WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Knobstone Trail

Default Knobstone Trail

I'm planning on doing a 20ish mile out and back on Indiana's Knobstone Trail this April. Those of you who have experience on the KT, IYO what would be the best section? Thanks.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

jackson to leota
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Do you mean 20 miles total or 20 miles out and 20 miles back?

20 total, sorry the way I worded that was a little confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by loguon_theguy View Post
    20 total, sorry the way I worded that was a little confusing.
    Ok, probly the best views are from Deam trailhead (southern terminus) to Pixley Knob trailhead and back; for a more strenuous adventure try Leota trailhead to IN 56 and back.

I jumped the border this summer to Valpo, IN....
    Been thinking about this trail more often too (though in reality me and the family are probably looking at a shades state park 3 miler, lol).

Anywho- Just to get it first hand...
    This is a finished trail yes? And in decent shape from what I hear. (the river to river in Shawnee is always moving and/or in various states of disrepair/storm damage).
    It's the connector trail (middle section) that is not done correct? Something about tying into techumseh trail or do I have that mixed up...

Otherwise looks like a pleasant trail- just curious how it compares with the Shawnee RTR mess. That's a fun adventure; but not one I'd bring a 6 year old.

On a side note- anyone been to Salamonie Lake/Bloodroot trail? Looked like a good spot for overnighters fer Just Bill and Lil Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I jumped the border this summer to Valpo, IN....
    Been thinking about this trail more often too (though in reality me and the family are probably looking at a shades state park 3 miler, lol).

Anywho- Just to get it first hand...
    This is a finished trail yes? And in decent shape from what I hear. (the river to river in Shawnee is always moving and/or in various states of disrepair/storm damage).
    It's the connector trail (middle section) that is not done correct? Something about tying into techumseh trail or do I have that mixed up...

Otherwise looks like a pleasant trail- just curious how it compares with the Shawnee RTR mess. That's a fun adventure; but not one I'd bring a 6 year old.

On a side note- anyone been to Salamonie Lake/Bloodroot trail? Looked like a good spot for overnighters fer Just Bill and Lil Will.
    Bill, there is an existing Knobstone Trail and a Tecumseh Trail. There is an ongoing effort to connect the two via what is presently called the Pioneer Trail. It is unfinished at this time unless you want to count several long sections of road-walking.
    The Knobstone Trail is generally considered to be the toughest trail in Indiana to hike.
    I have not hiked the other trail you mentioned so cannot comment on them.

I've hiked the majority of both the knobstone (IN) and R2R (IL) trails. the knobstone is better marked and easier to follow in general, although I didnt find the portions of the R2R I've hiked all that difficult to follow. Maybe I've not hiked the difficult portions. I havent hiked the tecumseh or connector. There's several steep sections to the knobstone, but its not that difficult of a trail. The toughest in IN, likely, but I have heard and read its the toughest in the midwest, tougher than the AT, toughest in the nation, etc. thats all bogus.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Thanks guys!

Perhaps it's improved (the R2R) like many things in southern Illinois the last few years as they have finally embraced tourism as part of their economy. There was a guy (andy I think) on here quite a bit last year who was working on cleaning it up and some renewed interest in general for it... it's really a nice trail. The middle and east sections (e-town to garden of the gods especially) had gotten pretty bad... especially after the year they had the inland hurricane and then two years of bad ice storms. Shawnee just didn't have the means or budget to clean up. Historically- some local problems too with folks stripping off trail signs or spinning stuff around. I've gotten off trail in Lusk Creek a few times when I go in the fall (leaves fall and where is the trail, lol) but you find your way through and it's not that big a deal if you've hiked someplace besides the AT. Lotta folks forget the AT is the exception, not the rule, lol.

Looking forward to getting down there... I'm sure its tricky. Probably more like the roller coaster section of the AT... not flatland but nothing to lose any sleep over.

[QUOTE=The Solemates;2139862The toughest in IN, likely, but I have heard and read its the toughest in the midwest, tougher than the AT, toughest in the nation, etc. thats all bogus.[/QUOTE]

I agree, Actually the Adventure trail close to the Ohio River in Indiana is probably right near as tough as the Knobstone and has more to offer IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I agree, Actually the Adventure trail close to the Ohio River in Indiana is probably right near as tough as the Knobstone and has more to offer IMO.
    thanks! didnt know this trail existed!

amongnature.blogspot.com

Really? I heard they're doing a bunch of logging around the adventure loop right now, and that the reroute isn't well marked. Correct me if I'm wrong cause I would love to do a loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    And there are multiple shelters around it right?

Yes there are shelters, great views, and a loop, which eliminates the need for a shuttle.

As for the logging, I'm not sure what is going on right now, but they have done considerable logging in past years and the trail was sometimes hard to follow (green markers on green trees).

I know that you don't want to try the loop if it has been raining for days right before you go because some parts of it will get flooded out.

Here is the number to find out current conditions: 812-738-8232

Journal Entries
    Images

A group of us are going out to thru hike it on April 8-11, if you want to come, or meet up for a section of it.

I'm planning on doing a 20ish mile out and back on Indiana's Knobstone Trail this April. Those of you who have experience on the KT, IYO what would be the best section? Thanks.

Journal Entries
    Images

I hiked the AHT back in February in a day and a half. People say it's rough, and there is some elevation, but I completed it with the water I was carrying and overnighted in a very nice shelter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn-O24Z83WQ

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    A group of us are going out to thru hike it on April 8-11, if you want to come, or meet up for a section of it.
    Wish I could come, I'm planning on doing it again later this summer.

I hiked the Adventure Trail in late January. There were 2 active logging sites. Both quite large. Over the past 5-10 years there has been extensive logging in this state forest and the experience was not as pleasant as it was in the mid 90's when I last did this trail. I also did the trail in 1.5 days. The shelters are quite nice. There was freezing rain and snow the night I was out but I was able to sit at a picnic table under the shelter overhang and read. I was at the Ohio river shelter which is on a 300-400? foot bluff overlooking the river. Very nice location to spend the night. When you go past the state park campgrounds you can go in to get water or use the bathrooms. Even with all the logging it is still one of the best trails in Indiana

Images

I've done the Knobstone Trail. It is called "the little AT" and the terrain is similar with puds and up and downs. Water wise it can get very dry very fast. But we did the entire thing in about four days. U think my journal is on here.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Yes, I did an overnighter on the the Bloodroot trail back in May of 2015. It was my introduction to solo backpacking. About 13 miles, really no hills to speak of. Just a nice stroll through the woods.

Not a lot of running water sources when I hiked it. Both of the campsites are near the lake, but up on a fairly steep slope IIRC. Speaking of the campsites there is a charge to use them ($10 IIRC) and you pay at a self-register board at the trailhead. The two campsites are the only legal place to camp along the trail. One of the campsites is quite large, a couple of picnic tables and a fire ring. Could easily accommodate 8-10. The other campsite was small; a fire ring, a wooden bench, and maybe enough flat/open ground for two tents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++