WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Like scouts for grown ups

Looking for ideas here. I've started a group that is like scouts for grown ups, and I'm trying to nail down a rank structure that members attain by progressively building up a solid set of outdoor skills. Looking for ideas for the proper skill progression. I'm thinking LNT, wilderness first aid, hygiene, orienteering with both GPS and map/compass, common knots, seasonal clothing and gear selection, outdoor cooking, etc. Feel free to chime in with advice. Would also love it if experienced WB members gave permission to use tutorial YouTube vids, etc. also. I'm having fun with this. Link in sig line.

Firelighting, fire building, friction firelighting, bird identification, tree and plant identification, wild edibles, primitive shelter building (kind do hard to practice that one unless you have access and permission to some land), knife axe and saw skills, etc.

If you search on YouTube for "Bushcraft Skills" or "Survival Camping" or the like, there will be hundreds of videos that will come up. Two YouTube channels that I've enjoyed are Paul Kirtley (he runs a bushcraft school in England and has tons of content on his website and on YouTube) and "Survival Russia" on YouTube (he's a crazy Danish guy who now lives in Russia and I'd say he's the real deal when it comes to winter survival in very cold conditions)

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for the input!

Trail ediq

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Oh Rolf anyway. Try that again.

Trail etiquette, trail protocol, trip planning and preperation, conditioning and exercise, logging and communicating, post trip debriefing.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    Trail etiquette, trail protocol, trip planning and preperation, conditioning and exercise, logging and communicating, post trip debriefing.

Awesome,thanks!

Journal Entries

I don't have anything to add, just encouragement. It seems like so many people lose their interest in learning when they become adults. But developing new skills, earning recognition, striving for achievement - not only are those valuable in themselves, but they're a great way to model the attitude towards learning that we wish for young people to have.

I applaud your efforts and wish you well.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think the same thing, and I appreciate your encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I don't have anything to add, just encouragement. It seems like so many people lose their interest in learning when they become adults. But developing new skills, earning recognition, striving for achievement - not only are those valuable in themselves, but they're a great way to model the attitude towards learning that we wish for young people to have.

I applaud your efforts and wish you well.

How about volunteering with youth and teaching/sharing these skills? Girl Scouts ALWAYS need female leaders, Boy Scouts, Venture Crews, and other youth organizations can always benefit from volunteer leadership - even if not as a dedicated, uniformed leader for a den or troop.

I've gotten way more personal benefit from being a scout leader than all of the mountaineering, outdoor skills, and survival training I've attended combined. What is often overlooked is that the outdoors is simply the classroom - the lessons are in the patrol method of leadership and development of character.

Sticking to topic, get a Boy Scout handbook and use that as a guide, you can also purchase merit badge guidebooks for more intensive study.
    Most of the outdoors-related skills:

First Aid (basic lifesaving, wilderness first aid), land navigation, orienteering, search & rescue, canoeing, kayaking, communications/signaling, rock climbing, knot-tying, wilderness survival, swimming, lifesaving, nature study, etc.

Images

Here's a link to the Colorado Mountain club's "Wilderness Trekking School", with a syllabus and a PDF manual. This is a pretty cool "beginner" outdoor class teaching many of those things you mention in the OP, just another reference for you:

Overview:

http://hikingdenver.net/firstpage/wts/overview-of-wts

Student Manual:

http://hikingdenver.net/firstpage/wts/student-manual

The CO Mountain Club is pretty much exactly like "Boy scouts"(or girl scouts) for grown ups.
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 04-04-2017 at 12:27.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks tarditi! I've volunteered in Scouting in the past, and I'm an Eagle Scout myself, so I know they're always looking for good leaders. Thats why I want this group to "template over" whatever else the individuals are doing. IT will make them better leaders, more experienced outdoors, and of more benefit to the kids they're being a mentor for. But there are those who don't want to volunteer, too. It should be equally rewarding for anyone who puts effort into it. And you are right, the leadership and teamwork skills those organizations embody can truly be life changers for the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by tarditi View Post
    How about volunteering with youth and teaching/sharing these skills? Girl Scouts ALWAYS need female leaders, Boy Scouts, Venture Crews, and other youth organizations can always benefit from volunteer leadership - even if not as a dedicated, uniformed leader for a den or troop.

I've gotten way more personal benefit from being a scout leader than all of the mountaineering, outdoor skills, and survival training I've attended combined. What is often overlooked is that the outdoors is simply the classroom - the lessons are in the patrol method of leadership and development of character.

Sticking to topic, get a Boy Scout handbook and use that as a guide, you can also purchase merit badge guidebooks for more intensive study.
    Most of the outdoors-related skills:

First Aid (basic lifesaving, wilderness first aid), land navigation, orienteering, search & rescue, canoeing, kayaking, communications/signaling, rock climbing, knot-tying, wilderness survival, swimming, lifesaving, nature study, etc.

Journal Entries
    Images

colorado_rob,

This is excellent, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Here's a link to the Colorado Mountain club's "Wilderness Trekking School", with a syllabus and a PDF manual. This is a pretty cool "beginner" outdoor class teaching many of those things you mention in the OP, just another reference for you:

Overview:

http://hikingdenver.net/firstpage/wts/overview-of-wts

Student Manual:

http://hikingdenver.net/firstpage/wts/student-manual

The CO Mountain Club is pretty much exactly like "Boy scouts"(or girl scouts) for grown ups.

How to load and adjust a backpack, including some of the essentials to pack.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    I've started a group that is like scouts for grown ups, and I'm trying to nail down a rank structure that members attain by progressively building up a solid set of outdoor skills.
    US miltary for some of the roles?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries
    Images

Mags,

Or spoofs thereof...that is a possibility. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    US miltary for some of the roles?

I'm puzzled. If the OP want suggestions for rank names / titles I'd go for the Junior Woodchuck titles, always wanted to meet an official B.L.O.W.H.A.R.D (have met plenty of un-official ones).
    Or are Categories for Skill Levels sought? If the latter, and we are talking _senior_ life skills (yes?) maybe BLOWHARD does qualify? (Firmly tongue in cheek here.)

as a life scout i would recommend considering most of the things in actual scouts for those who missed out as a kid. If than after a set point develop more advanced skills that branch into more survival and life skill areas. I would say an important goal should be to make the individuals completly self sufficiant in both the wilderniss (with bushcraft and minimal gear) and regular every day life. Awareness of gear and such should be included too. Just my opinion and possible ideas. BEST of LUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Looking for ideas here. I've started a group that is like scouts for grown ups, and I'm trying to nail down a rank structure that members attain by progressively building up a solid set of outdoor skills. Looking for ideas for the proper skill progression. I'm thinking LNT, wilderness first aid, hygiene, orienteering with both GPS and map/compass, common knots, seasonal clothing and gear selection, outdoor cooking, etc. Feel free to chime in with advice. Would also love it if experienced WB members gave permission to use tutorial YouTube vids, etc. also. I'm having fun with this. Link in sig line.
    Speaking as a Scout leader, (and borrowing some from later posters), you need to add things like the 5 Ws of site selection (water, weather, wildlife, wind, widow-makers), etiquette (hiking, fishing, etc.), knots, fire building, knife sharpening, sanitation, bear bag hanging, etc.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Speaking as a Scout leader, (and borrowing some from later posters), you need to add things like the 5 Ws of site selection (water, weather, wildlife, wind, widow-makers), etiquette (hiking, fishing, etc.), knots, fire building, knife sharpening, sanitation, bear bag hanging, etc.
    Awesome, TY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++