WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    Hiker Hostel definitely used to take walk-ins if they weren't at 100% occupancy. In '13 shortly after I left Gooch Mtn Shelter I called and spoke to Leigh and asked if there was any space available for that evening. There was and so she told me to be at Woody Gap by 5pm and I would be picked up by their evening shuttle. I actually arrived at Woody a few minutes after 3pm and their shuttle was about ready to leave the parking lot and shuttle hikers to the Hiker Hostel and Dahlonega; glad I didn't have to wait 2 hrs.
    Was not uncommon at all for people that stayed and shuttled, to discover they overestimated their abilities, call them up and get picked up and then slackpack for a few days. After a few days of rain, they did a lot of business picking wet hikers up that decided they needed to dry out. Lots of people call them from the trail.

Yes. I was one of them and they had a place for me on short notice.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Was not uncommon at all for people that stayed and shuttled, to discover they overestimated their abilities, call them up and get picked up and then slackpack for a few days. After a few days of rain, they did a lot of business picking wet hikers up that decided they needed to dry out. Lots of people call them from the trail.
    First night of freedom can seem like the first night of a long prison stay to some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMq3pebqgI4

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

If true, congratulations on a dream come true and thanks for the memories!!!!

I just stayed at HH last weekend. The place is immaculate. They were actually steam cleaning the floors when I was there. One of the new owners was there and was cordial. He was doing everything Josh and Leigh were doing. I wish them all the best as well as the direction of the HH in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I just stayed at HH last weekend. The place is immaculate. They were actually steam cleaning the floors when I was there. One of the new owners was there and was cordial. He was doing everything Josh and Leigh were doing. I wish them all the best as well as the direction of the HH in the future.
    Great to hear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently stayed there and met Maggie and we hiked the entire trail together around the property. I met great people there and got great advice. When another hiker told me recently that they were trying to sell the place I couldn't understand why. It is a beautiful hostel and in a wonderful location. I would love to have been able to stay there again but now that it has been sold it will never be the same.

-Theory!

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    I think pushing out the riff-raff hikers is the whole idea here. My gut tells me starting January2018 it will no longer be a hiking hostel.

On Barefoot Luxury's "corporate" website, they list five properties including Hiker Hostel. The others are diverse, and include island resorts and even a resort specializing in diving. One link is to "Barefoot Lodge"...

" IMMERSE YOURSELF IN THE NORTH GEORGIA MOUNTAINS ... COMING SOON
    "Guests of Barefoot Lodge will find nature’s tranquility and endless activities: hike the Appalachian Trail and Benton MacKaye Trail, cycle, trail run, experience historic Dahlonega. Wine enthusiasts spend the day touring the vineyards and brides connect with the perfect wedding destination. Enjoy the casual elegance of your accommodations, experience your surroundings to their fullest extent, and make lasting memories."

Will Hiker Hostel become Barefoot Lodge, or will this be a separate venue? It almost sounds too ambitious for the current Hiker Hostel. Is there ample room on the property at Hiker Hostel to create a second venue, or someplace nearby?

I had a truly enjoyable stay at Hiker Hostel. As it turns out it was the last week that Josh and Leigh would be there. I met Jessie, one of the new owners as he has been "learning the business" for the last couple months. Seems to really be interested in carrying on the best of the Hiker Hostel policies etc and continuing with the great experience. Also seems like it was time for Josh and Leigh to move on to something new. I wish them both well in their new endeavors, whatever they may be. It definitely set a standard for hostels in my mind. Much more like a home than anything else. Very clean! I like that!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I enjoyed several very nice stays in the fall, last year and this spring on an AT section hike. Wish them the best.

Just checked the hiker hostel website to see how they were handling reservations online now. Prices have increased some. The $19 bunk is now $25 + lodging tax and state tax and I know the other rates have gone up some. Don't know if it's a seasonal thing, but will be interesting to follow in the future. Here is the online reservation site linked to the hiker hostel website: https://hikerhostel.com/reservations/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Just spoke with Leigh because I wanted to ensure I had no issues with my reservation. Checked out the new website too.

Found this interesting (yet not very hiker friendly)

I'm a planner and even I wasn't able to set my reservation that far in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    And just to be clear - that looks like that is going to be new policy going forward.
    Perhaps they read our posts? They changed their reservation/cancellation policy https://hikerhostel.com/policies/ Not quite so bad now. more than 7 days = full refund, less than 7 days = 50%

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Perhaps they read our posts? They changed their reservation/cancellation policy https://hikerhostel.com/policies/ Not quite so bad now. more than 7 days = full refund, less than 7 days = 50%
    That's great! Perhaps the feedback that I and others gave made a difference. Nice to see they listened.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Just had to canceled my reservation with the Hiker Hostel. When I checked to see if everything was stilll ok, I got a reply from Mike the new owner that said I would need to get my own transportation from Marta. In February I made a reservation with Leigh to be picked up at the Marta station and then spend the night. Guess things have changed. Just going to shuttle straight to the trailhead!

Quote Originally Posted by Rest Step View Post
    Just had to canceled my reservation with the Hiker Hostel. When I checked to see if everything was stilll ok, I got a reply from Mike the new owner that said I would need to get my own transportation from Marta. In February I made a reservation with Leigh to be picked up at the Marta station and then spend the night. Guess things have changed. Just going to shuttle straight to the trailhead!
    They aren't doing shuttles? WTheck?

Still going to the trail, just not the Marta. They were real nice about everything though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rest Step View Post
    Still going to the trail, just not the Marta. They were real nice about everything though.
    I stayed there a few days after the new management took over. Was not impressed. With tax, the bunk cost $30. The breakfast was minimalist, hardly worth getting up for. Then they charged us an additional $8.00 each to shuttle us back to the trail at Woody Gap - 6 miles up the road!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I stayed there a few days after the new management took over. Was not impressed. With tax, the bunk cost $30. The breakfast was minimalist, hardly worth getting up for. Then they charged us an additional $8.00 each to shuttle us back to the trail at Woody Gap - 6 miles up the road!
    When I was there it was $85 for pickup, stopped at Wally World on the way into HH, bunk, good sized breakfast, shuttle to trail head. That was last week of Josh and Leigh being there for the transition.

Stayed there a couple of weeks ago.
    Two days before I was to arrive in Gainesville Ga on Amtrack I got a call telling me they would not pick me up. But they did arrange an uber. I still had to do al the uber stuff but he was there waiting for me even though the train was an hour late.
    The HH is a nice place, I stayed in a container cabin and it was neat.
    They took us to the springer mountain parking lot and dropped us off.
    I spent one night on the trail in the rain and wanted to get picked up at Hightower gap and HH said nope, not today, maybe tomorrow and we have no way to get you back to Gainesville.
    I will be trying the trail again in October but will try and go from Gainesville to the trail.

http://www.topofgeorgiahostel.com/shuttles

seems they still do the Slack Pack Georgia program.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++