WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Best Puffy Hooded Jacket for Thru-hike???

If I were to begin a NOBO hike on March 1st, what jacket should I get? Inquiring minds would like to know.

The one that's already in your closet.

Ok, I prefer down, with a hood,

I wouldn't hike in my Mountain Hard Wear ghost whisperer hooded down, but that's what I have. It's very light. Unsure how warm it will keep me.

You don't hike in a down jacket, but you sure want one when your not. Since it can still be really nippy through March, I'd get a warm one. There are quite a few to choose from.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Patagonia Nano Puff is warm + lightweight. Use your REI dividends to save some coin.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Massdrop has a Mountain Hardware at a good price that would meet your need and not bust the bank.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Images

A down parka with a hood in the 12 ounce range. Montbell makes some great ones.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Love my Montbell Alpinlite

Journal Entries
    Images

I actually have done 8 miles in sub zero temps in a down jacket at 3AM and feel free to learn from my younger miserable mistake. I sweated so bad into the jacket, it was hard to get it dry and if the car wasn't my destination... well it would have been a disaster. I was forced to bug out, at the time it was too cold to keep my dog alive, it was a good decision.

Today things are a little different. There is treated down. I only use this to complete my "elephant's foot"

Here is a taste. I would wait for a hooded version but they are hard to find, I did get one... the hood is awesome.

https://www.rei.com/product/898992/r...ud-jacket-mens
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I am planning a NoBo hike the first week of next March, and I'm going to be carrying my L.L. Bean synthetic puff jacket. I've experienced too much horizontal rain in the Appalachians to carry any down with me. The jacket is 15 oz. instead of 12, but it's kept me warm(ish) when walking in the rain. Dried pretty fast, too. And I can clean it to get the loft back in any regular laundromat.

I just ordered a Marmot Cloudbreak 30 bag to round out my down-free AT gear. Moosejaw says it'll be here Thursday.

https://www.rei.com/product/855747/s...wn-jacket-mens

Its what I use. It usually stays in the pack. Comes out when I get to camp. Or when at a peak and I want to stop and take in the views.

I just weighed it. 17.1 ounces.
    Last edited by egilbe; 04-02-2017 at 08:58.

If it's way below zero, with the wind howling, wearing a heavy down parka while hiking is wise, if not essential. Otherwise, it's camp gear. I'd say avoid the thin down jackets designed to look fashionable in a ski lodge, and get something with at least 5 ounces of down to keep you really warm while you relax in camp on those cold mornings, and to supplement your sleeping bag or quilt as needed.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

I have a North Face Down Vest, Jacks-R-Better Down Sleeves and a Black Rock Down Beanie. That way I can layer up or down as needed.
    Blackheart

Rab Xenon is very similar to a nano from Patagonia and any other synthetic full jacket or anorak. Bonus insulated when wet. Down is useless when wet.

Patagonia Nano is the new cat's meow.
    Let me go

I think the light puffy jackets like the nano puff and ex light type jackets don't make much sense for a thru hike on the AT.

When it's cold, they're not warm enough imo. And when it's warm, the humidity makes them uncomfortable.

I prefer a warmer down jacket for colder season and then a fleece hoody in the warmer months.

I take both when it's cold and stay warm.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

IMG_0025.JPG

Ghost Whisperer Hooded Down Jacket - 800 fill insulation - And according to them the world's lightest full-featured hooded jacket
    Q Shield- retains maximum loft when wet

I favor down, consider the water-resistant down; I like the Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer a lot - I use it more than any other puffy. In camp; to extend temp range of sleep system; do not wear it while hiking. Get a synthetic if wanting to wear while hiking. MHGW is good for everything but mid-winter. I got one oversized to fit more layers underneath if needed.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    I wouldn't hike in my Mountain Hard Wear ghost whisperer hooded down, but that's what I have. It's very light. Unsure how warm it will keep me.
    This is what I have. Haven't used it in wet conditions, so I don't know how good the "Q Shield" water resistance is. Never hiked in it, but it kept me toasty with just a light weight fleece under it at temp's in the low teens with a nice breeze blowing in camp. It does have good wind resistance. Only thing that I would like to have is a draw string on the hood, but it was not a deal breaker.

V8
    ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Go to Amazon and search (read comments), no need to pay exorbitant prices for name brands unless you have money to burn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++