WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Max Patch, Max Views, Max Adventure

Max Patch adventure! This was the first time one of my friends had tried backpacking, so the pressure was on me to make sure she stayed alive and had fun! (Spoilers: she's still alive and she claims she had fun) ;) http://www.therestlesswild.com/blog/max-patch

Journal Entries

ek,
    Nice write-up, really nice pictures. :) Those were some strange earthstar fungi...
    I liked your phrase "grey-blue mountains coated with sugar and dotted with chocolate sticks".

My husband and I were on the trail that same weekend, a hundred or so miles north in SW Virginia. We didn't have as much snow, nor such good vistas, but the landscape was still beautiful. Funny thing is we experienced that same weather, including the hail! It's almost like we were there with you. What's really weird is that you have my shoes!

Thanks illabelle! Yeah, my friend and I saw the fungi and we definitely spent a while puzzling over them, ha! That's when I decided to just take a photo of them and look them up later :)
    I love how the trail can make it seem like we're closer than we are - that's crazy you all got the same weather including the hail! How are you liking your Keens? Mine are actually pretty new - they replaced some old Vasques - but I'm thinking I might try some trail runners on some lighter trips this summer.

Great write-up and awesome pics! Is your friend ready to go back out on another trip! I bet she is!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ekgoodman View Post
    Thanks illabelle! Yeah, my friend and I saw the fungi and we definitely spent a while puzzling over them, ha! That's when I decided to just take a photo of them and look them up later :)
    I love how the trail can make it seem like we're closer than we are - that's crazy you all got the same weather including the hail! How are you liking your Keens? Mine are actually pretty new - they replaced some old Vasques - but I'm thinking I might try some trail runners on some lighter trips this summer.
    Love my Keens! This is my second pair. First pair were a different color, but they developed a bit of wear, so I replaced them. When the time comes, I'll probably get another pair.

Just noticed something else weird: my screen shows that you have made one post. But any toddler can see that you have two posts so far in this thread, and with a little bit of nosing around I can see that you've had a handful of others. Refreshed the page, still just 1. Are you some sort of ghost???

Haha she said she was sore for a week, but now she seems interested in another trip! I'm already planning another section over Easter break with another friend, but I've told my newbie friend that we should do a May hike and enjoy some warmer weather :) We both got a tiny bit chilly once or twice at night. (Plus I just want another excuse to hike, and I want to lighten up my pack and do an overnight with my hammock.)

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Love my Keens! This is my second pair. First pair were a different color, but they developed a bit of wear, so I replaced them. When the time comes, I'll probably get another pair.

Just noticed something else weird: my screen shows that you have made one post. But any toddler can see that you have two posts so far in this thread, and with a little bit of nosing around I can see that you've had a handful of others. Refreshed the page, still just 1. Are you some sort of ghost???
    Nice! Yeah, I'm liking the Keens so far. I'm especially liking the extra space in the toebox.

Hahaha what? I mean, I'm mostly a forums reader and not a forums poster, but you'd think it would have caught the few posts I've put up! Weird. ::checks pulse:: Yup, I'm definitely alive and not a ghost.

And in case anyone is interested, I got some info from my friend after the trip - tips she found helpful and lessons learned on the trip as a newbie backpacker: http://www.therestlesswild.com/blog/...-from-a-newbie

++ New Posts ++