WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    At some point the FKT will be bested by only minutes. Not days or even hours. And, that point is rapidly approaching.
    I'd say that point has already been reached, at least on the AT. In a 2013 BRO interview, I made the comment that a sub-50 self-supported isn't possible. Though we may see a repeat-contender with just about the right résumé take a stab at that later this season.

For now, I'll stick to my assertion...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    I'd say that point has already been reached, at least on the AT. In a 2013 BRO interview, I made the comment that a sub-50 self-supported isn't possible. Though we may see a repeat-contender with just about the right résumé take a stab at that later this season.

Is that you.... Joey Camps?

We are in the presence of greatness.

Please tell me that you're the repeat contender!

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    First to Bill. I really admire your passion about the topic. You have been a clear bell for your position and I respect your position. I do agree for the need for rules, I think we both do. It's just that FKT brings with it $$$$. $$$$ needs rules or the cheating and arguing will go on ad infinitum. We've already seen "cheating" in the form of miles skipped in a pickup truck(I think it was a truck) and the beating(deservedly so) that she took for it. And to me, letting the rules be made by the "king of the hill" is arbitrary. Who is to judge aesthetics v. athletics? Apparently the last guy to win. That's the arbitrary that I can't wrap my head around. Except to say that to hike the entire AT backwards in under 7 months is indeed a feat of BOTH aesthetic and athletic glory!

Second, to Muddy, I agree wholeheartedly. From this point forward, any 1a or 1b that bests a 1 will be the penultimate trail accomplishment. At some point the FKT will be bested by only minutes. Not days or even hours. And, that point is rapidly approaching.
    Ahhh the $$$$.
    Fame Fortune and all the trail tail one could ever want...I hear JPD had a man in her bed almost every night on her overall FKT. It's even rumored Jurek fathered at least one child on his FKT.
    Now we're getting to the real nitty gritty.

Knowing the rough financial situation of some of these folks...you'd be sorely disappointed. The vast majority of these FKT's are self funded efforts by folks who live modestly (or even at/below poverty level) in order to have the time to do what they love. 99% of them have regular people jobs (that they regularly quit and hence have no career) and haven't made a dime from the trail. Most, if not all, have paid money for the privilege that will not be recouped.

Jennifer Pharr Davis- her efforts certainly didn't hurt... but (taking an educated guess) I would imagine her book Odyssa has outsold her book about her FKT(called again) by a good bit. She hustled her butt off trail, started a company, has published multiple books and between her and that trusty drunkard of a husband of hers they've carved out a living though I believe Brew is still a full time teacher if he hasn't moved on to become a rock star. But basically Brew and Jen scrounged enough money together on their own and self funded the big hike for the FKT... and the one before that one... and the one before that one and all the other hikes needed that finally culminated into that one big hike.

Something not often considered... on average you're probably talking about a decade of experience (read:training, trips,loss of progress in a career and expenses) that slowly build up to an FKT. A decade of nobody paying, watching, or knowing your name. Quietly living your life and pushing towards a goal that at best is a coinflip's chance of success when the big day comes.

Anish seems to have picked up a few sponsors... though I'd be hard pressed to call free chocolate and peanut butter a living. Probably does better with the inspirational t-shirts. She hits the road and does speaking tours it appears from her faceybook. Not being too familiar with the pay scale of such events though it's often debatable if the speaking fee (if any) covers travel costs. She has a personal training/coaching business she started. So again... maybe a passionate person with a good work ethic has cobbled together enough nickels and dimes from hundreds of different sources to eek by a very modest living. This is a good looking female athlete, featured in multiple media outlets, and the first person to hold an FKT on three major long distance trails. But still at best you might call her a semi-professional athlete.

How bout them big boys though who went after the ABSOLUTE FKT! Gotta be huge money there right?
    Well Jurek self funded his hike. Probably got free bars, gels, and shoes. Probably paid his buddy to take photos out of his own pocket... and maybe had some logistical help and promo crews sent from his main sponsors. And don't forget, a free gps tracker that worked like a charm!

Karl had some big bucks come from RedBull... the number shared publicly was about 100k. All the Hoka Speedgoats Belz could carry and probably all the redbull anyone could stomach. Redbull also seems to have incurred additional expenses of their own to promote the hike and support Karl. Seems a pretty hefty investment all told on their part, but Karl has put on some good shows for them in the past.

Now both of them fellers is what you might call professional athletes. Being two of the most famous ultra-runners... or runners period... on the planet. They both racked up long successful careers and built relationships with sponsors (brooks and hoka/Cliff Bar and RedBull) and Scott has a relationship with Ultimate Direction (bout the closest thing to a payday for any of the FKT guys I can see). As far as I know however, both have held regular day jobs at various points in their lives too. Both of them really wanted the FKT for purely personal reasons.

Did they get completion bonus's of some sort from their sponsors... maybe. Hasn't been shared.

Brooks released a special edition shoe based upon Jurek's hike, but I'd imagine that was part of his regular contract with them if I had to guess. It sounds like a book is in the works at some point but who knows...mainly it looks like he went back to his full time job of sponsored athlete/touring speaker/author/physical therapist and whatever else it is he does.

Really (IMO) all you saw there was a couple of folks who leveraged their long career and relationships to go after a personal goal. This wasn't "the big one" to set them up to retire. Did their mutual sponsors see a return on the investments? Hard to say... Jurek and Meltzer may have expanded their potential fanbase and extended their marketing potential in the efforts- but I highly doubt the average joe leaped up and bought cliff bars and redbull in any serious numbers as a result. I highly doubt the average joe heard about these hikes other than a passing blurb. Brooks and Hoka probably sold shoes, course they've been selling Jurek and Meltzer shoes just fine for several years. And runners probably bought bars and gels... and whoever the hell buys redbull kept on drinking redbull. The video of Karl's hike just came out and is making the rounds... I really enjoyed it. Can't say though my wallet opened up and puked riches on anyone as a result though.

In some interviews Karl did share some of the logistics and expenses related to the 100k; basically several flights back and forth to scout the trail and route with Belz (Crew chief) over the course of a year, a dry run and flexible start date in Maine just prior to the official attempt. The bulk of it though seems to have gone to simply paying his crew and feeding everyone. Maybe he scored a van if you want to fantasize about it... but those vans are 30-50k these days so kinda doubt 100k covers all that even if it sounds like an obscene number.

For now at least... There isn't really much money in it. I personally think those sponsors rewarded a long and successful partnership with two athletes that had long since earned their keep. The ol' gold watch at retirement if you like. Ultra's don't really have consistent payouts except for the really high profile races- though not something I pay attention to. Sponsorship and modest to poverty level stipends are still basically the deal except for the best in the world. There are "sponsored hikers"... they are generally single, live in shacks, don't own cars or property, and basically hike or hustle and leverage their name for a few bucks when they can. Both Karl and Scott have expressed multiple times that doing an FKT on a long distance trail so fundamentally alters the body that it would effectively end your career in Ultras (or at the very least put you out for a few seasons). So you won't see folks jumping over from the running world for anything less than personal reasons.

For the most part it is still a hobby for bragging rights- or more accurately a personal passion and competition of one. There might be a few dollars to rub together, some free stuff and swag. A bit of notoriety that might score you a $500 travel allowance and speaking fee in the back of an REI store on a tuesday night. If you bust your butt and publish a book you might inspire someone to actually buy it, though odds are good they will simply hold out and get the Kindle Unlimited version because all your fans are also cheap ass hikers and runners.

Most importantly- judging by the fact that several of them have children- I'd imagine they are getting laid once in a while.

So barring any backroom bonus money for Scott or Karl for completion of the trail- it appears that to date the biggest payday earned by anyone ever on any FKT has been Eric Belz.
    Who to the best of my knowledge does not hold an FKT of his own. So Belz- Fame and Fortune to you fella!

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Please tell me that you're the repeat contender!
    #babyonboardFKT

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    #babyonboardFKT
    Missed a memo about that. So just Joey Camps this year?

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Missed a memo about that. So just Joey Camps this year?
    Joey's too good looking to go running through the woods. The PCT worked out because his tan got really good in the desert.

All this talk about FKT's and Matt's fame resulting in him once getting laid and having a kid has inspired Matt to hit it again.

#babyonboardFKTsub50
    Sponsored by Nestle NIDO

Direct quote: "Screw that family carrying that baby and the 'Youngest hiker' BS! I'll carry my kid myself AND set an FKT. They want a stunt... I'll show them a stunt!"

Young kids often mean little sleep and irrational behavior. But if anyone can do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Joey's too good looking to go running through the woods. The PCT worked out because his tan got really good in the desert.

All this talk about FKT's and Matt's fame resulting in him once getting laid and having a kid has inspired Matt to hit it again.

#babyonboardFKTsub50
    Sponsored by Nestle NIDO

Direct quote: "Screw that family carrying that baby and the 'Youngest hiker' BS! I'll carry my kid myself AND set an FKT. They want a stunt... I'll show them a stunt!"

Young kids often mean little sleep and irrational behavior. But if anyone can do it...
    I'd pay to see that!

43 miles day 5. I'm really bored at work: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...P9kVt-OKVXCqo/ (NOT SCIENTIFIC AND NO PROMISES HOW LONG I'LL KEEP IT UP).

Sorry, I quoted the wrong sentence in my previous reply. No grand adventure in the immediate future for me beyond being a dad. I'm okay with that. Back to topic: always befuddled by the latest flavor social media for tracking, but based on splits reported, props to Ms. Jones for her efforts.

Sorry, I quoted the wrong sentence in my previous reply. No grand adventure in the immediate future for me beyond being a dad. I'm okay with that. Back to topic: always befuddled by the latest flavor social media for tracking, but based on splits reported, props to Ms. Jones for her efforts.
    I suspect that when she's done, her Instagram "story" will become viewable in its entirety. But I can't be sure. #gettingold

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    I suspect that when she's done, her Instagram "story" will become viewable in its entirety. But I can't be sure. #gettingold
    You kids and your instant grams <shakes fist>

43 miles day 5. I'm really bored at work: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...P9kVt-OKVXCqo/ (NOT SCIENTIFIC AND NO PROMISES HOW LONG I'LL KEEP IT UP).

how did you get 3.79 days behind Anish? Going by her average she'd be 241.74 miles in, compared to Kathryns 226.

CalebJ, yes Joey's at it again. https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ37tdSD7A1/?hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by MrClahn View Post
    how did you get 3.79 days behind Anish? Going by her average she'd be 241.74 miles in, compared to Kathryns 226.
    I subtracted Annish's final time in days from Jones' projected pace in days. As of day 6, If Jones continued at current pace, she'd finish 3.79 days behind Annish. Is my formula wrong, or my thinking?

I changed label to "Projected days behind Annish at Finish="

Note: ALL DATA APPROXIMATE

I meant Jones' projected finish... Jones' projected finish minus Annish's finish.

CalebJ, yes Joey's at it again. https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ37tdSD7A1/?hl=en
    http://melanson.bangordailynews.com/...lachian-trail/

I think this got posted when it originally got published? Other than the opening quote from some jackyapper it's a pretty good article.
    I think officially status at the time was on his radar and he has yet to announce officially as well... though this does sound fairly locked in... it's his kitty cat to let out of the bag if'n he chooses to pet it.

I meant Jones' projected finish... Jones' projected finish minus Annish's finish.
    These folks are used to daily up or down- if you toss in a column of linear pace based upon average for Anish that would let you run miles up or down next to it.

It'd be nice to see Heather's splits but that aint possible so linear average is all you can run.

And good fer Kathryn... regardless of the record there are literally three people in the world who have done a sub 60 day supported trip so if she can recover and continue:
    Matt, Joey, Anish
    Add four and count Ward Leonard for 60.5 days
    From the quote below- Branley Owen at 73 days and Snorkel at about 80 days for 5 and 6.

Then you're talking about 90 ish days and up. Think about that... I'm sure there are a few unclaimed under 90 day trips... but there are likely under 10 people in the world who have done the AT unsupported under 75 days.
    Interesting to note that Earl Shaffer ripped off a 99 day effort... I hadn't noticed that before.

From FKT- http://fastestknowntime.proboards.co...alachian-trail
    "Speed records on the AT are known going back to the first true thru-hike by Earl Shaffer in 124 days in 1948 (south to north). In 1960, Lochlen Gregory and Owen F. Allen completed the trail in 99 days (south to north), a time that was matched by Earl Shaffer in 1965 (north to south this time). Then, in 1970, Branley Owen dropped the AT record all the way down to 73 days, using good backpacker style which we call "self supported". Warren Doyle lowered the overall AT record to 66 days, supported at road crossings by his father during much of the hike."

Swami hiked October through to December in 72.5 days. I imagine there's dozens of undocumented sub 90, and even a fair few sub 80 day thrus. I finished in 3 months last year, summited with an 83 dayer, and met someone in Monson mid August who started June 1st (about 75 days in).

Swami hiked October through to December in 72.5 days. I imagine there's dozens of undocumented sub 90, and even a fair few sub 80 day thrus. I finished in 3 months last year, summited with an 83 dayer, and met someone in Monson mid August who started June 1st (about 75 days in).
    Yar... a few minutes after I typed that I'm thinking... Skurka, Swami, and who knows how many others. Probably a 60ish range who didn't say a thing too.

Yer quite right... under 90... ain't easy but isn't insane either and probably happens a dozen times a season these days. I wonder sometimes if coming from the PCT (with higher daily mileage expectations) has an effect on that as that's become just as common to hike that trail prior to the AT and once you got a number in your head...

75 days... getting there
    Sub 60 is party time.
    50... the next frontier though I'm mainly with Matt on that possibility for the foreseeable future.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++