WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cigarette Butt Disposal, Flattening Beer Cans, Planting TP Bulbs, Fake Service Dog Training and most importantly Partying Til You Puke In Town.

Journal Entries
    Images

Are we describing the "crunge" merit badge? LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Crunge? I'm up for that one!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    ...It seems like so many people lose their interest in learning when they become adults. But developing new skills, earning recognition, striving for achievement - not only are those valuable in themselves, but they're a great way to model the attitude towards learning that we wish for young people to have.

I applaud your efforts and wish you well.
    Just to play Devil's Advocate: Those who have a true interest in learning always seem to do so. I don't think it's a lack of external organization or recognition that holds adults back. It's an interesting concept. But how many adults want that high a degree of structure/organization in what is their recreational time? Ranks and badges - and maybe even leading to rules and oaths - and, and, getting voted or even ordered off the island? Hiking clubs are about as much formal organization as many would desire.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Just to play Devil's Advocate: Those who have a true interest in learning always seem to do so. I don't think it's a lack of external organization or recognition that holds adults back. It's an interesting concept. But how many adults want that high a degree of structure/organization in what is their recreational time? Ranks and badges - and maybe even leading to rules and oaths - and, and, getting voted or even ordered off the island? Hiking clubs are about as much formal organization as many would desire.
    I think it will find a niche. Keep it fun, and entertaining and quirky and some will love it. Thanks!

have you ever heard of Bushcraftusa.com? they have a curriculum with certifications based on, well, bushcraft. much of this stuff canme directly from the Scouting manuals.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thread...s-index.27234/

Great idea!

I was a webelos leader when my son was young (webelos stands for "we be loyal scouts" for those poor souls not in the know).

The kids started off throwing candy wrappers and being afraid of a little unknown rustle. The young men ended up with Leave No Trace and a calm confidence in being outside on a gentle nite. At least that was my main focus!

Different folk will want different things. My mom was into tree identifying, brother liked birds, I liked learning how all of nature fits together and is so interdependent. Ecology,biology, geology. All great.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    Great idea!

I was a webelos leader when my son was young (webelos stands for "we be loyal scouts" for those poor souls not in the know).

The kids started off throwing candy wrappers and being afraid of a little unknown rustle. The young men ended up with Leave No Trace and a calm confidence in being outside on a gentle nite. At least that was my main focus!

Different folk will want different things. My mom was into tree identifying, brother liked birds, I liked learning how all of nature fits together and is so interdependent. Ecology,biology, geology. All great.
    I want to be sure to keep it diverse at higher ranks to keep interest

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    Great idea!

I was a webelos leader when my son was young (webelos stands for "we be loyal scouts" for those poor souls not in the know). .
    Now it is, didn't used to be, it was previously an acronym for "Wolf, Bear, Lion, Scout", the four ranks of cub scouts..... I wonder when it changed? I was a cub in the 60's.....

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Now it is, didn't used to be, it was previously an acronym for "Wolf, Bear, Lion, Scout", the four ranks of cub scouts..... I wonder when it changed? I was a cub in the 60's.....
    I was a cub in the late 70's. Pretty sure it was still Wolf, Bear, Lion, Scout at that time.

Have you looked at BPSA? Their Rover program is pretty good. I am working on setting up a group here in Central Florida.

Journal Entries
    Images

This is good stuff, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBobby View Post
    Have you looked at BPSA? Their Rover program is pretty good. I am working on setting up a group here in Central Florida.

Actually... I agree with many of the others regarding borrowing from the BSA or flat out copying...
    I'm an eagle scout also and found the gist of it pretty good. But maybe just twist it a bit for adults, though I know plenty of people who wished they put more into scouts and they may really enjoy earning their "GED Eagle" after the fact.

I think that would make it easy enough to also help others transition (if they'd like) into working with BSA and GSA in their local area as they would be directly training in things they can pass on seamlessly.

As fer the twist... Mags wrote a recent article on trail libations... such fun badges as trail cocktails, backcountry gourmet, sex in the outdoors, etc might be fun topics too.

Certain wilderness survival (or bushcraft now) skills are NC-17 or too risky for the scouts and would better fit or more easily be covered in an adult setting.

My encouragement to you for sure... too many people are floundering and these skills are wanted by more who are stuck getting useless youtube tutorials rather than solid field craft.

So I say... why reinvent the wheel when you're taking on so much already. Pick up the basics from the BSA and modify as needed.

I'm up in Valparaiso, IN these days and while I really couldn't volunteer too much time... I might be able to do a simple MYOG meeting/tutorial for your group at some point at my sewing shop if you are interested. I always wished that scouts had focused on that more and found it odd that with all the silly crafting we did... that very practical skill was missed. Even if folks don't get into MYOG... having the ability to make a stuff sack or even understand a few basics helps big time with buying gear and/or repairing and maintaining it. I would suggest you find out if you have a sewing machine or someone in your group with local access to such a thing (or a group buy on one) so you could make a badge out of it and perhaps even make some gear for the group.

Anywho- best of luck with the project.

Something to think about. But instead of a test to show they learned something perhaps have them teach it to someone or a small group. Knowledge sticks better when it's shared.

Journal Entries
    Images

Absolutely. Army calls it "see one, do one, teach one." Thanks!

The BSA has a thing called Woodbadge. it is for adult leaders. look at some of that stuff. sounds like something that could work. Good luck.
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++