WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Journal Entries

It reminds me of the hotels that advertise themselves as "pet friendly " but then charge 75- 150 dollars for a pet for 1 night .

Truth is, they ...do...not...want...your...pet.

I'm waiting for the travel agency to book me into the Amicalola Lodge. Hope it's not full in late February.

I posted similar thiughts on another thread. Comparing this new place to a totally different concept that once shared the same ground is pointless.
    That would be like comparing an Applebees to the mom and pop coffee shop that previously rented the space.

Hiker Hostel is dead and gone, and quite obvious that it wasn't as lucrative as all believed- hence J&L wouldn't have sold it. This Barefoot Hills place should be compared to the nearby bed and breakfasts that are all in this price range- like it or not.

I do think the Barefoot Hills folks have added a nice touch by supporting the ATC with donations. They obviously care somewhat about the community otherwise they'd just keep it all to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    They just posted their "thru hiker package" on Facebook and it goes for $200 and no longer includes pickup at the Gainesville Amtrak. That's $120 more than what Josh and Leigh charged. I think the important thing to remember, as mentioned above, is this is no longer a hostel but a boutique hotel.

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    they are out there sacrificing a part of their very life to the trail.
    Sacrificing is what the trail and shelter maintainers do. Hikers are enjoying the fruit of our labours (that we do not get remuneration!)
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

In the end the market will decide for them. It's not likely they will get a lot of AT traffic, at least not from thru's. So they will have to focus on the traditional tourist. I think the confusion with the previous business will probably hurt them in the short-run until it becomes more obvious this isn't the same place and that it's not necessarily targeting the same customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    In the end the market will decide for them. It's not likely they will get a lot of AT traffic, at least not from thru's. So they will have to focus on the traditional tourist. I think the confusion with the previous business will probably hurt them in the short-run until it becomes more obvious this isn't the same place and that it's not necessarily targeting the same customer.
    If a hiker pays for a shuttle from North Springs MARTA station to Dahlonega, pays for a motel room in Dahlonega, pays for a breakfast and pays for another shuttle to Springer Mountain.....it might end up costing the $200 Barefoot Hills is charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Lybarger View Post
    If a hiker pays for a shuttle from North Springs MARTA station to Dahlonega, pays for a motel room in Dahlonega, pays for a breakfast and pays for another shuttle to Springer Mountain.....it might end up costing the $200 Barefoot Hills is charging.
    True. I think $210 it definitely a good deal if you use them to start your hike. And probably the only way it's economical.

Journal Entries

True. I think $210 it definitely a good deal if you use them to start your hike. And probably the only way it's economical.
    Not a good deal for a bunk vs your own hotel room, and shared shuttle vs private. Its competitively priced overall....but you pay premium for what you get....for the privelege of associating with others.

Id rather holiday inn express in gainesville personally, for same overall price. And be a pig at breakfast. Have private shuttle take you straight to amicalola at time you arrange.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-02-2017 at 10:44.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Not a good deal for a bunk vs your own hotel room, and shared shuttle vs private. Its competitively priced overall....but you pay premium for what you get....for the privelege of associating with others.
    True. If you were a lone hiker though you would easily spend that one those things separately. OTOH, if they were picking up say 5 people they would make out pretty good. I don't know what the previous place was charging, tbh. In the end, the market will decide. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Journal Entries

True. If you were a lone hiker though you would easily spend that one those things separately. OTOH, if they were picking up say 5 people they would make out pretty good. I don't know what the previous place was charging, tbh. In the end, the market will decide. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
    My bunk was $18 i think, my shuttle from hostel to amicalola was......$7. (prorated, many in suburban). Breakfast was good....but i could have eaten 3x as much. Probably best i didnt because suburban ride made me sick
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-02-2017 at 11:32.

I got lucky. I made reservations months ago when they were just starting to figure out the new pricing for the thru-hiker special.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11
++ New Posts ++