WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

GAME 06

Default Grand Canyon - South Bass to New Hance via the Tonto

Got back yesterday from the above hike.

Descent via the South Bass trail to the Tonto trail then east to Indian Garden. Up to the South Rim to resupply and back down. Then east on the Tonto to the New Hance trail back up to the Rim. Total distance about 105 miles.

Trail conditions on all the trails are poor to minimal in places as the trails are not maintained and have not been in some parts for a couple of decades (no money). There is heavy overgrowth forcing reroutes and trail finding as well as lots of washouts and erosion issues. This is eased somewhat in between the intersections between the Hermit Trail and the South Kaibab in the middle of the hike and then back to the same on the east end of the hike. There are a few places where if you slipped and slid off the slanted trail death would be certain and lots of cool exposure looking down into deep ravines and off cliffs.

The ascent up the New Hance was a good challenge at 4400 ft with washed out and rock slid trail as well as overgrowth. Lots of big boulder step ups, slippery ground with the standard AZ marbles and seas of small rocks, loose rocks abound. Much harder than any AT climb for reference. In the rain going up would be dangerous and down would be far worse. Up in the snow might be possible but only for an experienced mountaineer, down would require belays/rappels in some places.

BUT... a great hike! The canyon to the west is even more scenic than around the main north/south rim tourist locations. And we saw only 2 people until the 3rd day. The best views in the canyon are about 30 miles west from the Bright Angel Trail. Way to the east there were also virtually no hikers. Unusually for the canyon there was WATER everywhere almost - so no big water carries. And we got rained on on 4 days - may as well have been on the AT ha ha. It snowed on the rim two nights while we were there.

Definitely worth it if you have the time and some desert hiking experience. We took 9 days but it could be done in 7 for sure if you are fit and willing to walk most of the day and not sit around gawking. Making more than 2 mph overall on these trails would be hard and in some areas it will be down to 1 mph or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    Way to the east there were also virtually no hikers.
    We just got back from 4 days down the Tanner trail and back up the same way. Great stuff. Simply spectacular. Only water was the silty Colorado, but that's manageable. Came out on the afternoon that the snow storm came through.
    We saw maybe three other parties, all advanced hikers. This was not a place for beginners...

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey rock. That's the same route I'm planning in Oct. How many days did you take to do it?
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Journal Entries
    Images

Never mind I'm blind
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

That's a good hike Wyoming.

Did you check out Eleves Chasm? Was there anyone at the Havasupai Reservation Gate?

Now you have west of New Hance Tr to experience. That's as good.

GAME 06

Dogwood

No, unfortunately we did not go around the Royal Arch loop but it does sound great. Maybe I will get there sometime.

Yes the guard was at the gate and it was 25$. He glowered at us.

Met a Park Service ranger on the Tonto where the intersection is that leads one back up to Grandview point and got to talking to him. His job is on the SAR team for Denali and he spends a combined 6-8 weeks a year up on Denali at a camp at 14,000 ft they have where they can assist climbers who have issues. His idea of a vacation was running a bunch of the rapids by himself in a pack raft. He told me some of his buddies have run the entire Colorado in them and that was his goal. The whole thing in the pack with all of his gear did not weigh more than 25lbs. To be young.

sounds like a great hike, something like this has been on my list for some time now.
    A few questions:
    Many chances to explore slots along the way?
    Water availability?
    I know the Western end is supposed to be great, but are there any other bits that you add on to that route, I'm looking and there seems to be some other options around..
    Thanks So Much, I'm back out in the appalachians but am missing that desert a lot.
    Catna
    CatNap
    GA-ME

++ New Posts ++