WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    Watching them run the AT is long and boring. It's more fun watching them attempt the Barkley Marathons. Even better when Lazarus Lake lights up a cig in their face before deflating their ego with the time sheet.
    I need to learn about these Barclay Marathons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    Watching them run the AT is long and boring. It's more fun watching them attempt the Barkley Marathons. Even better when Lazarus Lake lights up a cig in their face before deflating their ego with the time sheet.

There's a great documentary about it. I think it's still on Netflix.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by MrClahn View Post
    Then those people probably aren't suited to a forum dedicated to trail running and speed hiking. Especially when there self declared interests are completely the opposite of that, and when they also seem to enjoy being argumentative and try to rehash discussions that have been had several times over about the way different people enjoy their time outside. Wouldn't you agree?
    I'm on the wrong forum because I disagree? I just don't understand why Whiteblaze has to have a forum dedicated to these endeavors. What's next, forums on Hiking the AT With a Tuba? Hiking The AT Backwards? Hiking The AT With A 100 Pound Pack? Or how about speed hiking the AT wearing a 100 lb pack?

Can the great outdoors be used for such events and competitions? Sure. Does Whiteblaze have to support and encourage them? Not so much.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I'm on the wrong forum because I disagree? I just don't understand why Whiteblaze has to have a forum dedicated to these endeavors. What's next, forums on Hiking the AT With a Tuba? Hiking The AT Backwards? Hiking The AT With A 100 Pound Pack? Or how about speed hiking the AT wearing a 100 lb pack?

Can the great outdoors be used for such events and competitions? Sure. Does Whiteblaze have to support and encourage them? Not so much.
    There is a dedicated forum to try to set rules against people like you that bad mouth every single thread that is started about trail running or FKT. If you find it boring and nothing productive to add then go troll another sub forum.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

Finishing after realizing the FKT was too ambitious would say more about a person than setting the FKT.
    I completely agree with you on this.

No, you're on the wrong forum cause you're just here to talk trash something other people enjoy. There's a dedicated forum because there's a community of hikers who do enjoy these types of endeavors. If there's enough people out there who want to discuss hiking the trail backwards with a tuba in their 100lb pack, then sure, let them have a forum for discussion as well. Why wouldn't Whitebaze, "A Community For Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts", have a place for this particular community of AT enthusiasts? And why do you (and many others) seem to have such a problem with people who choose to do the trail a mile an hour faster, or like hiking in the mornings and evenings?

41 miles day three.

You wake up in the wrong corner of the tipi Walter?
    Are you miffed you didn't get a sub forum dedicated to uncle fungi who hike with 100lb packs?

Yer a likeable enough fella with some nice enough trip reports many enjoy as they are. And yer ramblings are tolerated here just the same as these trips. That's despite the odds being very high that more folks are likely to take a fast and light trip than adopt yer style of trip. It's just walking... but walking over and over the same tiny patch year after year tends to wear a fair bit of things mighty thin.

This ain't exactly yer first season on whiteblaze here young fella... this ain't nothing new. Can't recollect any one getting on your threads to burn up 20 posts birthing turtles all over it. But you seem inclined to poop right in the center of this camp every time you walk by. I'd ask you to grow up but yer only one sturdy piece of Hilleberg coated nylon away from that long dirt nap as is. I know you tend to make camp fer a few days at a crack but don't it seem past due to shoulder that overloaded mystery ranch an move on?

To to the best of my knowledge nobody is planning an FKT in the Citgo...and you rarely venture much beyond it these days so other than Cyberhiking on WB seems an issue unlikely to effect you personally in anyway. I know you like to load up and cache enough stuff for any possible scenario that may occur but this "problem" seems to be a burden you can safely lay aside. Enjoy yer hike! Or go get a good sweat in, yer getting a bit crusty.

Well I, for one, consider these "Circus stunts" an abomination & disrespectful to the spirit of the trail; the trail was never intended to be the setting for such spectacles and they should be harshly shunned and discouraged.
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Well I, for one, consider these "Circus stunts" an abomination & disrespectful to the spirit of the trail; the trail was never intended to be the setting for such spectacles and they should be harshly shunned and discouraged.
    How is an unsupported FKT a "spectacle"? She's out there all by herself. Actually spending less time on the trail than many, so in that way it's lower impact. A speed hiker isn't leaving much of a footprint around camp either. Often not even cooking. She probably weighs a lot less than many too, and has a much lighter pack, so her step-by-step impact on the trail is less too.

Bunch of grumpiness around here. Just because somebody's approach is faster, or even to be the fastest, does not make it a bad approach. Hike YOUR own hike. Take all year if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    41 miles day three.
    3 day average around 36.3 miles. She needs to be doing 41.3 from the start (according to my math), and is now down about 14 miles or so overall, right?

Frankly, I'm pleasantly surprised at the 41 mile day 3. I hope she can keep it up!

How is an unsupported FKT a "spectacle"? She's out there all by herself. Actually spending less time on the trail than many, so in that way it's lower impact. A speed hiker isn't leaving much of a footprint around camp either. Often not even cooking. She probably weighs a lot less than many too, and has a much lighter pack, so her step-by-step impact on the trail is less too.

Bunch of grumpiness around here. Just because somebody's approach is faster, or even to be the fastest, does not make it a bad approach. Hike YOUR own hike. Take all year if you want.
    Apparently you missed the Jurek disaster on top of Mt. Katahdin recently, and then there was the young boy, "Backpacking Buddy" or some such, now we have a couple trying to haul an infant to set a "record", where does this madness end ???
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    You wake up in the wrong corner of the tipi Walter?
    Are you miffed you didn't get a sub forum dedicated to uncle fungi who hike with 100lb packs?

Yer a likeable enough fella with some nice enough trip reports many enjoy as they are. And yer ramblings are tolerated here just the same as these trips. That's despite the odds being very high that more folks are likely to take a fast and light trip than adopt yer style of trip. It's just walking... but walking over and over the same tiny patch year after year tends to wear a fair bit of things mighty thin.

This ain't exactly yer first season on whiteblaze here young fella... this ain't nothing new. Can't recollect any one getting on your threads to burn up 20 posts birthing turtles all over it. But you seem inclined to poop right in the center of this camp every time you walk by. I'd ask you to grow up but yer only one sturdy piece of Hilleberg coated nylon away from that long dirt nap as is. I know you tend to make camp fer a few days at a crack but don't it seem past due to shoulder that overloaded mystery ranch an move on?

To to the best of my knowledge nobody is planning an FKT in the Citgo...and you rarely venture much beyond it these days so other than Cyberhiking on WB seems an issue unlikely to effect you personally in anyway. I know you like to load up and cache enough stuff for any possible scenario that may occur but this "problem" seems to be a burden you can safely lay aside. Enjoy yer hike! Or go get a good sweat in, yer getting a bit crusty.
    Post nominated for Mini-Pulitzer of the Day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Earl Shaffer's thru-hike was at the time considered a spectacle and a stunt. As Ed Garvey noted of Eric Ryback, some march [hike] to the beat of a different drummer. Just FWIW.

3 day average around 36.3 miles. She needs to be doing 41.3 from the start (according to my math), and is now down about 14 miles or so overall, right?

Frankly, I'm pleasantly surprised at the 41 mile day 3. I hope she can keep it up!
    What is the "official" Miles this year?

She is at 109 after 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    What is the "official" Miles this year?

She is at 109 after 3 days.
    2,190 according to ATC.

Journal Entries
    Images

d4bca5de65ed41b9669106fde2080da3_-pinterest-music-memes-i-see-what-you-did-there-memes_475-539.jpeg
    .. ... ... .. .. ... ...
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

2016 Barkley Marathon.
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.runne...finishes%3Famp
    Only 100 miles.
    http://barkleymarathons.com
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    2016 Barkley Marathon.
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.runne...finishes%3Famp
    Only 100 miles.
    http://barkleymarathons.com
    Wayne

That is an awesome documentary, the race the eats it's young.

40's on the AT are tough.
    I'll gladly follow her trip.

When I see or hear people badmouthing people who do big miles, it ALWAYS brings to my mind the time my friend and I were doing the John Muir trail as fast as we could.
    Every night, after sunset, or before sunrise, when the albenglow was going on and we were witnessing some of the most beautiful colors I have ever seen in nature, 95% of the other hikers were in their tents, missing the show.
    Whatever floats your boat.

But to come into a forum and badmouth those following someone out there trying, is about as cool as me (who is not a dog fan) going into the dog forums and telling you all how much I dislike dogs.
    It ain't gonna happen.
    Cause I never go into those forums.
    Same with the women's.
    If they want to talk women things, with other women, who am I to butt in with my male opinions.

Enough said, Good luck to this girl who was smart enough and good enough (apparently) to get some sponsorship.
    Is it Eddie Bauer? I didn't know they were making gear for long distance hikers.
    Maybe they are starting to.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++