option of using a pad instead of an underquilt. I have an Aerie 20 degree sleep system, and with my EE top quilt have been very comfortable through the winter. I don't expect to ever go back to tents.

LOL... definitely not a constructive conversation at Hammock Forums.

I have gotten into hammocks very heavily(literally)... but from this side of the conversation (LD backpacking, weight considerations, functionality and going to ground).
    That said... I have come to appreciate the very diverse makeup of the Hammock crowd and it's helped with my designs overall. More importantly... it's been very refreshing to talk with Scout Dads, Hunters, fisherman, or just plain old outdoor users who simply are happy getting out and having a trip. I really love going to the local group hang. It's a whopping 3 mile walk in and we worry more about what food, whiskey and scotch will be there than who brought what gear or how. It's nice.

Anywho...

I had/have the same issues most of you had:

There ARE times you would want to go to ground for LD hiking... sleeping in a shelter, staying on a bald, scoring a free town stop on somebodies porch, sleeping under a table at an AMC hut or just flat out cowboy camping in a beautiful spot. Yes you could work around any and all of these... but like most hikers, I like to stay flexible and open to adventure and opportunity. It can be nice to never know where you will end up.

Weight (and bulk) does matter... though sparing a pound for comfort is reasonable, especially considering advances in the rest of our gear. And like many I found that my 1/8" torso light pad scraps I used in my 20's gave way to 12-16oz air pads to sleep on the ground. And I don't care how much you want to argue it... a poly cro ground sheet, tarp, foam pad and quilt is still the lightest thing you can take. But once you have based your system around a 1lb air pad... that changes your outlook a bit.

Winter... hanging a hammock in winter is more a novelty than practical in my experience... if we left the ground to be comfy... well when there is plenty of comfy snow to sleep on and perfectly good pads we already own to insulate us perfectly well... At some point deep winter hanging feels more like a badge of honor or proof of concept than a viable plan. If you need to add a pulk to your system just to carry all your sleeping gear...

Pads... Pads do suck in a gathered end hammock. They suck less in a double layer. They pretty much don't suck at all in a bridge. Underquilts are amazing... especially in a gathered end. But they sure make about the crappiest sleeping pad I've ever seen... That said when i was testing my fancy new winter pod at the Harriman hang a few winters back... I was forced to go to ground... and i slept on a 20x20x10" tapered zrest sit pad and my pack and slept in a ball quite nice and warm... so it's not impossible to ground out with an UQ... just silly. However... LD hikers are used to sleeping on a pad. A pad you can lay on without any uneven ground, pressure, or things sticking into you or crawling on you... well that's a pretty good improvement. So I think the pad issue tends to be overblown for many backpackers. If you are a dedicated hanger, or a casual outdoor user with options- I'd take an UQ any day of the week. But for LD hiking where you might not just desire a pad, but need one then a pad in a hammock is more comfy than a pad on the ground. And you can use "less" pad than you might need to be anywhere close to as comfy on the ground so there is some weight to be saved there. I have an M10 hammock that weighs roughly 6 ounces "tree to tree" I can hang that with a 1/8" thinlight pad in it and still end up at less weight than my Large neo-air. I wouldn't do a thru with that rig but the point is that there are some times that a hammock can actually be lighter if you're talking a fast and light weekend.

Sleep positions... My back is messed up, I have a torn rotor cuff at the moment and I can't sleep for more than an hour or so in anything without rolling over, that includes a memory foam mattress. Fortunately years of camping out have accustomed me to falling right back to sleep if i even wake up in the first place. I can sleep in a ball (fetal) or side in a gathered end... so wouldn't call that a deal breaker, though much more than a weekend and I'm done with a GE. But I can sleep in any position I want in a bridge. I think GE hammocks can work for folks... I think you should start there. But if you do and it's not quite working out for you. A bridge is like a floating cot- though not all bridges are created equal or readily available.

Fiddling... when a gathered end is working just right, and all the parts and pieces are hung just so and your last micro adjustment complete there is nothing more comfortable. When it's the end of the day and you hiked 20 miles and want to throw your pad down and pass out... nothing worse than a fiddly hammock. I found bridge hammocks (specifically recessed bar bridges) to be the middle ground. They are way more forgiving of pitch mistakes or errors and go up pretty reliably and consistently. So even when you blow the pitch because you're on a hill, or tired, or don't care... they hang just shy of perfect with little work. A half ass gathered end pitch and no matter how tired I was it seemed after the nap monster had been slain I would get up and finish hanging it right at midnight. Not so with a bridge.

Tent feel... A tent is a portable house, a room with walls, a roof, and a floor. That's nice. While you can start piling on the accessories and complicating the pitch with hammocks and doors, and floors, and beaks, and pole mods- you're not going to beat the simplicity and ease of a freestanding tent. Cuts the wind, the bugs, the rain. You can sit up, sort gear, you name it. You can cook food in the vestibule. You can have sex in a tent. You can share it with a partner, or play a game of cards with your kiddo. Nobody is getting in and out without the "ZZZRRRUPPP" of the zipper waking you up. There is still plenty good to say about tents. I think the only reason to abandon one (if you like it) is if you are not sleeping well on the ground. I don't think one has to do with the other... though there are several hikers (female especially) who value the privacy and security of a tent over the sleep factors. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So long story short...
    I don't think this is as cut and dry an issue as some make it.
    Much like LD hikers can focus on weight to their detriment... hammock folks can focus too much on comfort. We each have our soapbox but I think there is some very solid middle ground.
    If you take a variety of trip types- you'll likely use a variety of gear... no magic bullet here. But I find that a bridge is a pretty solid hammock option that works well with a pad and fits better than most options for LD hiking style trips. It's not a piece of gear that is highly used or familiar for either user base.

I have been working with some hammock forums folks though who were "done" with camping because of sleep issues. That blows. I was in scouts and I am talking to guys trying to get involved or go with the kids who struggle for that reason... reminds me of some of the dad's who didn't participate in the camping trips when I was a kid. So if at any point any piece of gear or lack of gear is stopping you from going- it becomes the most critical piece of gear IMO. I think that's what many of the hammock zealots are trying to get across to some of us UL folks. There are people who literally had their lives changed switching to a hammock... that's pretty cool.

I hadn't planned on it, but the last few months I adapted some of my UL bridge designs (i have the lightest bridge hammock in the world) for big guys. They are still in testing but i have a dozen folks, some as big as 360lbs and 6'6" tall testing these. In this bridge I can sleep in any position, even belly sleeping. It was originally designed to use with my 6 year old and a Exped Hyperlight Duo Pad that works perfect for us. And works out lighter than carrying two pads and two quilts coincidentally. I basically built the bridge to hold the pad... but then I reached out to some of these "Big Boys" who either stopped camping or relegated themselves to car camping and tried to see if we could figure something out for them. (Bridge hammocks stop at 200-250lbs).

This product isn't available for sale beyond a few prototypes... and not trying to sell anybody here on it. Just showing it as an idea and concept of what is possible with hammocks. While many hammock users do back pack, and hammocks are on the LD trails more often... it's still a pretty new deal and there isn't a lot of focus or innovation on "alternative" designs IMO. I think there is much that could be done with hammocks and pads... And i don't mean laying your hammock on the ground and putting a rainfly on it... I mean a whole new shelter system built around a few base models of bridge type hammocks that work with, not against, a traditional sleeping pad.

To give you an idea- I do have some "UL" versions of the luxury bridge at 1lb 9 ounces. My first full coverage bug nets are coming in at 8.5 ounces, and my first full coverage rain fly at 16 ounces. You'd need your pad/quilt to finish that system but it's not insane and even compares favorably to the weight and bulk of some tents folks use solo.
    But on the flipside... my micro bridge is under 10 ounces (9.125). Wear a headnet, add a 6-8 ounce poncho tarp, put in a 3/4 length wide air pad at 12 ounces and a SUL top quilt at 12 oz and you have a very versatile ground and air system with insulation at well under 3 pounds. In fact we are getting closer to the 2lb mark for that system all in... that's pretty cool and approaching the lightest ground systems available if you swap out a thin light pad for an air pad... but you can balance your system depending on how often you feel you may go to ground with your pad choices.

Here's the folder of photos and such that I have been sharing with my test group on the Big Guy/Luxury bridge.
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apygyt54yYPwg4tUiQQ-mi9wtMxgFQ

I don't show off the micro bridge.

Sorry for the rant... guess I missed talking to backpackers about hammocks as opposed to hammockers about backpacking, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    LOL... definitely not a constructive conversation at Hammock Forums.

I have gotten into hammocks very heavily(literally)... but from this side of the conversation (LD backpacking, weight considerations, functionality and going to ground).
    That said... I have come to appreciate the very diverse makeup of the Hammock crowd and it's helped with my designs overall. More importantly... it's been very refreshing to talk with Scout Dads, Hunters, fisherman, or just plain old outdoor users who simply are happy getting out and having a trip. I really love going to the local group hang. It's a whopping 3 mile walk in and we worry more about what food, whiskey and scotch will be there than who brought what gear or how. It's nice.

Anywho...

I had/have the same issues most of you had:

There ARE times you would want to go to ground for LD hiking... sleeping in a shelter, staying on a bald, scoring a free town stop on somebodies porch, sleeping under a table at an AMC hut or just flat out cowboy camping in a beautiful spot. Yes you could work around any and all of these... but like most hikers, I like to stay flexible and open to adventure and opportunity. It can be nice to never know where you will end up.

Weight (and bulk) does matter... though sparing a pound for comfort is reasonable, especially considering advances in the rest of our gear. And like many I found that my 1/8" torso light pad scraps I used in my 20's gave way to 12-16oz air pads to sleep on the ground. And I don't care how much you want to argue it... a poly cro ground sheet, tarp, foam pad and quilt is still the lightest thing you can take. But once you have based your system around a 1lb air pad... that changes your outlook a bit.

Winter... hanging a hammock in winter is more a novelty than practical in my experience... if we left the ground to be comfy... well when there is plenty of comfy snow to sleep on and perfectly good pads we already own to insulate us perfectly well... At some point deep winter hanging feels more like a badge of honor or proof of concept than a viable plan. If you need to add a pulk to your system just to carry all your sleeping gear...

Pads... Pads do suck in a gathered end hammock. They suck less in a double layer. They pretty much don't suck at all in a bridge. Underquilts are amazing... especially in a gathered end. But they sure make about the crappiest sleeping pad I've ever seen... That said when i was testing my fancy new winter pod at the Harriman hang a few winters back... I was forced to go to ground... and i slept on a 20x20x10" tapered zrest sit pad and my pack and slept in a ball quite nice and warm... so it's not impossible to ground out with an UQ... just silly. However... LD hikers are used to sleeping on a pad. A pad you can lay on without any uneven ground, pressure, or things sticking into you or crawling on you... well that's a pretty good improvement. So I think the pad issue tends to be overblown for many backpackers. If you are a dedicated hanger, or a casual outdoor user with options- I'd take an UQ any day of the week. But for LD hiking where you might not just desire a pad, but need one then a pad in a hammock is more comfy than a pad on the ground. And you can use "less" pad than you might need to be anywhere close to as comfy on the ground so there is some weight to be saved there. I have an M10 hammock that weighs roughly 6 ounces "tree to tree" I can hang that with a 1/8" thinlight pad in it and still end up at less weight than my Large neo-air. I wouldn't do a thru with that rig but the point is that there are some times that a hammock can actually be lighter if you're talking a fast and light weekend.

Sleep positions... My back is messed up, I have a torn rotor cuff at the moment and I can't sleep for more than an hour or so in anything without rolling over, that includes a memory foam mattress. Fortunately years of camping out have accustomed me to falling right back to sleep if i even wake up in the first place. I can sleep in a ball (fetal) or side in a gathered end... so wouldn't call that a deal breaker, though much more than a weekend and I'm done with a GE. But I can sleep in any position I want in a bridge. I think GE hammocks can work for folks... I think you should start there. But if you do and it's not quite working out for you. A bridge is like a floating cot- though not all bridges are created equal or readily available.

Fiddling... when a gathered end is working just right, and all the parts and pieces are hung just so and your last micro adjustment complete there is nothing more comfortable. When it's the end of the day and you hiked 20 miles and want to throw your pad down and pass out... nothing worse than a fiddly hammock. I found bridge hammocks (specifically recessed bar bridges) to be the middle ground. They are way more forgiving of pitch mistakes or errors and go up pretty reliably and consistently. So even when you blow the pitch because you're on a hill, or tired, or don't care... they hang just shy of perfect with little work. A half ass gathered end pitch and no matter how tired I was it seemed after the nap monster had been slain I would get up and finish hanging it right at midnight. Not so with a bridge.

Tent feel... A tent is a portable house, a room with walls, a roof, and a floor. That's nice. While you can start piling on the accessories and complicating the pitch with hammocks and doors, and floors, and beaks, and pole mods- you're not going to beat the simplicity and ease of a freestanding tent. Cuts the wind, the bugs, the rain. You can sit up, sort gear, you name it. You can cook food in the vestibule. You can have sex in a tent. You can share it with a partner, or play a game of cards with your kiddo. Nobody is getting in and out without the "ZZZRRRUPPP" of the zipper waking you up. There is still plenty good to say about tents. I think the only reason to abandon one (if you like it) is if you are not sleeping well on the ground. I don't think one has to do with the other... though there are several hikers (female especially) who value the privacy and security of a tent over the sleep factors. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So long story short...
    I don't think this is as cut and dry an issue as some make it.
    Much like LD hikers can focus on weight to their detriment... hammock folks can focus too much on comfort. We each have our soapbox but I think there is some very solid middle ground.
    If you take a variety of trip types- you'll likely use a variety of gear... no magic bullet here. But I find that a bridge is a pretty solid hammock option that works well with a pad and fits better than most options for LD hiking style trips. It's not a piece of gear that is highly used or familiar for either user base.

I have been working with some hammock forums folks though who were "done" with camping because of sleep issues. That blows. I was in scouts and I am talking to guys trying to get involved or go with the kids who struggle for that reason... reminds me of some of the dad's who didn't participate in the camping trips when I was a kid. So if at any point any piece of gear or lack of gear is stopping you from going- it becomes the most critical piece of gear IMO. I think that's what many of the hammock zealots are trying to get across to some of us UL folks. There are people who literally had their lives changed switching to a hammock... that's pretty cool.

I hadn't planned on it, but the last few months I adapted some of my UL bridge designs (i have the lightest bridge hammock in the world) for big guys. They are still in testing but i have a dozen folks, some as big as 360lbs and 6'6" tall testing these. In this bridge I can sleep in any position, even belly sleeping. It was originally designed to use with my 6 year old and a Exped Hyperlight Duo Pad that works perfect for us. And works out lighter than carrying two pads and two quilts coincidentally. I basically built the bridge to hold the pad... but then I reached out to some of these "Big Boys" who either stopped camping or relegated themselves to car camping and tried to see if we could figure something out for them. (Bridge hammocks stop at 200-250lbs).

This product isn't available for sale beyond a few prototypes... and not trying to sell anybody here on it. Just showing it as an idea and concept of what is possible with hammocks. While many hammock users do back pack, and hammocks are on the LD trails more often... it's still a pretty new deal and there isn't a lot of focus or innovation on "alternative" designs IMO. I think there is much that could be done with hammocks and pads... And i don't mean laying your hammock on the ground and putting a rainfly on it... I mean a whole new shelter system built around a few base models of bridge type hammocks that work with, not against, a traditional sleeping pad.

To give you an idea- I do have some "UL" versions of the luxury bridge at 1lb 9 ounces. My first full coverage bug nets are coming in at 8.5 ounces, and my first full coverage rain fly at 16 ounces. You'd need your pad/quilt to finish that system but it's not insane and even compares favorably to the weight and bulk of some tents folks use solo.
    But on the flipside... my micro bridge is under 10 ounces (9.125). Wear a headnet, add a 6-8 ounce poncho tarp, put in a 3/4 length wide air pad at 12 ounces and a SUL top quilt at 12 oz and you have a very versatile ground and air system with insulation at well under 3 pounds. In fact we are getting closer to the 2lb mark for that system all in... that's pretty cool and approaching the lightest ground systems available if you swap out a thin light pad for an air pad... but you can balance your system depending on how often you feel you may go to ground with your pad choices.

Here's the folder of photos and such that I have been sharing with my test group on the Big Guy/Luxury bridge.
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apygyt54yYPwg4tUiQQ-mi9wtMxgFQ

I don't show off the micro bridge.

Sorry for the rant... guess I missed talking to backpackers about hammocks as opposed to hammockers about backpacking, lol.
    The folks on Hammock Forums are pretty closed minded. If you make a suggestion that you should go to ground, (like, where can I hang my hammock above tree line?), they jump right in your chili.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++