WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You could give the Soto Wind Master a try while 20% coupons are around.
    http://www.backcountrygear.com/windm...KIoaAlO28P8HAQ
    http://www.gearinstitute.com/hiking/...oto-windmaster
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    is that a rolling boil, or when a string of bubbles starts to leave the bottom, or just when the pot start to make noise?

I'd check those times again. not saying you didn't, but that's not consistent with most people's results who wait for a full rolling boil. Jetboil and other heat-exchanger stoves excepted...
    Keep in mind that he's at altitude... approx 2°F lower boiling point per 1000 ft increase in elevation... therefore Denver is about 202°F to boil.

I have done a lot of stove testing and the best boil efficiency I ever got was with a JB MiniMo pot and a BRS-3000T that used 6.3g of fuel to boil 3 cups.... extrapolate backwards and add a little fudge factor (on the conservative side) to make it 4.4g for 2 cups. And that's at Sea Level... knock 10 degrees off for 5000 ft of elevation and it's quite feasible.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 03-30-2017 at 16:33.

Images

is that a rolling boil, or when a string of bubbles starts to leave the bottom, or just when the pot start to make noise?

I'd check those times again. not saying you didn't, but that's not consistent with most people's results who wait for a full rolling boil. Jetboil and other heat-exchanger stoves excepted...
    More than just bubbles which appear almost instantly, I'm talking the very start of a rolling boil then immediate shutoff. But I didn't quote any times???? The 4 gram number I did quote IS indeed with a jetboil SOL Ti and in perfect conditions, and yeah, at Denver altitudes, slight difference, add a gram maybe at sea level, though I doubt even a gram. Keep in mind a lot of AT hiking (and other thru trails) spend a lot of time at Denver altitudes plus/minus.

I did this test initially in 2007, then repeated it last summer with the same pocket rocket (the 6-7 gram number) and a newer Jetboil, but same result.
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 03-30-2017 at 16:34.

My tests showed such wildly varying times and fuel usage I actually broke down and bought a Jetboil MicroMo. Purports to boil 2 cups on 5 grams fuel in 2 1/2 minutes. I need to boil water for every meal as I eat all my own home made freeze dried meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner. So yeah, boil times and reliability is a huge factor.

I also had made several veresions of windscreens/reflectors after looking on line for many things. Maybe I'm just crappy at the DIY gear but I wanted to not be worried about my stove going into my hike. I have 30 days to hike and I want to enjoy it! The little extra weight the jetboil compared to what I was going to bring is well worth it. And once I am truly convinced how long my canister lasts with this stove and I can stop carrying a "spare" I will drop even more weight from my pack.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I think you made a good choice with the MicroMo.

While JB stoves are not nearly as wind-resistant as Windburner or Reactor, they're a heckuva lot lighter.

You really don't have to worry all that much about figuring out some sort of ingenious MYOG wind screen. About 99.99% of the time you'll be able to figure out ways to block the wind using natural items around you or improvising with some other stuff in your pack.
    BRS with natural wind break_02.jpg BRS with improvised wind break_02.jpg

I was late with the Soto.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Keep in mind that he's at altitude... approx 2°F lower boiling point per 1000 ft increase in elevation... therefore Denver is about 202°F to boil.

I have done a lot of stove testing and the best boil efficiency I ever got was with a JB MiniMo pot and a BRS-3000T that used 6.3g of fuel to boil 3 cups.... extrapolate backwards and add a little fudge factor (on the conservative side) to make it 4.4g for 2 cups. And that's at Sea Level... knock 10 degrees off for 5000 ft of elevation and it's quite feasible.
    I am really starting to like my BRS. I normally bring a SP Giga with a 1.3l Evernew pot for 2 or 2+ and use the 3000 for solo, but I am thinking maybe a .9l pasta pot with the 3000 may work just as well with multiple boils.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    I am really starting to like my BRS. I normally bring a SP Giga with a 1.3l Evernew pot for 2 or 2+ and use the 3000 for solo, but I am thinking maybe a .9l pasta pot with the 3000 may work just as well with multiple boils.
    My struggles with the BRS may have been the narrowess of my pot. maybe if I had a short squat pot it would have been better/more consistent.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    If I were going for the most efficient (non-HX) 900ml it would be the Toaks with 130mm diameter @ 3.6 oz with lid.

The Olicamp XTS (with HX) looks attractive, but although it claims 6.7 oz weight, that does not include the relatively heavy lid and the total weight is about 8 oz.

(Might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere... Amazon links just easy to find.)

I'm using the MSR Titan with mine and while not the most efficient it is close enough, and I just don't want to buy another pot.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    As your canister uses fuel, the pressure that it exits at decreases. Temperature also effects the pressure, the colder it gets the lower the pressure. This can be overcome by using a stove that permits the canister to be inverted so that the stove is burn a liquefied gas instead of vapor. This is one reason I switched from a pocket rocket to a WhisperLite Universal. It ways a lot more, but it can burn butane/propane, white gas, gasoline or kerosene. You can tell how much is left in your canister by floating it in a pan of water. Start with a new/full canister and make a mark at the water line as you continue to use the canister keep doing this and eventually you will know where to put your full, half empty or half full, and empty marks on new canister. Hope this helps you out.
    Some brands put the marks on the cylinder for you (MSR is one brand that does).
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Nope. I'm done. Will see how it does on the trail under real conditions. Worse thing happens is I hate it and just deal for the month or ship it home for the BRS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    My struggles with the BRS may have been the narrowess of my pot. maybe if I had a short squat pot it would have been better/more consistent.
    Having the right diameter pot is critical. The BRS has short pot arms and I have been hesitant to use with my 1.3l Evernew. The Evernew Pasta pot seems to work better as it is more stable. I am a FBC re-hydrator in a separate container and like a hot drink or 2 with B-Fast and dinner. Initially, I was worried about the BRS's reliability, they were so cheap. I think I paid sub $10 for the first one. It's proven to be a good stove and is a significant reduction in weight.

Journal Entries

my brs3000 works great with my little beer can pot.
    I dont think its all that critical personally

wind screen....wind screen...wind screen...

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    my brs3000 works great with my little beer can pot.
    I dont think its all that critical personally

wind screen....wind screen...wind screen...
    The stability of the wider diameter pots is the issue. Windscreen(s) may or may not be necessary depending on conditions and location. The length of the pot supports are short.

Your little beer can pot is good fit, it has a small diameter bottom, larger capacity, shorter height pots, no so great.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    More than just bubbles which appear almost instantly, I'm talking the very start of a rolling boil then immediate shutoff. But I didn't quote any times???? The 4 gram number I did quote IS indeed with a jetboil SOL Ti and in perfect conditions, and yeah, at Denver altitudes, slight difference, add a gram maybe at sea level, though I doubt even a gram. Keep in mind a lot of AT hiking (and other thru trails) spend a lot of time at Denver altitudes plus/minus.

I did this test initially in 2007, then repeated it last summer with the same pocket rocket (the 6-7 gram number) and a newer Jetboil, but same result.
    yeah, sorry I didn't mean times.

anyway, your results are better than mine. I normally don't turn the valve open very far, some people just open it up as far as it will go. I bet this has some affect on efficiency...

Images

yeah, sorry I didn't mean times.

anyway, your results are better than mine. I normally don't turn the valve open very far, some people just open it up as far as it will go. I bet this has some affect on efficiency...
    Which essentially brings us back to the original post.... efficiency of canister stoves vs. burn rate, kinda. I'm pretty sure stoves that contain the flame all under the pot, which heat-exchanger type stoves do, are most efficient at full-power. I've seen the opposite for other canister stoves just because of the side-leakage of the flame under high power.

FWIW, even though I see 4gm/boil at home under perfect conditions, I don't assume I get this in the field; I assume 5 gm/boil for some slight margin. Plus I carry a backup "esbit-esque" tablet which doubles both as an emergency fire starter and a half a tablet will heat two cups pretty darn hot, not quite a boil but hot enough for a meal or big cup of coffee. Just find a flat rock, light the tab on the rock, place jetboil pot over it and wait.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++