WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Ultralight Portable Charger Options

Not sure if this has been discussed as I couldnt find anything related in the search .
    I was curious what everyones options for ultralight portable battery back ups.
    I currently use A 20,000 mah for my longer hikes that weight at 7.8 ounces.(OUCH)
    I also have a 6000 mah charger that weighs at 4.4 ounces.
    So I was looking to see if if I could find A 10000 or so mah for around the same weight as the 6000 .
    I would like to keep it under five ounces if possible.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

20 Ah for 7.8 ounces is a pretty good power/weight ratio. The Anker PowerCore 10000 is considered light weight at 6.35 oz.

Not really an ultralight accessory. You have to decide how much power (# charges) you need and start comparing from there. I carried an 8oz charger which I consider pretty heavy. However, I used my smart phone quite a bit and this was important to me.

Use less battery juice and you can downsize your backup. But 20 at under 8oz is pretty awesome. I have 4000(?) at 4oz so even your 6000 looks pretty sweet. What is the brand and make on that 6000?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries
    Images

Not sure on 6000 as it was A gift from bealls outlet and has no name on it except power bank lol,on packaging when I got it it claimed to be water resistance and shatter resistant. I have not checked them claims yet.
    The 20000 is called A friesta or something like that, it is A cheapy from ebay or amazon. search ultrathin 20000 mah charger and it should pop up.
    Am pretty happy with it thus far was just seeing if there were lighter options out there.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Batteries be heavy. Ultralight = not much battery.

Journal Entries
    Images

Batteries be heavy. Ultralight = not much battery.
    True.
    I do however use my phone for my camera and video as well as obviously A phone so eliminating the camera saves weight.
    If I could find say A 10000 mah for 4 ounces then I would go for it.

I would stick with a name brand like Anker or Ravpower even if it is slightly heavier. You get more charges (technically less loss) from quality batteries. Some of the cheap no names can lose 50% of their capacity to charging loss, so that 10,000 mAh is now a 5,000 mAh and you really didn't gain anything by saving that ounce. The Anker 10,000 mAh at 6-7 oz is a good choice. Quality product, generally only has about 20% loss.

A good way to estimate what you need is google your devices to see what mAh battery they have. Add them up and multiply how many charges you want out of a battery pack and go with that number as your battery size. Most people don't charge their devices from 0%, so you can sorta ignore the normal loss here. And batteries never perform optimally in cold weather, so don't forget that.

Journal Entries
    Images

I would stick with a name brand like Anker or Ravpower even if it is slightly heavier. You get more charges (technically less loss) from quality batteries. Some of the cheap no names can lose 50% of their capacity to charging loss, so that 10,000 mAh is now a 5,000 mAh and you really didn't gain anything by saving that ounce. The Anker 10,000 mAh at 6-7 oz is a good choice. Quality product, generally only has about 20% loss.
    This is good to know.
    I am going to do some test runs on my cheapy onethat I have used and see how many charges I get out if it. on my scale it weighs 7.16 oz. If I switch to the anker 10000 it will save me A little more than 1/2 ounce and if it gives me the charges I need then I will likely switch to it.
    I have never heard anything bad about anker.

You do have to be careful of capacity claims, they are often overstated, especially the off brand, discount type.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

So true!

I have a high quality Varta that says to have 6000mAh and can charge my smartphone roughly 2 1/2 times, and for my most recent trip also carried a noname (Chinese) battery pack that claims to have 5000mAh but can only charge my phone one time, then it fails to charge more even if the indicating LEDs show some 25% power left. This noname battery also features some solar panel on one side, but though I've exposed it to full sun for a whole day it didn't charge the battery to any noticeable level. In addition, it has a bright LED lamp built in to work as a backup light source, that switched on in the backpack several times thus draining the battery. Poor crap.

Best advice is, to stay with the premium brands.

Journal Entries

Depending on your phone model and what you are hiking you may be better carrying extra phone batteries instead of a power brick. I've even done this with a iP4 with it's non-removable battery, by leaving off the screws in the iP4, allowing the back plate to slide off and also the screw w/ the battery connector also removed. Not that I would recommend that, but to go ultralight there are sacrifices that must be made, damn it.

Leonidas

The other thing to think about if you really want to save weight is to use a usb charging headlamp as well. That way you can charge from it as well and save carrying extra batteries for it. Just something else to spend $$ on and to consider.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries
    Images

The other thing to think about if you really want to save weight is to use a usb charging headlamp as well. That way you can charge from it as well and save carrying extra batteries for it. Just something else to spend $$ on and to consider.
    I use the petzel elite new version that is 50 luens and with 2 two watch batteries it weighs less than an once.
    Also the batteries work for my watch so I only carry one extra set and it was still working after two months on the FT.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    I use the petzel elite new version that is 50 luens and with 2 two watch batteries it weighs less than an once.
    Also the batteries work for my watch so I only carry one extra set and it was still working after two months on the FT.
    Sweet! I looked at that one but it just seemed to little light for night hiking.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

I belive when you do nighthiking on a regular basis, you would like a really good an bright headlamp, and it would not make too much sense having a USB rechargeable lamp plus an external battery pack to charge from. You'd rather be better off with running the lamp by AA primary cells, weight-wise.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    I belive when you do nighthiking on a regular basis, you would like a really good an bright headlamp, and it would not make too much sense having a USB rechargeable lamp plus an external battery pack to charge from. You'd rather be better off with running the lamp by AA primary cells, weight-wise.
    I already have the external brick for charging my wife and my phones. carrying batteries for the headlamp actually increases my particular loadout. The headlamp is 400 lumens on high and 3 oz. As with everything else, do what works for you.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    The 20000 is called A friesta or something like that, it is A cheapy from ebay or amazon.
    This one (Fritesla) at Amazon?
    Fritesla.jpg
    It's listed at 0.9 lbs. (14.4 oz.), which is more than the figure you gave.

Poking around the various Amazon suggestions I found this ToHLo model offering 20 Ah in 7.68 ounces; that's close to what you specified.

Journal Entries
    Images

It's listed at 0.9 lbs. (14.4 oz.), which is more than the figure you gave.
    No it is not that model.
    It is A slim line model,unfortunately I havent seen any on amazon in A while of that model,but have seen some that looks the same on ebay spected at 8 ounces.

Journal Entries
    Images

++ New Posts ++