WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default cooking for a dog on the trail

After trying a couple canned dog foods, I cook full time for my dog at home. The process is buying a few pounds of chicken legs, boiling them for a few hours, straining the broth and to use for a big batch of millet, then mixing that with the chicken, bones removed. Then I add some variety to that base with a rotation of steamed carrots, diced raw turnips, hard boiled eggs, crumbled sharp cheddar, ground flax, olive oil. It does not take too much time and I usually get it done in between what I do for my other cooking, and I feel better knowing the food is without the super long list of additives that are usually found in prepared dog foods and kibbles. I am trying to figure how I to do something similar on the trail without carrying fresh meat. I figure the bulk of the meals will still be millet, easily prepared in a pot cozy with boiling water. My thoughts have been toward bringing dried or cured meat such as jerky or salami, of which I would use a few ounces added to the boiling water before removing the pot from the heat. While the grain is almost done but still steaming, a few veggies can be thrown in on top and then everything can be buttered up with olive oil. This also seems like a good way to keep the weight down on dog food. Does anyone else cook for their dogs on the trail and have any suggestions? I think dried or cured meat is usually between $10 - 20 and up, though is there a way of adding non-premium meats that are less expensive?

I might mix some warmed water into on trail meals or in town microwave some hamburger or chicken breast adding into dry dog food.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gothicsurf View Post
    After trying a couple canned dog foods, I cook full time for my dog at home. The process is buying a few pounds of chicken legs, boiling them for a few hours, straining the broth and to use for a big batch of millet, then mixing that with the chicken, bones removed. Then I add some variety to that base with a rotation of steamed carrots, diced raw turnips, hard boiled eggs, crumbled sharp cheddar, ground flax, olive oil. It does not take too much time and I usually get it done in between what I do for my other cooking, and I feel better knowing the food is without the super long list of additives that are usually found in prepared dog foods and kibbles. I am trying to figure how I to do something similar on the trail without carrying fresh meat. I figure the bulk of the meals will still be millet, easily prepared in a pot cozy with boiling water. My thoughts have been toward bringing dried or cured meat such as jerky or salami, of which I would use a few ounces added to the boiling water before removing the pot from the heat. While the grain is almost done but still steaming, a few veggies can be thrown in on top and then everything can be buttered up with olive oil. This also seems like a good way to keep the weight down on dog food. Does anyone else cook for their dogs on the trail and have any suggestions? I think dried or cured meat is usually between $10 - 20 and up, though is there a way of adding non-premium meats that are less expensive?
    Would be nice if my wife would cook that nice of a meal for me LOL

Is it possible to batch cook and dehydrate so all you have to do is rehydrate and toss in a shot of olive oil when cooking? It would be lighter than carrying fresh food.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Would be nice if my wife would cook that nice of a meal for me LOL
    She's heard enough about your cooking ideas.

I could imagine the conversation around your table after the wife whips up something tasty for you.

So, honey did you use the Venom or Super Cat stove? How much fuel did you use? What kind of fuel did you use? Did you use a windscreen? What was the starting temperature of the water? How much water did you use? What's the elevation you warmed the water? What pot did you use?

++ New Posts ++