WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It felt like more of a brief literary criticism than a book review to me. Or, more likely, something in between the two.

I *think* (and I'm googling here too, because I never came across this as a school of criticism in my English major days, so I could be completely off-base here) the last line means something like, "this book is more about a factual approach to the trail, rather than examining Bryson's personal experience and how it may have been similar or different to anyone else's experience with the trail." Less introspective, less self-examination, more talking about objective facts.

I don't think, personally, that that's a particularly valid criticism. There's nothing about the genre that says you must be introspective; of course, maybe he is being contradictory by saying he just wasn't changed by the trail. Not everyone will become a thru-hiker, and the fact of the matter is that more people will identify with Bryson (being unchanged and unwilling to continue, I guess) than with some huge mountaintop moment and pushing through to finish the trail (going by statistics).

But I couldn't really say. I've never read the book. Then again, I didn't read most of the books I wrote papers about for my English degree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Okay, I lied. I actually read the review. But here's the thing. Reviews of books, movies, etc., are very subjective. But some of the OP's criticisms are just pointless. Like
    His information is to serve an agenda and his research concludes at the point where the agenda has been satisfied. The agenda appears to be primarily to provoke people to keep reading.
    Uh, duh. In writing a good story, the most important thing is to capture and hold the reader's interest. Get them to turn the page. Background info is relevant only in so much as it advances the story. The best review for any book? "It's a page turner."

All good stories contain similar elements. The hook, the conflict, the obstacle(s), the (suspenseful) acts, etc. Bryson follows the standard form. Just as has virtually every successful author in history dating back to the Greeks.

Other criticisms seem to written more as an exercise in applying verbiage. Why confuse intent/meaning by using "phenomenology" when "popularity" would suffice. Uncommon words don't impress readers, they simply confuse them.

Bryson writes popular entertainment. That's his audience. Yes, you'll likely learn a few things from some of his books (not AWITW necessarily). But they aren't textbooks. And AWITW was written purely as a witty entertainment piece. In that, it succeeds.

Borrowing a bit from Robert McKee: The merits of serious works can be debated ad nauseum. But ultimately comedy/humor is either funny, or it's not. That's the only critique. You and I can come to markedly differently opinions on Citizen Kane, and respect each others long winded opinions. But if you don't find "The Pink Panther" or "A Fish Called Wanda" funny, all I can do is pity you.

It's just another review that did not move me one way or the other. I am a fan of Walk in the Woods and have enjoyed the novel multiple times. I have listened the the Audible edition a couple times after initially reading the book. I like the book so much I am afraid to watch the movie even though they cast it with some great actors.

I look forward to the next Bryson book.

Journal Entries
    Images

It appears that Mr. Quinton is a "day late and a dollar short," when it comes to his review of Bryson's book. All of us in the AT community have hashed the pro and cons of his book from the day it was published and again when the movie came out. Most agree that the author was in it for the $$$ and not to give a true depiction of thru-hiking the AT. That said, Bill Bryson has done more, because of "A Walk In The Woods", to popularize hiking on the AT in the last 20 years than any one.
    I have met Bill and discussed the book with him. Writing it was a venture to preform his lively hood as a writer in which he has been successful. Spending the time he spent on the AT was enjoyed by him, but he said that he could not see himself spending 6 months too thru-hike.
    I have many friends, along with myself, that have thru-hiked. Some hate his book, but many enjoyed it.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by tarpon View Post
    I like the book so much I am afraid to watch the movie even though they cast it with some great actors.
    I didn't read the book but saw the movie and thought it was hilarious.
    I didn't get any agenda or remember any research in it.
    I cant comment on the editing or cinematography because I did what I usually do when I watch a movie. And that's just simply watch a movie.

Great movie though.

Quote Originally Posted by tarpon View Post
    It's just another review that did not move me one way or the other. I am a fan of Walk in the Woods and have enjoyed the novel multiple times. I have listened the the Audible edition a couple times after initially reading the book. I like the book so much I am afraid to watch the movie even though they cast it with some great actors.

I look forward to the next Bryson book.
    Both were enjoyable, in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by RockenR View Post
    I cant comment on the editing or cinematography because I did what I usually do when I watch a movie. And that's just simply watch a movie.

Great movie though.

The phone call pre hike about the bears had me rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    It's funny the most-selling AT book was written by the least-miles author.
    This was also true of the PCT. 98% of people want a good story and not reality. I believe the Whiteblaze crowd is a little different since hiking the trail requires facing reality at times.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and could care less about anybody's review of it.

Quote Originally Posted by la.lindsey View Post
    I *think* (and I'm googling here too, because I never came across this as a school of criticism in my English major days, so I could be completely off-base here) the last line means something like, "this book is more about a factual approach to the trail, rather than examining Bryson's personal experience and how it may have been similar or different to anyone else's experience with the trail." Less introspective, less self-examination, more talking about objective facts.
    Phenomenal explanation — thanks!

(I liked the book for the way Bryson set the trail in the social and historical contexts as he passed through the living landscape. I learned nothing about hiking, other than the obvious how-nots …)

Great movie though.
    I watched the movie during the rain while on a section hike with my wife. Enjoyed it. Haven't quite read the book yet.

Bought a copy. Not sure where it is.

Some people prefer Mad Magazine, others prefer a bit more substance. Thats why there's chocolate and vanilla. I have always found Bryson to be informative and rather entertaining overall and tends not to use words that only .01% of the population can understand.

I Like Bryson.
    He is a different read. I thought his rendition of his hike adventure humorous. He is not a purist hiker. Especially for the AT. Me, I see the Trail from his point of view but my wife I want to hike the entire trail. But probably in sections though.
    I guess just enjoy the man's interpretation of his attempt.
    Nightwatchman

Paraphrasing Daniel Boone:

"I don't believe I was ever lost, But I was bewildered for a couple of days."

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Great movie though.
    I read the book and thought the first half was funny and interesting. The second half where he was all over the place was bad. How anyone could say the movie was great is beyond me. The one scene they actually filmed on the AT they showed in the wrong location. The bear scene was stupid and no those bears are not found in the eastern united states. My favorite scene is where they fall 40 feet off a cliff and just get up and brush themselves off. Superhuman?
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    How anyone could say the movie was great is beyond me. The one scene they actually filmed on the AT they showed in the wrong location. The bear scene was stupid and no those bears are not found in the eastern united states. My favorite scene is where they fall 40 feet off a cliff and just get up and brush themselves off. Superhuman?
    Its found under Comedy, not Documentaries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++