WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I think anyone would prefer to have the latest information about a trail if it's available. Who can argue with that?

As for the GPS, it's quite a leap to go from "a GPS is handy" and then say "but if you're a hiker that requires a GPS... .. " in the same sentence.

On the section of the CDT I hiked every day, and sometimes multiple times per day, I'd be on trail and hike into a big meadow - get to the middle of the meadow and the trail would just disappear. I'd walk to the other side of the meadow and there'd be multiple trails going back into the woods.

Now... I can read a map pretty good but I'd rather hike a mile than spend 30 minutes dicking around playing Marco Polo trying to figure out which trail is the trail. I mean if that's something someone finds enjoyable then I'm not one to judge - but it's not my thing.
    If I'm not mistaken, you're relating experiences within the last 2 yrs or so?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, you're relating experiences within the last 2 yrs or so?
    yessir that's right

As thread drift I sincerely hope the CDT always stays a trail that is always under construction, always having alternates, always having new alternates shared, and NEVER EVER becomes a here and ONLY HERE is the trail. SO SHWEET teh CDT has not yet totally become a cookie cutter hike or a "guide" book titled "This is How to Hike the CDT" doesn't exists.

A lot of good info here for me to digest. I still have four months, so I'll make good use of it in preparation. A GPS may indeed be the ideal navigation tool for the CDT. I'm just saying that, although "handy," it's a luxury, not a necessity (I know someone who thru-hiked it with a compass and topo map). And if it is a necessity, one probably shouldn't be hiking, especially solo. I'm not knocking anyone else who uses it. I just try to avoid as much high-tech as possible on the trail. I wallow in it every day at home and work, and I backpack to get away from that stuff!

And I would love to see the CDT always stay "under construction," as well.

"Wilderness is where things work the way they're supposed to work" - Walkin' Jim Stoltz

You quoted Walkin Jim Stoltz. You'll have a good hike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++