WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default zpacks zipper or no

Arc Haul zip vs arc haul
    or
    arc blast vs arc zip

I'm slowly gearing up to do some section hiking
    one of the things I have yet to do is upgrade my pack. I'll want something light, and I'll want something with a ventilated back. Pretty much seems to leave me between osprey and zpack. I had all but settled that on balance between price and weight I'd go with an osprey
    But
    doing some reading lately and I'm reconsidering just going for it and spending to save some weight.
    I haven't bought yet because I haven't completely settled on my other gear upgrades. Still need to lighten my shelter (currently using an REI half dome2), and I know that I don't want to carry too much in some of these packs...

anyway, I understand that the zipper is a potential leak point, and potential failure point. I guess it also adds a tiny bit of weight....
    but one thing I have never liked about my current pack ( a cheap Teton Sports) is the top load. I have always thought my next pack would have the front load zipper just so that I can get at thing in the pack without digging everything out
    but now that I'm thinking more about weight.

Anyone out there with hands on experience with their zip packs care to comment?

I haven't used it a lot yet but I like the arc haul zip. It has good capacity, easy to pack and get to gear, and is light. I still put my sleeping bag in waterproof liner bag but am not worried too much about slight chance of other gear getting wet. I had an Osprey AG 65 and this is much better and doesnt squeek.

I used the Arc Blast on my thru and put stuff in the mesh pocket that I needed to get to quick without opening the main pack. This included rain gear, food, water filtration, etc. I'm assuming that you will be putting these same things in the zip pocket. If it needs to be absolutely dry it goes in the main pack.

Images

What do you find yourself digging out from the bottom of the pack during the day? I have the basic Arc Haul, and always had top loader internals, at least since I got rid of that ^&*$# Kelty external frame back in the early 90s. I don't generally need to dig down very far during the day -- everything I need is on top or in the outside pockets.

Anyway my personal opinion is that zippers eventually fail and I'd rather avoid that. But YMMV.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I have both, and would recommend the ArcHaul Zip for most people. It is just so easy to get to thing in the pack and it carries extremely well.

I just got my Arc Haul Zip and will be using a liner for extra protection when I know rain may be or is expected. It's nice to be able to grab something easily with out digging into the whole pack. I keep my rain gear, water filter and tarp in the mesh side pockets I added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone else asked...what are putting in your pack at the bottom you might need to get to? Everything I may need, with the exception of my warm puffy, is either in outside pockets or at the very top of the pack. The puffy is in the top of the trash compactor bag and only under my food and cook kit...I'd have to take that out anyway to be able to open the trash compactor bag to get it.

I, personally, love the top loading simplicity of the basic Arc Haul

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    Arc Haul zip vs arc haul
    or
    arc blast vs arc zip

I'm slowly gearing up to do some section hiking
    one of the things I have yet to do is upgrade my pack. I'll want something light, and I'll want something with a ventilated back. Pretty much seems to leave me between osprey and zpack. I had all but settled that on balance between price and weight I'd go with an osprey
    But
    doing some reading lately and I'm reconsidering just going for it and spending to save some weight.
    I haven't bought yet because I haven't completely settled on my other gear upgrades. Still need to lighten my shelter (currently using an REI half dome2), and I know that I don't want to carry too much in some of these packs...

anyway, I understand that the zipper is a potential leak point, and potential failure point. I guess it also adds a tiny bit of weight....
    but one thing I have never liked about my current pack ( a cheap Teton Sports) is the top load. I have always thought my next pack would have the front load zipper just so that I can get at thing in the pack without digging everything out
    but now that I'm thinking more about weight.

Anyone out there with hands on experience with their zip packs care to comment?
    I don't get your rational. You talk about a noting a zipper adding to the wt of your ZP Backpack comparisons yet you fail to note that an Osprey pack in the same volume category as your ZP pack choices will be more than 2X the wt?

The ZP Zip versions, as far as I note for myself as a Arc Blast occasional user, is the WP ZIP versions are designed for wetter situations and/or by those would desire to store stuff outside the main body that needs this stuff to stay dry and obviously doesn't want to add a pack cover.

The #5 WP zipper is tough on the ZP Arc Zip and Arc haul Zip but overloading or overstuffing the front pocket puts undue stress on the zippered area possibly leading to failure. So, you might ask yourself, as others have said, what do you intend to store on the outside of any pack and in what conditions you plan to use this pack. IMHO, if you have the $$$, prioritize wt savings from here on out, are willing to let stuff get wet stored outside your pack or the stuff outside the pack is storm worthy, are only section hiking...go with the ZP Arc Blast or Arc Haul.

+1

I don't get the whole zipper thing and needing stuff from the bottom of the pack during the day.

However, I have a friend who is a hammocker and he has the Arc Blast Zip and says there is something about the zippered panel that makes packing easier. I'm hiking with him next week and will ask him the reason behind that.

Dogwood's point of the zipper being a weak point if overstuffing the pack is a good one. The Zpacks photo shows the pack filled with perfectly sized stuff sacks. I bet that doesn't happen much in real life.

If you don't want stuff falling out the top, you have to lay the pack down to zip it all the way open. That may or may not be a problem. Going back to my days with an external frame pack, these also has a large, front opening compartment which was always a pain to pack as things would keep falling out until the panel could be zipped up. But if you loaded it with the pack laying down, then getting everything to stack right wasn't easy.

So, while I can see some utility to the zipper, I think all in all one would be better off without it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I lay my pack down open the zipper and put in my sleeping bag and tent and put my sleeping pad and pillow in valley in between and secure with the cross straps that can be cinched to keep pressure off the zip pocket. There is also room for some stuffed clothes items here too. At the top of the zipper section of the main compartment is where I keep my rain gear and key pocket it is easy to get to but out of the way from the zipper pocket where I keep my water filter, poo kit, and first aid kit. The zipper in the main compartment is not a big deal either way, makes it a little easier loading it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the idea of the zip pocket as the net pocket has some issues. Can't really see the need for the full zip pack opening however. Once you get things streamlined on your hike you won't touch the main compartment during the day and will empty everything out at night. It might look handy to folks with little experience but is really not necessary.

With Z Packs warranty, I wouldn't worry too much about zippers being a fail point. I've been having the same internal debate lately. Am I the only one who just doesn't find the mesh pocket attractive? Just from a looks standpoint. I know that looks are secondary, but still...

A warranty is nice but it's still darn inconvenient having a zipper fail when you're in the woods.

Never thought about the mesh pocket being attractive or not, but it makes it super handy to find things quickly and to stuff/unstuff rain gear, hats and gloves while on the move. It can get snags and small tears, however... I've sewed up a couple of those in my Arc Blast, and fixed a couple of small punctures with Cuben repair tape. Definitely carry a couple of small strips of Cuben tape!

my experience is limited for sure.... and I can certainly imagine that an experienced hiker with minimal gear and an organized set-up may not have this issue. For me historically, it just seems that it never fails that I'll have to pull everything out to find that one thing. Just sorta like the idea of unzipping the pack like a suitcase, and pulling out the socks or shirt that I want, rather than pulling everything out of the pack every night. Kinda like using the pack as a drawer to keep stuff organized in the tent.
    Yes, it does seem kinda dumb as I am researching and gearing up to lighten my load..... it's just my experience to date.
    Honestly I think I'd like the mesh pocket for daily access stuff with the zip entry to the main pocket....but will likely go with the more traditional top load pack since it's proven....

You just have to ask yourself as you're packing, Will I need this today?

But you will find this true of experienced ULers or heavy haulers: The mantra is "A place for every thing, and every thing in its place" Virtually all of them can tell you instantly the location of any particular item in his or her pack.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 04-04-2017 at 07:29.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    my experience is limited for sure.... and I can certainly imagine that an experienced hiker with minimal gear and an organized set-up may not have this issue. For me historically, it just seems that it never fails that I'll have to pull everything out to find that one thing. Just sorta like the idea of unzipping the pack like a suitcase, and pulling out the socks or shirt that I want, rather than pulling everything out of the pack every night. Kinda like using the pack as a drawer to keep stuff organized in the tent.
    Yes, it does seem kinda dumb as I am researching and gearing up to lighten my load..... it's just my experience to date.
    Honestly I think I'd like the mesh pocket for daily access stuff with the zip entry to the main pocket....but will likely go with the more traditional top load pack since it's proven....
    The mesh pockets having damp/wet gear in them dries faster than the solid fabric w/the zip. They may give more very slightly too than the solid fabric.

As Moulder said, store the stuff you anticipate using that day on the outside of your pack for quicker access or place internally on top. Nice to have hip belt pockets to store on the go dense compact food, a small electronic piece(camera, Phone, MP, etc), maps in a side pocket, some extremity accessories(beanie, BUFF, hat, gloves, etc)

I like the ArcHaul top loader one compartment with the mesh for its simplicity, no need for 2nd zipped compartment. I keep gravity filter setup, ground cloth, wet rain gear in the mesh. If my tent is wet I keep it in the pack but outside the compactor bag liner. Two hipbelt pockets keep my phone,ditty bags, and snacks. I just finish 8 day trip with 11lb base. I think the pack is impressive.

++ New Posts ++