WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default honeyville freeze dried cheese

Can anyone recommend (or warn against) freeze dried cheese shreds?

I've had good luck with the dried cheese from make your gear.com

Dutch does quality stuff

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I used dehydrated cheese on a couple of sections hikes. The taste is there but it works best for blending in with meals. It worked pretty well adding it to Lipton Noddle meals where I would bring up the water to a boil for a minute or two and then dump in dehydrated veggies and cheese then let it sit for awhile wrapped up in fleece or whatever else I had handy. Definitely not great for eating out of the package and my eggs and cheese experiment wasn't a winner as the cheese really didn't rehydrate. After the initial experiment I didn't buy any more and switched over to cheese powder (the stuff they put in Krafts macaroni and cheese). I bought a bulk can from Honeyville awhile back and repacked it into smaller quantities with a vacuum sealer. I throw in an oxygen absorber in each small bag and so far it doesn't seem to be degrading.

Did you use the Honeyville freezedried stuff in the experiment?

I'm trying to go with the freezedried because it has more calories, and none of the flourescent orange coloring.

What am I missing?
    I can't see giving up Cabot Alpine or Seriously Sharp Cheddar cheese for this stuff. Or a good hard parmesian or BabyBel for that matter.
    Please educate me.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Did you use the Honeyville freezedried stuff in the experiment?

I'm trying to go with the freezedried because it has more calories, and none of the flourescent orange coloring.
    It was not specifically Honeyville that I tested, it was from some other bulk backpacking supply firm that sadly went out of business.

I wouldn't get stressed over the orange color, kraft now uses a natural coloring agent instead of dye (they used it for years in Europe). I expect other firms have done the same.

http://www.thekitchn.com/all-the-col...emonger-166329

Yep natural. But I have had violent butt reactions to orange-colored cheese things in the past. It might have been something else I was eating, but I'm taking no chances.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    .......But I have had violent butt reactions to orange-colored cheese things in the past.............
    Would that be Cheetos?
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

The best Cabot cheddars are white. I thought everyone knew that.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I wonder if it's similar to Moon Cheese which I've tried? Weird crunchy texture I wasn't expecting. I could leave it but that's just me.

http://www.netrition.com/moon_cheese.html

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    What am I missing?
    I can't see giving up Cabot Alpine or Seriously Sharp Cheddar cheese for this stuff. Or a good hard parmesian or BabyBel for that matter.
    Please educate me.
    Wayne
    How is it I keep finding myself agreeing with you? Cabot Seriously Sharp is a staple in my house. As is a big wedge of Parmesan.

What most folks figure out after a few weeks of thru hiking is food is fuel. I section hiked the AT mostly over a 10 year stretch but did a 5 week stretch at one point. I started out fixing fancier meals early on but after a few years I mostly packed something quick and filling that didn't require hassle. Dealing with regular cheese in hot weather is extra hassle while having a ziplock bag of dehydrated cheese is not so that's what wins. If someone has a issue with powdered cheese like the OP dehydrated sure sound likes a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Would that be Cheetos?
    Specifically it was Cheez-its, or some knockoff thereoff. They're dyed oranger than orange. I have no way of knowing if that was the reason, or maybe it just dyed all the food I was eating while otherwise sick, but there were all sorts of things going on.

Food is more than energy. Food is more than caloric content.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    How is it I keep finding myself agreeing with you? Cabot Seriously Sharp is a staple in my house. As is a big wedge of Parmesan.

Have you noticed that nobody else has answered my question? Hey?
    No worries. Y'all do as you like. Real cheese for me.
    Wayne

Update: I bought a can. $41 with shipping. 176 cal/oz.
    I followed the instructions on the can - mix cheese 1:2 ratio with "room temperature water", wait 5 minutes, then pour off the water - and it was crunchy. After waiting about 15, I drained it and ate it - pretty decent, on par with grocery-store brand monterey jack. Mixing and draining was kind of a pain, I'm not sure I'd do it if I wasn't boiling a dinner like a Lipton or something. It's not going to replace your cheese block for quick lunches (bagels etc), but as a lightweight, dense addition to a cooked meal, definitely.

+1, would eat again

Great, sounds like the same stuff I bought years ago. Good for cooking but not so good for eating out of the bag.

++ New Posts ++