WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Cool Dog Pack too tight or too loose

Hi! I have a 22lb dog who is right in between the XS and S sizes with the Ruffwear Approach Pack. The XS fits a little tight (1 finger in between strap and dog) on the loosest setting... the S fits a tad bit loose on the tightest setting (3 fingers in between dog and strap)... Do you have any advice on which to use? I don't want him to chafe with the larger one, but want him to not be too constricted with the XS. Thanks for any advice you can provide!

You can get a 0.13 lb dog from Zpaks

tan-chihuahua-puppy.jpg

Why bother at all? A dog that small shouldn't carry more then 2-3 pounds anyway so why burden the poor dog down at all?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I replied to your PM

I've been in your shoes..my 20lb jrt had both sizes of the ruff wear approach pack but after getting rubbed raw from mud and chafe I ditched it. I got tired of carrying that damn pack. As SLO said it's not worth it. He carried a few turbo pup bars on one side and his fleece in a ziplock on other side...just carry his stuff...it's really minuscule....other than lil food he has a small down bag so easily packs with my ul stuff in my pack liner. It I do put his gear in a ziplock in case of fleas or ticks.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thansk for the advice everyone! I really appreciate it. Good point about not even worrying about it. I will weigh his stuff and see how it adds to my pack.

looks awesome!

What breed and what type of mileage do you hike? I tend to hike around 20mpd so personally I'd rather my lil pup not carry anything.....he usually eats what I have for dinner so doesn't add much food weight really....loves him some Cabot seriously sharp chedder, pepperoni and peanut or almond butter.......

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    What breed and what type of mileage do you hike? I tend to hike around 20mpd so personally I'd rather my lil pup not carry anything.....he usually eats what I have for dinner so doesn't add much food weight really....loves him some Cabot seriously sharp chedder, pepperoni and peanut or almond butter.......

Mentioned to you before, but for others since you mention it. Be careful with peanut butter and check the ingredients...many PB companies are adding Xylitol to their product which is toxic to dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Mentioned to you before, but for others since you mention it. Be careful with peanut butter and check the ingredients...many PB companies are adding Xylitol to their product which is toxic to dogs.
    Thx for reminding me! I need to start checking brands...you recall on top of your head who adds it? Normally I buy Justin's if it's a short trip as the packs are convenient but hate to create more waste so on longer trips it varies...

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Thx for reminding me! I need to start checking brands...you recall on top of your head who adds it? Normally I buy Justin's if it's a short trip as the packs are convenient but hate to create more waste so on longer trips it varies...

I don't eat the stuff (although I wish I liked it for trail food) so I can't point you in the right direction. I'm sure a quick Google search will aid you, but probably going to be more of the looking at ingredients when shopping. I'd hazard a guess that the more natural and smaller name brands are less likely to have Xylitol in them.

I don't eat the stuff (although I wish I liked it for trail food) so I can't point you in the right direction. I'm sure a quick Google search will aid you, but probably going to be more of the looking at ingredients when shopping. I'd hazard a guess that the more natural and smaller name brands are less likely to have Xylitol in them.
    Yea kind of what I was thinking....

I've never heard of these brands fortunately but will be more careful in future...

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/xyl...nd-nut-butters

From the article link posted above.... "So far, mainstream peanut butter brands haven’t started using xylitol—only the three specialty brands include it in their formulations."

I didn't want anyone thinking that the standard PB bought in your local grocery store was in this category.

++ New Posts ++