WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

I'm wondering if it's even worth listing in the guidebooks anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    So now it looks like:
    • Fly red-eye into Atlanta, carrying on your backpack so nothing gets mangled by baggage handlers.
    • Get a MARTA day pass.
    • Take MARTA to the Post Office to get the box with trekking poles & other TSA offensive items (plus maybe bulky gear you strap outside the pack) you mailed yourself.
    • Take MARTA to Walmart; buy fuel and 4 days worth of food.
    • Take MARTA to North Springs station.
    • Get a shuttle from North Springs to Amicalola Falls State Park.
    • Start hiking.

That about right?
    My backpack (Zpack Arc Haul) is too big to carry on, and I fear baggage handlers, so I do this. Go to Walmart and buy a $17 (and change) large duffel bag (it has wheels and folds into itself when empty!). Pack everything in there except fuel and check it in. When I get to my destination, I empty the duffel bag and do a cost analysis. If I can mail it ahead cheaply enough, I will and pick it up at the end of my section hike for the flight home. If postage costs more than a new duffle bag, I just give it to the shuttle driver who picks me up at the airport. By the way, you don't have to send everything via priority mail. The duffel bag weighs 2 lbs. and retail ground is usually cheaper than a new duffel bag.

Before I am accused of being a money bag, I'd rather spend the $17 and protect my gear from airport damage. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

I just bought an E3 Transit bag with the same idea in mind
    Think it takes 70 L
    transit-2.jpg

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    My backpack (Zpack Arc Haul) is too big to carry on, and I fear baggage handlers, so I do this. Go to Walmart and buy a $17 (and change) large duffel bag (it has wheels and folds into itself when empty!). Pack everything in there except fuel and check it in. When I get to my destination, I empty the duffel bag and do a cost analysis. If I can mail it ahead cheaply enough, I will and pick it up at the end of my section hike for the flight home. If postage costs more than a new duffle bag, I just give it to the shuttle driver who picks me up at the airport. By the way, you don't have to send everything via priority mail. The duffel bag weighs 2 lbs. and retail ground is usually cheaper than a new duffel bag.

Before I am accused of being a money bag, I'd rather spend the $17 and protect my gear from airport damage. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears.
    Browse thrift stores all yr long when in area
    $3-5
    Pick up a few

You dont need rolling duffel
    Just take frame out of pack and have it dmall enough
    Put frame rods and some gear in a small duffel
    Throw away at airport

Looks like a "Hiker Hostel - Standard Bunk" for April/March 2018 is $48.30 a night. New web site at http://www.barefootluxury.com/ (select "barefoot hills" under destinations)

Quote Originally Posted by tunnelbear View Post
    Looks like a "Hiker Hostel - Standard Bunk" for April/March 2018 is $48.30 a night. New web site at http://www.barefootluxury.com/ (select "barefoot hills" under destinations)
    You can go straight to www.barefoothills.com. They still have the bunks "Hiker Hostel". Maybe its two different properties now?

Journal Entries

Did anyone notice on the website they have a picture of a boundary marker instead of a trail marker for the trail?
    Blackheart

From 2001 to 2004 I did hikes starting in March from either Amicalola or Springer. Never stayed at the Hiker Hostel, mainly because it wasn't open or not in the guides during that time period. Never had trouble planning or coordinating getting to the start of the trail from either Amicalola or USFS 42 without the availability of the Hiker Hostel. Didn't have the convenience of Uber or digital phone service either. During this same period of time I stayed 4 years in a row at Rainbow Springs Campground, 2 years under the old owners and 2 years under the new owners. I daresay many of you have never heard of Rainbow Springs Campground or know of its location. It was always packed with hikers during the peak season. But now it's gone and no one misses it, except for maybe me. Jensine was a hoot! Hostels open and close and you just adapt--or go home. If you think the new Hiker Hostel charges too much just don't go there. If you're starting out a thru-hike or section hike at Springer and need to be picked up after 1 or 2 days of hiking because of weather you should seriously consider going home.
    Just to let you know I have stayed with Josh and Leigh several times over the years and consider them friends. I can understand why they sold their property and wish them the best. The new owners can do whatever they please, and charge whatever they please with the property. Whether I stay there again is up to me not them.

Curious on others thoughts...is there an opportunity for another "hiker hostel" that services the budget minded Starting a Thru? I.e. Airport package.....curious as to how many folks used this service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There are several drivers who provide shuttles. But if 50 people a day are showing up, someone should buy a bus and start a service.
    Is that a realistic number?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Browse thrift stores all yr long when in area
    $3-5
    Pick up a few

You dont need rolling duffel
    Just take frame out of pack and have it dmall enough
    Put frame rods and some gear in a small duffel
    Throw away at airport
    You know, I'm embarrassed. It never occurred to me to check a thrift store for a duffle bag. Thanks for the tip.

Btw, you're right. I don't need a rolling duffle bag. It just so happens the cheapest one at Walmart has them.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Curious on others thoughts...is there an opportunity for another "hiker hostel" that services the budget minded Starting a Thru? I.e. Airport package.....curious as to how many folks used this service.
    When I was there at the beginning of my hike in early April last year, they were turning people away right and left because they were full. IMHO they faced a pure economic problem. Their fees were too low. Had they increased prices somewhat to cut demand, at least in high season, they would have made a lot more money and maybe they'd still own the property.

That's a lesson for anyone who tries to take up the slack now that HH is gone. I really believe there is a need in the market.

Send me a PM if you need an investor
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Curious on others thoughts...is there an opportunity for another "hiker hostel" that services the budget minded Starting a Thru? I.e. Airport package.....curious as to how many folks used this service?
    The problem is property prices are through the roof in that area with the demand from people fleeing Atlanta. It would only work for someone who already owns something suitable they bought 20-30 years ago and is mostly or all paid off.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

a hostel is not needed near the southern terminus. the AT was fine before any hostels

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    When I was there at the beginning of my hike in early April last year, they were turning people away right and left because they were full. IMHO they faced a pure economic problem. Their fees were too low. Had they increased prices somewhat to cut demand, at least in high season, they would have made a lot more money and maybe they'd still own the property.

That's a lesson for anyone who tries to take up the slack now that HH is gone. I really believe there is a need in the market.

Send me a PM if you need an investor
    From what I gathered they were ready to travel and kind of worn out....similar to WP at mountain crossings....

SLO yea I didn't think about the Atl influence on values in the area. Maybe I'll buy a short bus this winter and do lil shuttling....

-

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    a hostel is not needed near the southern terminus. the AT was fine before any hostels
    the way I see it, a gathering point is needed for efficient mass shuttling - the "hostel" is just the cheapest venue to provide said gathering point,

while you have it why not do slack packing - so many drop out at the beginning and want shuttles from the road crossings any way, either way this is when there are the most customers and they usually still have money

- LW the "need" for a service does not necessarily determine the practicality of a business - you do shuttling, no hiker "needs" a shuttle, they can walk

Journal Entries

Yes
    But the convenience of a one-stop, well priced service for atlanta pickup, clean lodging, breakfast, and shuttle to trail was very popular.

a person drives from ohio to damascus. person wants to walk from erwin to damascus back to car. person needs a shuttle to erwin. what don't i get, george?

In the immortal words of Steve Jobs, “A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them.” Forbes article
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."

-

a person drives from ohio to damascus. person wants to walk from erwin to damascus back to car. person needs a shuttle to erwin. what don't i get, george?
    a person flies into Atlanta, gets in late, needs a place to organize, rest and get to the trailhead - hence the springer area hostel
    can this person get uber directly to amicola, organize in the bathroom and start hiking - yeah I do and likely you too

but your section hiker from Ohio can walk/ hitch back to the car or plan around public transport also

what you do not get is that they are on vacation - desire, not need is driving both business opportunities

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++