WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Stayed there for our 2014 attempt, awfully nice people, wish them all the best for their next endeavor!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Images

Yes one of the best deals you can find. I can only imagine the beating their vehicles take on the forest service roads to Springer every day.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Yes one of the best deals you can find. I can only imagine the beating their vehicles take on the forest service roads to Springer every day.
    I can say, it was the closest Ive ever been to being on an amusement park ride, without being on an amusement park ride.

I was last stop going to amicalola. Being last....I sat in the back of suburban. I was so carsick I went into bathrooms and sat down for 30 min or so. I KNOW to take dramamine before these rides, and I had forgot it. I usually keep it in my FAK because it makes mountain car rides much better as a passenger.

I cant imagine brakes or shocks last long. Not sure they had much of either...
    Just kidding they had brakes.
    they definitely could have used some new shocks though.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-29-2017 at 20:52.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I can say, it was the closest Ive ever been to being on an amusement park ride, without being on an amusement park ride.

I was last stop going to amicalola. Being last....I sat in the back of suburban. I was so carsick I went into bathrooms and sat down for 30 min or so. I KNOW to take dramamine before these rides, and I had forgot it. I usually keep it in my FAK because it makes mountain car rides much better as a passenger.

I cant imagine brakes or shocks last long. Not sure they had much of either...
    Just kidding they had brakes.
    they definitely could have used some new shocks though.
    Now that y'all mentioned it...holy ship that was a white knuckle ride back seat of Wes Wissen's old jeep up springer....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Default Meet the new boss

Images

And this press release on the Hiker Hostel acquisition http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170315006511/en

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Now that y'all mentioned it...holy ship that was a white knuckle ride back seat of Wes Wissen's old jeep up springer....

Really? If there are two things I've learned from this thread: folks sure have different perceptions on what a "ridiculously low price" is, and folks back east sure have a different perception on what a "rough" road is. Move that (excellent quality) dirt road up Springer out west and it would probably be in the top 20% of forest roads in terms of high quality and ease of driving. Seriously!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post

Hmmmmmm......seems incongruent

It looks like this Barefoot Luxury company is just getting off the ground. If I understand correctly they just acquired their first property in January. I'm surprised they haven't already rebranded the hostel as the "Barefoot Hiker Hostel." I suppose, though, that the name might confuse people into thinking it was only for people who planned to hike barefoot.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Images

Either way they have the venture capital which typically means private investors/owners looking to maximize profits, or a high debt load, or both. None of which generally leads to great deals from a consumer standpoint. Perhaps they'll be an exception. I'd say give them the benefit of the doubt. Time will tell.

Journal Entries

Im not real optimistic
    I seen many things I liked destroyed by new owners
    Not talking about immediate, but 5 yrs from now

They can do 3 things:
    Make it better
    Make it worse
    Leave it alone

New owners rarely leave things alone for long

And theres no way I can see to make it better at what it currently is.

Process of elimination

Hope Im wrong. But if not, someone else will step up to fill need for hikers on the cheap heading to springer. Theres a need.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-30-2017 at 11:35.

A pessimist is an experienced optimist

Images

I did smile at their new website for the Hiker Hostel, that it's geared toward "upscale hikers." Like, really, are there any other kinds?
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I wish Josh and Leigh the best.

Josh was such a josher.... We shipped him our packs and when we arrived he said he never got them..to our aghast. Then after watching our response he smiled and said 'they're over there'.

He might have been tired of the drive to Springer, on the weavy FS road. He drove it so fast that one young thru hiker screamed 'pull over', then vomited.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post

He might have been tired of the drive to Springer, on the weavy FS road. He drove it so fast that one young thru hiker screamed 'pull over', then vomited.
    40-50 mph,dips,bumps,curves...
    It wasball i could do not too
    Didnt think id make it honestly..

Just spoke with Leigh because I wanted to ensure I had no issues with my reservation. Checked out the new website too.

Found this interesting (yet not very hiker friendly)

Must be 21 years old to reserve an accommodation
    Deposits: A deposit of 50% of the total cost of the group is due ninety (90) days prior to arrival. If your arrival date is fewer than 90 days away, we require this 50% deposit within 5 business days of the booking. Sixty (60) days prior to arrival, the remaining balance is required. If the fore mentioned deposits are not received within the time frame stated, the hold on the rooms will be released.
    I'm a planner and even I wasn't able to set my reservation that far in advance!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Just spoke with Leigh because I wanted to ensure I had no issues with my reservation. Checked out the new website too.

Found this interesting (yet not very hiker friendly)

I'm a planner and even I wasn't able to set my reservation that far in advance!
    And just to be clear - that looks like that is going to be new policy going forward.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

3 months interest on 50% of cost - let the games begin!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    3 months interest on 50% of cost - let the games begin!
    Not so much the interest. That's minor. It's the paying in full by 60 days which equals running +60 days on cash flow. That's a business---person's dream. What is their cancellation policy regarding deposits, pre-payments, and last minute changes and cancellations one wonders? What are the timelines for full and partial refunds? That kind of stuff can dissuade many people from booking.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Not so much the interest. That's minor. It's the paying in full by 60 days which equals running +60 days on cash flow. That's a business---person's dream. What is their cancellation policy regarding deposits, pre-payments, and last minute changes and cancellations one wonders? What are the timelines for full and partial refunds? That kind of stuff can dissuade many people from booking.

There is no hotel that has this strict a policy. I just made a reservation for our anniversary and I can cancel "day of" and still get a full refund!

Cancellations: Cancellations made 60 days or more prior to arrival are entitled to a full refund; cancellations 30 to 60 days prior to arrival are entitled to a 50% refund minus the initial non-refundable deposit of $100 per person. Cancellations 30 days or fewer prior to arrival are non-refundable, non-transferable, and have no credit value. A date change to a reservation is treated as a cancellation and rebooking. Credit for the re-booking shall be given in the same terms as the refund stated above. Date changes made within 30 days of arrival will not have a credit applied to the new booking. Prices on unconfirmed reservations are subject to change at any time without notice. We recommend that you insure against unforeseen circumstances that could necessitate partial or full cancellation of your reservation.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++