WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default waterproof stuff sack experiences

Hello all,
    I'm considering replacing my existing came-with-the-sleeping-bag 8x15 stuffsack with one of these, the 8x18 model, so that I can fit my liner as well.
    https://www.rei.com/product/862471/r...eight-dry-sack

Anyone know if the 18" length includes all the triple roll-top/buckle stuff? In other words, is it 8x18, but not all usable space? My local REI brethren are getting a little sick of me returning stuff, so I'd like to get some info beforehand.

I just stuff my quilt into the bottom of my pack inside a trash compactor bag. Seems to work pretty well.

Ditto, except I use a turkey oven bag

Depends on what kind of bag you have. REI is cool. Bring your bag and liner to the store and see which size fits best.

Done.

Or many people just put the sleeping bag in a trash bag and twist it up. Works quite well believe it or not.

Out here in the northeast, it's always so humid/wet/rainy. I put my quilts in a 12L dry bag inside a trash compactor bag pack liner.

My bag has never once gotten wet whilst in my pack. One time I did have a buddy football punt an open water bottle onto my footbox of my quilt. I had cold feet for the remainder of the trip

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I own the 15 L REI dry sack. Going to get a tape measure. Stand by...
    Laid out flat the bag measures 22" x 13" from the bottom seam to the top of the nylon bag, not including the black plastic top closure. The 15 L dry sack easily holds my Western Mountaineering Alpinlite Long bag, 32" x 84" with 22 ounces of down.
    I hope this helps.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries
    Images

If it was wet on the inside could you have turned it inside out?
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Yes of course. I would hope that never happened. Otherwise it wouldn't be a Dry Sack.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Yes of course. I would hope that never happened. Otherwise it wouldn't be a Dry Sack.
    Wayne

It can be turned inside out for drying. Once dry, turn it back.
    REI says that you need to roll the closure 3 turns for a waterproof closure.
    If you have an REI store handy just go there with your stuff. That's what I did.
    Wayne

Save your money as others said....compactor has never failed me and even line my "real dry bags" with them for on the water extended paddle trips. Trying to shave a little weight I recently bought a nylaflume bag off eBay which worked great on my last trip where kept all contents dry during a 24 hour drenching....also fills out your pack much better....

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Save your money as others said....compactor has never failed me and even line my "real dry bags" with them for on the water extended paddle trips. Trying to shave a little weight I recently bought a nylaflume bag off eBay which worked great on my last trip where kept all contents dry during a 24 hour drenching....also fills out your pack much better....

Thanks for the reminder on the nylaflume bags. I've got some stuff in a gear closet I bought for my Ursak and forgot about them.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I just stuff my quilt into the bottom of my pack inside a trash compactor bag. Seems to work pretty well.
    I am a splurge and got the zpacks roll top pack liner. After experiences with a syl nylong liner wearing holes due to friction while walking. The zpacks liner has held up very well. I was always skeptical of the compactor back as there is no roll top and snap method but others I hike with seem to like their compactor bags all the same.

I have found that eliminating stuff sacs for singular items makes the pack less bumpy
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

"No, I have never used the REI stuff sacks" was a perfectly acceptable answer.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Here's another one "I previously used REI stuff sacks and found a lighter, less bulky solution that keeps my sleeping gear and critical items dry."

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    What would your next question be?

Images

I consider nylon or cuben waterproof stuff sacks to be highly water resistant, same as a plastic garbage bag. For all in-pack water protection, garbage bags or ziplock bags have worked for decades for me without fail. The price difference allows for new bags on a regular basis, even mid-hike. Pin holes will occur with age in all bags, nylon, cuben, or plastic. The only time I use stuff sacks is for organizing the pack, or for a food bag, when the added strength is needed for hanging, and then I line the stuff sack with a plastic grocery bag.

I agree, just stuffing the sleeping bag into a plastic bag in the bottom of your pack is a MUCH superior way to go. It fills the voids in the pack better and only compresses the sleeping bag to the degree necessary, so is easier on the down (even better if you use synthetic).

REI has some goofy looking spokespeople.

Images

I too have the Zpacks roll top liner. It's lasted for three seasons now, and it's much easier for me to roll it than to twist a compactor bag. My quilt, clothing, and other things that need to stay dry go inside the liner. Easy to repair with duct tape if it ever gets a small hole.

On another use for waterproof stuff sacks: I like to keep my tent inside my pack, which is great, but a tent is often wet even from a little dew, and it can leak all over the inside of the pack. Which is suboptimal even when using the liner. So I have tried basically every light weight waterproof stuff sack on the market that would hold the tent. All of them except one allowed water to seep out, usually right through the fabric due to the pressure of the fully loaded and compressed pack. The only exception so far has been the Zpacks cuben fiber roll top stuff sack. That fabric has not allowed a drop of water inside my pack from the soaking wet tent. Very happy.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

One size fits all Internet advice doesn't always fit everyone.
    Sorry folks. I tried. My WM Alpinlite will not behave in a trash compactor bag. It took up half of the Catalyst. It behaved very nicely in the factory stuff sack. I assure you that it occupied every nook and every cranny of the bottom of the pack.
    Wayne

Venchka, thats not a waterproof stuff sack though, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Venchka, thats not a waterproof stuff sack though, correct?
    Do you mean the WM stuff sack supplied with the Alpinlite? It's made of coated nylon but I wouldn't call it waterproof.
    Why do you ask?
    Wayne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++