WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The online registration is "a breeze" to sign up for your hike anyway. Just have your plan ready 30 days ahead of your first night in the park, log on that very day, and it'll cost you $4 per night with max. $20 for up to 7 nights. Then if really prefer staying on the AT but wonder about being crowded at the shelters, check the registration site again a day or two before you leave home to see how many spaces are left at each additional campsite or shelter that you might be tempted to camp at instead of what you signed up for. Some of these would be an out and back off the AT while some would be in a loop where you miss some of the AT. Some of the closest non-AT options are (Wto E) #9 or 10 instead of Russell or Spence Field, Kephart Shelter or #31 Porters Creek (via unmaintained trail) instead of Icewater Spring, #36 or 37 Walnut Bottom instead of Cosby Knob. If these campsites have more than half the spaces still open, you should be safe to detour and camp with your original permit although you will have more miles than a straight through AT hike.

Images

Think twice about Porter's Creek bushwhack. Most people would not be too happy trying that route with a pack

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

oops, I just said that without yet trying it, gollwoods.

Images

I did .it up from Porter's Creek with a day pack. A few tangles and crawl unders along the creek then steep about a 1/2 mile per hour for a 2 mile hike

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++