WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Pigpen aka Frankenfeet 2005 tarbender's Avatar
    Images

Default Six Moon Designs Tents?

Does anyone have any feedback on six moon designs tents? Tell me what's good or bad! Tell me if you love or hate them and why. Tell me. Tell me.

Cheers, Tarbender aka PigPen 2005

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

I have the Europa05 and couldn't be happier. The hybrid single wall tarptent roof with the double wall sides gives excellent ventelation and very little condensation. It goes up in less than a minute and is roomy enough for me, my gear, and my dog (on the occasions she goes with me). The biggest plus for me was the ability to sit up comfortably. I had a Virga (old style) and was very pleased with it - it was just too small for a big guy like me. The only negative thing I can report is the velcro fly (hey isn't that a ZZTop song??) The fly is a little difficult to close once you get inside the tent. It looks like Ron has fixed that issue with the 06 Lunar Solo e and hopefully that will change on the Europa as well.

I am lightening my load all the time - and this 2 lb tent really fit the bill for me (actually I think it comes in at 36 ozs...) If I decide to lighten up any more, I will consider adding a Lunar Solo e to my pack. Ron makes a quality product and the service I have received is excellent (people rave about Henry Shires for good reason - Ron has proven to be every bit as good in my book!)

Just an FYI - I just today received his Essence Pack - my first foray in to a frameless pack. So far it really seems like a winner... but bear in mind I have only taken it out of the envelope!
    So be it.
    --John

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Thumbs up

I've got the Lunar Solo-e and it's by far the best one-person shelter I've ever owned. Light but sturdy, easy to set up and very well made. Plus the customer service provided by Ron Moak is right up there with the best.

Over the years I've gone from double walled solo tents to single walled silnylon models. I carried the Wanderlust Nomad Lite on my thru in 2003. It worked OK but having to shove 2 hiking poles INSIDE the tent to set it up every night really got to be a pain in the kiester, especially in the rain !! The Lunar Solo-e only requires 1 trekking pole and it it placed on the outside of the tent. It is offset from the mesh door so that entry/exit is unobstructed. The mesh inside the tent is around the base, which prevents your sleeping bag from coming in contact with the silnylon, which can be moist with condensation.

I give it 2 thumbs up !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Oh - and I have found (at least with the Europa) that the front tent stake is the key to a good pitch. I used to carry a tiny needle like steak and upped it to a more sturdy Easton tent stake for better hold and support. no significant weight gain, but definitly a better pitch.
    So be it.
    --John

I don't have one, I have a decent older style tent along the same lines that's serving me well, but if I were to buy another, it would be a Lunar Solo.

Thumbs up I am really looking..

forward to getting the Lunar Solo e' I ordered from Ron !!
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

Thru' hiker one weekend at a time... vipahman's Avatar
    Images

Lunar Solo E is by far the best solo tent I have had. He has also updated it for 2006 with a zipper on the vestibule instead of velcro.
    -Avi
    AT completed: NJ6-1, NY13-2, CT5-2

I don't recall the name, but looked at a two person tent at the SORUCK a few weeks ago. I want it. The GF ain't keen on spending the money. We will see.

Thumbs up

I'v got the Europa ll Tent. I have used it about a dozen times and found it to be very adequate. I used it during some high winds and rain and was happy with its performance. Its roomy and well constructed. As others have mentioned - Ron makes an excellent tent and deserves many kudo's !

Over the past few years I have been using my Hen. Hammock more for my back's sake - NOTE: If you or anyone else is interested in owning The Europa ll Tent with vestibule (kelly green) in "as new" condition and seam sealed I'm willing to sell it for $175. original cost: $305.
    Many times I have thanked God for a bite of a raw dog"
    Robert Peary (1856-1920) Polar explorer

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I've got both the Europa II and the Lunar Solo. There are various posts about these tents on other WhiteBlaze threads, where I expound on the features and quality of these products.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

I used it a few times this summer and was really pleased with it, and stayed dry during a couple summer rain storms.

I used it in Ecuador this fall and was really unhappy with it, though I believe the weather had a lot to do with it. I was set up at real high elevations mostly in grass that was always wet in the morning with dew. It must have had to do with the climate at the tent was dripping often inside and out right after I set it up. I used it for a week backpacking and woke up with the inside wall coated in ice and much of it on my sleeping bag!

Hope it performs better on the PCT as I'm sure it will in drier conditions. The space is limiting for a big guy like myself and I often get drips of condensation from my head being too close to the tent material
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Default Six Moon Designs - No customer service, poor product

Hello,
    for what it is worth I started hiking the PCT this year with an enhanced Lunar Solo. After a month I was happy to get rid of it. Here's why:
    1. huge footprint for a solo tent, I like being able to pitch my tent in very
    out of the way places, this tent's footprint was larger than the 2 person
    BD tent I switched to.
    2. although this tent appears to have a lot of space, much of it has little
    use. this is the small space between the wall and the mesh. it is a design
    issue, not a matter of pitching the tent properly.
    3. quality, after barely a month this tent had holes in the canopy, and a
    major hole where the trekking pole tip pitches the tent. the design does
    not provide adequate coverage for the pole tip
    4. I contacted Six Moon about a exchange and was denied. Instead I sent
    the tent in for repair. While their shipping was fast, the repair was
    definitely of very poor quality.

my experience with this tent was horrible, and I would advise another product (think Henry Shires Tarp Tent)

++ New Posts ++